Administrator

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 11:58am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I didn't formally study a lot of things, but have independently researched and leaned quite a lot. Normally faster, and in more detail than if learned in a formal setting. Formal teaching is usually geared towards the lowest common denominator, which I find restrictive. My point is that assertions are being made based on assumptions. Neither you or I have any idea where the weapons forms come from. And you're correct, I need to stop, this is pointless. I think I've already established that TOAS is based on CMA, and believe that Nabard currently is modified TOAS. Goodbye, and have a nice life.
    In other words you have no clue and are self taught. Gotcha.

You said it is Persian evolution which it is not. It is a CMA based art as we have said. It doesn't magically become Persain because, he teaches in Persia.

That was and is the issue. You tried to take it somewhere else.

However, you kind of derailed into talk about other topics which you have some understand, but others have a lot of understanding. You are talking to some people on this board who have trained in these arts for decades.
    He is self taught and explains his authority saying "my research and lack of hands on experience trumps traditional teaching methods."

Bullshit.

I think Omega, Ming, and your instructor would find that very insulting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that is pretty insulting, and is a slap in the face to pretty much everyone.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad I ran into this discussion and confirmed I'm not crazy by thinking the same thing (CMA with a Persion badge) when I came across the Nabard site. I'm in Pensacola and these guys are more concerned with fitness than the actual art. I have nothing against working out, and think its an important aspect of training, but I'm paying to learn an art.

Also, this is what I'm supposed to look forward to?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTo5mRKDWmM
    "By constantly flanking and dodging the opponent. The Nabard practitioner uses a "circumnavigational" strategy to manipulate combat."

Where was the flanking and dodging? Did I miss it?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 9:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a big article on the front page of the Pensacola News Journal about this guy! I thought it may offer a little insite into his school. Also, thought it was pretty funny that he has isolated everyone under the age of 35 and moved them out of his market population.
    http://www.pnj.com/article/20111207/...-spoiled-learn

There are no trophies for participation.
    No "A's for effort" or certificates for showing up.
    No hierarchy of rainbow-hued belts.
    And beginning Jan. 1, people under 35 need not apply to train with martial arts Master Marco Safakhoo.
    Safakhoo, 53, has been teaching martial arts for decades. He teaches a Persian combat art called Nabard at his studio, Nabard Combat/Fitness on Schwab Drive in Pensacola, said he has grown tired of whining from younger students who always seem to need a pat on the head.
    "I am doing this because I am very disappointed in America's younger generations who seem to expect instant gratification in lieu of hard work and who think they can demand respect without first giving respect," he announced on his website last week. "I will no longer waste my time and energy on anyone who wants something for nothing — results without effort — reward without sacrifice."
    Generation Y or Millennials — those born between 1979 and 2002 — have been widely labeled by employers and some sociologists as the "trophy generation" with self-esteem to spare and a sense of entitlement.
    And Safakhoo said the characterization is correct.
    An insstructor in Pensacola for 30 years, he said he has noticed a disturbing trend in the past 10 years: Many 15- to 30-year-olds commit to be students, then quit within a month.
    Young people can't face that they're uncoordinated, out of shape, undisciplined and have no respect for themselves or others because they've always been told they're wonderful and accomplished, he said.
    "If they're fat, I tell them they're fat," Safakhoo said. "They don't benefit from lies. They can make a change and be healthy, but it is not a quick fix. This is raw, natural fitness."
    Instead of feeling happy to discover and work on themselves, they feel embarrassed, he said. Then, because they've never truly experienced discipline or hard work, they give up. Five people quit just last month, he said.
    Commitment a must

Safakhoo said there is no room for these personality flaws in Nabard, an intense practice that includes grappling, weapons handling, meditation, pain resistance and endurance.

