Posted On:
    9/18/2009 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Even Bigger than Brock

He weighs 305 pounds.

He's won the World's Strongest Man competition FIVE TIMES.

...and he's coming to MMA

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Super Mariusz.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...article&id=667

The whole thing's gotten me thinking a lot about scale. Brock is the biggest guy in the UFC, at 265. Japan's got freaks like Hong Man Choi, Sapp, and Bigfoot Silva. Now we have an EVEN bigger monster entering the sport, who legitimately claims the title of being the STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD. How much bigger can we go?

I know the Sumo have never done particularly well, but I think that with proper training, they'd be a force to be reckoned with (large mass, low center of gravity, grappling experience). Asashoryu, the "bad boy" of sumo, already comes in at 300 lbs. Others have fought at 500. "Tiny" Emanuel Yarbrough weighed in at a whopping SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS.

The BJJ vs. Massive Strength thread got me thinking: If we theoretically got all these massive people up to proper skill level, will we simply see the domination of size in the heavyweight divisions?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 7:15pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    The BJJ vs. Massive Strength thread got me thinking: If we theoretically got all these massive people up to proper skill level, will we simply see the domination of size in the heavyweight divisions?
    1. If there were more huge people in heavyweight divisions, they could create superheavy divisions. That’d be nice (see also: Brock).
    2. That’s a pretty big “if”—huge people are rare, exceptionally skilled people are (by definition) rare, the intersection of these groups should be even smaller.
    3. If we do accept the “if”, then it seems almost a matter of course. It’s pretty generally accepted, I think, that size and strength are advantages that require superior skill to offset: If you simply assume the skill offset away, then of course the bigger people are (generally) going to win. But it depends on how exactly you define a “proper” skill level...
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 7:17pm

Style: Greco Roman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I seen him before or I am mistaking him for someone else, anyways, with great skill this guy will be a hard challenge, lets see his heart in fighting though
    that strength wil help ALOT

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That dude better lay off the roids. He is so muscle bound I doubt he can punch as hard as if he lost a few pounds, and eased up on the upper body weight lifting.

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meby View Post
    That dude better lay off the roids. He is so muscle bound I doubt he can punch as hard as if he lost a few pounds, and eased up on the upper body weight lifting.
    I'm generally one of the nicer guys on this board, and I rarely tell people to get fucked.

So, feel honored that I'm telling you to get fucked.

YouTube - Mariusz Pudzianowski - Truck Pull

Yup, takes an unbalanced upper body freak to pull a truck.

Jackass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that guy used to box (the strong man). I'm not sure if he went pro for a short period or not but I'm pretty sure he has SOME combat sport experience.

I do hope his opponent breaks the mold for the "FREAK SHOWS of size" in combat sports and wins. But I'm probably wrong and strong guy will win via FATALITY and rip the dudes spinal chord out or something...

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:33pm

Style: Greco Roman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if Mariusz gets a hold of you then your in for some serious trouble and will need to keep your skill good and break his posture as much as possible because his strength will definently make up for any of his lack of skill, that would be his weakness but people with great strength can have great skill :),

does any one knows when he is going to fight?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:47pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    I think that guy used to box (the strong man). I'm not sure if he went pro for a short period or not but I'm pretty sure he has SOME combat sport experience.

I do hope his opponent breaks the mold for the "FREAK SHOWS of size" in combat sports and wins. But I'm probably wrong and strong guy will win via FATALITY and rip the dudes spinal chord out or something...
    Boxing and some Kyokushin IIRC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:55pm

Style: Kyokushin, BJJ, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From wikipedia

"Apart from WSM, Pudzianowski is also known for practicing martial arts (he is a fourth kyu green belt in Kyokushin kaikan). Moreover he trained in the art of boxing for seven years before he started to compete in strongman competitions.[citation needed]

As of 5th August 2009, According to several internet sources, Mariusz is poised to sign with a Polish Mixed Martial Arts promotion known as KSW. It is unknown if this is for promotional reasons or if he intends to fight."

There's also something on his polish website (http://www.pudzian.pl/) about karate, but I cannot read it.

Looks like he has at least some background in combat sports.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually thought this was old news by now and didn't bother posting (although I did change my avatar, haha).

Meby: Do some research. Mariusz is an incredibly gifted athlete, and has participated in many sports, and took second place in dancing with the stars in poland FFS. Watch him in WSM 07 and tell me that the man doesn't have agility and speed on his side.

He's actually very light for a strongman competitor, and tends to win because of his incredible conditioning and balance in his training. He doesn't place first in one particular event, but tends to take 2-3 in every single event, giving him an incredible point lead by the end.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast