218280 Bullies, 8203 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 11:03pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vince McMahon Vs. The UFC

I used to think I could tolerate the existence of pro wrestling. Not anymore! I was watching MMA connected, I think its just a Canadian show very closely tied to the UFC when I saw the news at first. I was hoping to find a thread on this, but I haven't, so I'm making one. Here's an article citing the details I found on a Google search:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/4/...ing-to-get-ufc
    Vince McMahon seeking to get UFC banned in key European countries

by kjh on Apr 6, 2010 6:40 PM EDT in WWE 19 comments

If Vince McMahon wasn't already the biggest heel to MMA fans everywhere, then he is now! (Getty Images)

View full size photo

Sometimes the most intriguing wrestling news stories are broken or teased on the Wrestling Observer / Figure Four Online message boards. This is one such case, as UFC.com writer/German UFC commentator (and former German WWE commentator/marketing staffer/keeper of savage secrets) Oliver Copp let the news leak that Vince McMahon is attempting to sabotage UFC's expansion into key European markets in a thread about Dana White's recent ambition to hold an event at the newly opened largest domed stadium in the world, Cowboy Stadium in Dallas.
    Oliver thought this was a bad idea for the following reason:
    Unless UFC manage to pack a stadium they go into, it'll be a negative for the brand's development. WWE, for instance, is only waiting for a high-profile failure like that to try and mock the UFC. They're already actively trying to get UFC banned in many European countries. Don't give them ammunition.
    Dave Meltzer then corroborated the story:
    Well, I guess that cat is out of the bag.

Yeah, very scared of what happened in the U.S., and more particularly Canada, would happen in Europe.

But Oliver would know better, my impression is it's whispering behind the scenes about violence and brutality not being suitable for television, not inability to draw.
    And, of course, he couldn't leave without taking a potshot at WWE's official line that UFC is not their competition:
    But none of that could be true, since Donna Goldsmith continually says that they are not competition because one is scripted entertainment and the other is not, plus UFC doesn't know how to make stars, has no stars, or something like that.
    Finally, Oliver Copp expanded on his vague original post:
    Yeah, WWE's that shady. Of course UFC isn't competition, and that's why they really don't care how UFC does. Just like TNA which also isn't considered competition but who they constantly try to screw with.

The bottom line is WWE don't like it too much when UFC's bottom-of-the-barrel shows still outdraw 90 percent of the WWE PPVs in North America.
    And suggests how UFC failing to draw well at Cowboy Stadium would be twisted to fit WWE's agenda:
    "UFC only appeals to a small, socially disturbed percentage of the viewing audience. Due to the violence it portrays, it shouldn't be considered acceptable in any civilized community. When they went to Cowboy Stadium, they only drew 20,000 people. We have had four years of 60,000+ fans at WrestleMania. Our appeal is much broader and we present a safer product."

If you were a television executive, could you see through the BS? They're really good at twisting the facts.
    Personally I could do without Oliver's "holier than thou" pro UFC tone. Sure it's shady. Part and parcel of the job of being a great promoter, unfortunately yes. It's not like Dana White is above doing a whispering campaign against his enemies, whether it be Pride, Elite XC, M-1 Global, Fedor Emelienenko or Strikeforce. Dave and Oliver should just be thankful that Vince McMahon wasn't ahead of the curve and didn't nix the first series of The Ultimate Fighter from following Raw on Spike TV in January 2005.
    Your thoughts?
    :wanim:waraya:wbaba2:eusa_liar:wrestlerb:wabdulla: wcacjack:waijima:new_micro:ninjafigh:new_blueg
    P.S. I wasn't sure if this should go in the MMA forum or YMAS, but since it wasn't about fighting in MMA I decided to play it conservative and post it in YMAS.

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 11:26pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *ahem* /clears throat.

**** PRO-WRESTLING!

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 11:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't be surprising if it were true. I was already watching less and less pro wrestling when Spike starting airing UFC. Now thanks to MMA, I can't watch WWE without seeing what they're purposely *not* doing when putting on subs in order to sell the moves (sleeper/rnc: hand on head, not behind head, ankle lock/toe hold: no flexion of the toes, etc.).

Vince sees the UFC as a threat. Undertaker using a gogoplata, of the divas using a heel hook, all these other pro wrestlers using more realistic subs, all are evidence of that. Not to mention the crossover fans that got exposed to MMA because of Lesnar.

Back when Bishoff was in charge at WCW, he would announce the results of WWF Raw before Raw even aired. It's a business, and I can see Vince "playing dirty."

Now for some "pro wrestling moves done mma style"

YouTube- pro wrestling moves done mma style

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 12:25am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't he initially try to take credit for the UFC by allowing SPIKE TV to run TUF after Monday Night RAW?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    Didn't he initially try to take credit for the UFC by allowing SPIKE TV to run TUF after Monday Night RAW?
    Maybe, but its hard to imagine even wrestling fans being that dumb.

BTW, thanks for the vid of wrestling moves in MMA. I have a friend who's slightly more into wrestling and he's constantly asking me about if anyone has ever done a body slam in MMA. There was one that I watched on TV but I couldn't find a video of. I could find a picture though.

Whisper Goodman vs. John Crohn on Sportfight:
    Last edited by pokeroo; 4/16/2010 1:23am at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:34am

Style: Aiki Jujitsu, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As if I don't have enough reasons to hate the WWE (no offense to the divas).

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:39am

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnong View Post
    As if I don't have enough reasons to hate the WWE (no offense to the divas).
    It would'nt be so bad if everybody would be aware that Pro-wrestling is fake, and sadly I can assure you that on 15 employees at work we are only TWO to be aware of it. And we tried to convince the others and they're like "yeah right you're just trying to sell boxing by talking trash against wrestling"

I can enjoy a good pro-wrestling show for the theatrics and stunts thought, no doubt about it. and Kazushi Sakuraba proved that some pro wrestler can turn to be awesome in real fighting.

screw vince! :boxing:

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:56am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time out: People are STILL dumb enough to believe that pro-wrestling is real? Really?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:59am

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    Time out: People are STILL dumb enough to believe that pro-wrestling is real? Really?
    Get this: most people don't know crap about fighting, or what real fighting is even supposed to look like.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    Get this: most people don't know crap about fighting, or what real fighting is even supposed to look like.
    If most people knew what a real fight looks like (there is no supposed to, there is only what is), there would be no bullshido. Most of us at some time believed that chambered punches from the hips can be used effectively in a fight, or that slappy hands are useful, or that doing kata will improve your fighting ability by a lot.

When I was a kid I remember sometimes hearing an argument about whether wrestling is real or not. I'm not sure I really gave it much thought or cared too much, but I remember we all liked to cheer for the good guys. I just find it so bizarre that adults love wrestling so much. It seems like such a kid thing to me. Every time I watch it I feel like I'm killing brain cells.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast