Style
    Lifting heavy stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

judo noob advice needed.

im fairly new to judo, ive been doing it for about 5 months now and a white belt. i can do a few basic throws in randori with minimal success but im alot better at newaza, which we focus on alot.

when im not training i like searching youtube to look at new throws/ submissions to try in randori like d'arce chokes and annoconda chokes or russian judo grips and throw variations. should i be doing this is would it be more usefull for me at this time just to stick to basic judo techniques?

with every man and his dog posting some form of sub grappling video its hard not to watch and go " wow id like to give that a go" but am i better off binning all video watching and just focus on what im doing in training?

cheers adski

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn your basic throws, chokes, escapes and turnovers. Drill these till you can do them in your sleep. Repeat.

I live off of Osoto Gari, Drop Seio Nage, Tani Otosh, and Harai Gosh. All of them are basic throws. I use them because I've drilled them over, and over, and over.

Go to class, drill the basic throws and do a ton of break falls. Everything else can come later. Much later.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    beginners trying things they found on youtube are a special subset of "hey y'all, watch this!" activities. don't be that guy.

nothing wrong with watching videos, just remember that you're at class to learn what your coach teaches you because he knows better (and safer) than you do. he's teaching you skills in an order that is least likely to leave you (or your training partners) crippled.

also remember that fancy things (in any style or endeavor) flat out don't work if they aren't built upon solid basics.

Style
    MT, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you try rubber guard, I'm afraid I'll have to fly to wherever you are and slap you.

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur with the other posters. I'd also add, if you find something on YouTube that you simply feel you can't live without and want to take it to class, run it by your instructor or a high ranking belt first. That way, you don't start working something that's illegal, you minimize the risk that you or your classmate will get hurt, and you can learn the technique properly. Nothing worse than drilling something for months and finding out that you're doing it all wrong... well, except maybe drilling something for months and then having a higher rank ask you what you're trying to do and being told, "that's not xxx-nage".

Yeah, a little variation can be fun, but safety first, and economy. Oh, and remember, there's a lot of **** videos out there by people who don't know ****. If you can't tell whether or not a throw is **** you shouldn't be trying the throw.

Personally, I might "know" a lot of throws, but I drill only a handful and they are the same ones I use in randori and shiai. You can think of it like this; if you've been drilling the same small group of throws for 5 months, you'll probably be better at those throws than somebody who's been drilling a large group of throws for 5 months.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    when im not training i like searching youtube to look at new throws/ submissions to try in randori like d'arce chokes and annoconda chokes or russian judo grips and throw variations. should i be doing this is would it be more usefull for me at this time just to stick to basic judo techniques?
    With throws you should be concentrating on assembling a decent grasp of a core of the standard throws forwards, backawards and assorted footsweeps. As a white belt you should not be practicing or spending lots of time in randori doing sacrifice techniques or makkikomi. It will stunt your Judo development. It is obviously fun and exciting to learn new and unusual throws, but there is a reason certain throws are taught at certain levels because some throws are either unsuitable for beginners or out of their technical reach.

On the ground it depends on your previous gi or no gi grappling experience. I'm assuming see as you didn't mention any that you have no previous ground grappling experience. If so then your plan for newaza should be similar to standing. You should be working on a core selection of oseakomiwaza. As in Judo hold downs are a much more important part of the game than in other ground grappling forms. Once you're able to hold people down for around 10-15 seconds with 3/4 hold downs and you've also been using the turnovers and sweeps you coach/sensei has shown you to get into those hold downs. Then you should work on learning when and how to transition from one of those hold downs to another. Then adding in transitions from hold downs to submissions and turnovers and sweeps into submissions. Getting a good command of how to attain and maintain positional dominance i.e an osaekomi will make your Judo groundwork much better than knowing 20 submissions but not being good at any of them. Become competent in how to get and maintain position and then work for a submission or as the old mantra says 'position before submission'.

If you want a selection of throw videos I can recommend these.
    Core Forwards throws:
    Seoi nage:
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gbcRlZgDSwo
    Tai otoshi:
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sc1tuj_Oyww
    Harai goshi:
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SKBPpuS-Q7E
    or
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WbK9COV-GpY
    Koshiwaza:
    YouTube- O-goshi, Uki-goshi,Tsuri-goshi, Tsurikomi-goshi, Sode tsurikomi-goshi, Koshi-guruma

Core Backwards throws:
    Ko uchi gari:
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XSrvqd2EInI
    or
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qt9rvH1LbjQ
    O uchi gari:
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fLcbT-lJCic
    or
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Mp-EdgRVyd0
    O soto gari
    YouTube- Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 1
    YouTube- Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 2
    YouTube- Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 3

For newaza:
    Kamishiho gatame + Tateshiho gatame
    YouTube- Kashiwazakii Kami and Tate shio gatame (northsouth mount)
    Kesa gatame
    YouTube- Kashiwazaki Kesa gatame - Scarf Hold
    Yokoshiho gatame
    YouTube- Kashiwazaki Yokoshio gatame - Side mount

Once you have found a forward throw and a backward throw/ashiwaza that suits you. Work on finding ways to link them together as combinations and then add in more throws slowly to work in combinations with those two until you can chain 3/4 techniques together.

I put the Kamishiho gatame and Tateshiho gatame videos first because these are my favourite hold downs and because I believe they are two of the most versatile and offer some of the most extensive options for combining with submission attempts.

Best of luck with your Judo journey, remember its a marathon not a sprint.

Style
    Lifting heavy stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks everybody for the tips there very helpfull and i'll definatly take them on board.

Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not an expert but I play one on TV. Learn what is going on in your dojo. Do what your instructor says to do. oh and....

STFU AND TRAIN
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Style
    Aikido,Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post

STFU AND TRAIN
    After many years in Judo, this is still the best advice you will ever get. I would add that the second best advice is "ENJOY".