His studio is stocked to the ceiling with handmade log weights, duct-taped training dummies, chains, shackles and ancient weapons. The concrete floor has no padding for egos, he said.
    For him, $100 a month from fewer, committed students is infinitely more valuable than taking payments from young people who will drop out.
    "I am a teacher, not a salesman," Safakhoo said. "Teachers don't sell a product. I don't have to prostitute my art."
    Safakhoo is not worried about losing potential clients. The breed of people who seek his instruction will not vanish, he said.
    'Reality of life'

People like Jean Wallace, 74, who attends 5:30 a.m. classes four times a week, in a studio with no air conditioning, no carpeting and no gimmicks are not lying to themselves, he said.
    Wallace became Safakhoo's student in 2000 and understands why his time is valuable. She said doctors had to adjust her pacemaker because they were not used to seeing someone so active.
    "The neat thing about Master Safakhoo is that you have his undivided attention," she said. "He watches everyone, so you have to be serious about it because he spends so much time with you."
    Fellow student Brian Hood, 34, has shown his dedication to Nabard for 2 1/2 years, even though he falls into the now-banned generation.
    "Master is so involved with his students and some don't stay long enough for him to get to know them," Hood said. "Many are not comfortable with competing against themselves so they need some outside benchmark, like a belt."
    Exceptions might be made for students under age 35 who show exceptional desire to participate, Safakhoo said.
    But he emphasized he is neither a baby sitter nor a cheerleader.
    "I teach students the reality of life."
    I think this is awesome marketing....no!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 11:13am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    There is a big article on the front page of the Pensacola News Journal about this guy! I thought it may offer a little insite into his school. Also, thought it was pretty funny that he has isolated everyone under the age of 35 and moved them out of his market population.
    http://www.pnj.com/article/20111207/...-spoiled-learn

I think this is awesome marketing....no!
    Hell of a way to get your school some publicity.

I left this innocuous comment:
    I respect the fact that Mr. Safakhoo feels free to speak his mind. I agree that sometimes people need to be told things as they are without sugar coating it. I'm 27 and I find his statements a little off-putting but I know I would prove him wrong.

I also, offer this, martial arts are not for everyone. I have trained in various arts in the Pensacola/Gulf Breeze area for the past 7 years but not with Safakhoo's group. It is common for students to come and go frequently at all martial arts schools the various reasons for this are irrelevant. I don't believe today's generation is any different than past generations. If you could provide tangible evidence of a martial arts school's retention rates from say the 1970s there may be more of an argument. How many over 35 year olds have tried the school mentioned? How many have stayed?

In short, the article is a good way to drum up some publicity for the school. If you don't like Safakhoo calling you fat go prove him wrong that's the marketing strategy.
    Upon reading it I think I came off a little friendlier than I wanted but whatever.

I also found this gem in the comments:
    My son trained w/ this guy years ago and I found him to be rude, arrogant and had significant anger issues. My granddaughter came w/ me to pick up my son and while we were waiting and watching the class she began talking and he started yelling at her. She was three. I got really mad and took my son out of there. I question his qualifications as I never saw he was certified in anything and he was very vague as to where he got his training. He is from Iran which he calls Persia and gets insulted if you ask him anything about his training. We never saw him exhibit any type of expertise except a picture of him doing something w/ a sword. I notice all his current students have commented positively about him. I wonder what his ex-students say?
    to which I replied:
    Quite insightful! Many people new to martial arts don't even think of looking into the credentials of potential instructors. It is quite common for instructors to play off the ignorance of those outside the martial arts community by padding resumes and bending truths. Even worse some groups form a cult like mentality where the head instructor is given godlike admiration. There is a website dedicated to quality control and investigation of martial arts organizations: Bullshido.com.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 11:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A stubborn, bigoted Iranian MA instructor with a hot temper and little patience who hates kids, teens, AND young adults and demands utter submission from his students?
    Yeah no red flags with Nabard...

He's basically an old fart who likes Gen Y stereotypes and caters to tired and elderly (i.e. more wealthy, fewer questions)...easy to dominate folks. Yep, the same folks that get taken advantage of by fraudsters and scam artists all the time.

Safakhoo said there is no room for these personality flaws in Nabard
    Oh that's great. You must also be of pure blood, I supposed, to train with his Persian Majesty.

The writing is all over the wall on this one, methinks.

And Bullshido.com??? ....is so...commercial.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/08/2011 11:43am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 1:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    Hell of a way to get your school some publicity.

I left this innocuous comment:
    Upon reading it I think I came off a little friendlier than I wanted but whatever.

I also found this gem in the comments:
    to which I replied:
    Ha! Yeah, that's a good comment you left on there. I thought about just linking pages from here on there, but hopefully people will do a little search! Most people who live around here know the place is a joke.

I was showing the article around the office, and even people who are completely ignorant of martial arts, thought the guy was a pompous jack ass.

Some of the comments on the page are pretty funny!
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234