Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 5:54am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First time I threw a member of my gym's competition team was fun. IIRC it was at a throwdown too.

Faked a punch; got the entry; Did something that surely has a proper name in Judo :) Of course I got reversed when we landed so no points, but it was fun.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    best moments? i don't know. fun memories?

the first time i tapped my (karate) instructor, who (at the time) had about nine months bjj to my three. starting from the knees, he came at me, i popped up, wrapped his neck, fell back to guard with a sufficiently perfect guillotine - having discovered the technique the night before, watching a ufc fight. took about three more years before i tapped him again.

working out how to leave out a lazy roundkick to bait a sweep, and counter with a flying armbar - and then pulling it off. this worked for about a week, and i managed to spike myself on the head a couple of times, but goddamn if it wasn't hilarious.

tapping a (really tall!) training partner with an inverted triangle - from inside his triangle.

the first time i stopped my instructor during sparring. knee to the thigh, and he just dropped his hands, looked at me, and said OW!

the look on the same instructor's face the night i came at him with a spinning back kick... sans kick. unfortuately, i was too exhausted to capitalize on the confusion.

when i realized that, while i might not be very good at martial arts, i can teach a few things reasonably well.

getting yelled at by a bjj blackbelt for not immediately stopping when we left the mats - he having pushed us off the mats because he couldn't get out of my guillotine. i had him.
    Last edited by pauli; 4/16/2010 7:13am at .

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 7:18am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter with garnishes in sparring on Wednesday, with a guy who'd been training and competing for 14 years. Talking about it yesterday with one of the assistant coaches-

Me: It was brutal. I mean, I THINK I got one or two decent combos on him, but the ratio of him beating my ass to me even hitting him was like...ten to one or something.
    Asst. Coach: Why do you think he started going hard on you? You freaking nailed him those one or two times. You say "decent combos", I say he went "What the hell, he's not supposed to be able to do that."

Gave me kind of a cheerful feeling for the rest of the night.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 7:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stepping into the first BJJ class. I don't train too often and am still your generic white belt after 2,5 years of not training. I've long since realized I'll never be close to a black belt unless I roll with one. Hell, it'll be a small miracle if I ever get enough consistent training to reach blue belt level.

After I started BJJ I've had multiple smaller injuries and even right now (probably) a hair fractured toe. I needed surgery last summer for my shoulder, which really, really sucked.

But **** me, it's so much goddamn fun when I actually make it to class.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 12:15pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One time, I had my mma instructor kinda of scramble when I tried to throw him.
    AWESOME!!!

Another time, I hit him with a solid cross.
    It made my day.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    But **** me, it's so much goddamn fun when I actually make it to class.
    It's pretty easy to talk yourself into staying home for that favorite rerun of wheel of fortune, but going to class always gives you a feeling of accomplishment that you don't get from watching television.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:03pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, many years back when I was teaching kung fu, my sifu and I were having a private class in my club. While said class was in session, he proceeded to tell me that there were no good martial arts schools in the city (while standing in my club), that there were no good students in the city because the MA schools would take just anybody (therefore insulting both me, and my students), and that I had no real skills (which is probably true, but I was already peeved).

About two seconds after he finished saying that, I managed to completely trap up his arms, like one of these effortless tangles that one only sees in movies, or compliant _ing _un demos, and slammed him into a wall.

... and then someone walked in the door to inquire about classes, and I promptly turned away from where my sifu was still leaning against the wall and ignored him to go talk to the prospective student.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good man.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 2:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    It's pretty easy to talk yourself into staying home for that favorite rerun of wheel of fortune, but going to class always gives you a feeling of accomplishment that you don't get from watching television.
    Truer words never said even if my troubles getting to class are mainly related to one 2,5 year old and a wife doing all kinds of crazy shifts at work.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    Truer words never said even if my troubles getting to class are mainly related to one 2,5 year old and a wife doing all kinds of crazy shifts at work.
    Sharing time with the family makes the "free time" you get to train scarce and valuable. That mat time sure unburdens the daily stress though. I only get from seven to nine hours a week on the mat. I try to take advantage of all of it that I can. I sure understand how often things come up that prevent attendance though. Teaching provides good motivation to attend but it would sure be nice to just be the student again.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast