NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USJA Shake Up

SamboSteve tipped me off this morning that some or all of the leadership of USJA walked out.

I confirmed with Dee Dee at the main office that Ann Marie and Jimmy Pedro Sr left.

Other Bullies have been contacted by senior Judoka saying they are leaving as well.

I called Pedro's Dojo for comment and left a message with one of his instructors.

I might go down there and see what I can get out of the old man.

Maybe Arce or Tripp can comment?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 12:14am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bunga?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any idea what brought about the sudden abdication? if it was one or two people, sure, but if it's a significant percentage of the leadership, something major must have happened.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 4:16am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, let me say I have no clue. I am out of the loop by choice, and have been for years.

That said, over the years I have known a few Presidents and several board members of the USJA. I thought they all would have had a battle royal or a texas death match long before now. When I spoke at their national convention a few years ago I found the undercurrent WAY beyond anything I would deal with.

When you add to that the battle with USJI, again, its a wonder anything ever got done at all.

I am sure we will have a public statement soon, and I am sure it will be an interesting read....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 5:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    any idea what brought about the sudden abdication? if it was one or two people, sure, but if it's a significant percentage of the leadership, something major must have happened.
    The rumors say it was the top three. The USJA says it was the top two. Finding the reason for this was the purpose of my call to Coach Pedro.

I can't speculate, as I am a mere roving reporter, and not a Judo player.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 5:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:

One of my favorite professors had a sign in her office, "No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, turn back."

For twelve years, I have been a member of a committee or board of one judo organization or another. Recently, when Jim Pedro, Sr. resigned from the United States Judo Association Board of Directors in disgust, shortly after Dr. Martin Bregman resigned from the promotion board, it became clear to me that the infighting, petty jealousies and personal agendas had degenerated to such a point that it would be impossible for me to work with the United States Judo Association Board. When two of the men I most admire resign, it is obvious that something is drastically wrong.

One meaning of resignation is acceptance of the inevitable. It is clear to me that the continuing failure of this board to work together is inevitable. Therefore, I have joined the vice-president in resignation from the USJA Board.

I have met many great people running judo programs throughout the country and I am grateful for that opportunity.

What my experience tells me is that if judo is to survive as a viable sport in this country it will be despite our national organizations rather than because of them.

AnnMaria R. De Mars , Ph.D.

End Quote

Now, I can add to this. For YEARS I have known the BOD at USJA simply can NOT get along on anything. It is filled with petty egos that have personal agendas rather than the growth of Judo on their minds. As I said, I expected this long before now...
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 5:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    21 N. Union Boulevard, Suite 200 Colorado Springs, CO 80909-5784 (877) 411-3409, (719) 633-7750, Fax (719) 633-4041 www.usja-judo.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 12, 2010

New Interim Officers Named

Following the resignations of AnnMaria De Mars and Jim Pedro, Sr. an emergency conference call was held in which Board Member Gary Goltz was elected interim President, Joan Love was elected interim Vice President, and Bill Montgomery was named Coaching Committee Chairman. These positions will be affirmed at the July Board of Directors meeting to be held at the first USJA/USJF Joint Junior Nationals in July, 2010.

Goltz stated “the business of the USJA is supporting grassroots judo clubs with quality services such as a fully staffed office, a modern database, a fair promotion system, tournament sanctions, an up to date website, and programs to help grow judo throughout the country. The USJA is eager to build on our positive relationship with the USJF via our Grassroots JudoTM initiative which now includes a Modern Kodokan Throwing Techniques Certification Program.”

Ms. Love added “our Executive Director, Katrina Davis has been with the organization for over 20 years. She knows our club leaders and their members well and has set a very high standard for customer service in the USJA National Office. Meeting and exceeding expectations is the goal of every transaction. We also have the utmost appreciation for the network of Regional Coordinators and other numerous committee volunteers who are the foundation of our grassroots organization.”

Mr. Montgomery said “the USJA pioneered the first coaching courses in the 1970's. We intend to supplement the present program with seminars covering topics beyond judo that address innovative teaching methods in order to develop better-rounded coaches in this country.”

USJA Legal Counsel, Glenn Nakawaki commented “we are on schedule to meet with USA Judo along with the USOC to present our vision on how to get judo back on track. It involves creating goal congruent missions for the NGB to focus all their efforts on developing our Olympic team while supporting the USJA and USJF in their efforts to grow judo at the grassroots level.”

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 5:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Mark. Where did you find the quote from AnnMaria? Goltz and Love are the two names I got from the USJA ofc too. I guess they are interim, and that new officers will be elected at some kind of annual meeting.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 6:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google...

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 8:27am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I been following this since Tuesday and got the same info. They have been pretty tight lipped about the whys of leaving. I do know that Dr. Bregman dd not resign just Ann-Marie and Jim Pedro Sr.

Having meet Mr. Pedro I can tell you his tolerance for bullshit is pretty low. I personally love the man he made me laugh all day long at a clinic correcting the numb nuts who have BBs in our area. I would love to know who pissed him off and made him walk away like this though. This man loves Judo. He was busting his ass so the USJA has just lost themselves one of the few people they have with some sense and passion for Judo. Ann-Marie as well.

Just goes to show you the 2 familes that have produced Judo players able to compete in the international scene are now on the outs with the NGBs. Speaks volumes to me.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast