Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo cross training into a traditional striking art

I currently practice Judo, I will hopefully be testing for BB within the year. I have expierence in wrestling 6th-10th grade, boxing 3 years (I was ok at best), and fencing 2 years (now this I was good at LOL). I cross trained in hapkido for a year and earned my Green Belt. I want to cross train in a traditional striking art. I am limited on my selection of arts due to geographic availability and finances. My choices are TKD, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, and Goju Karate. Which ones are most compatable with my Judo training and why? Which ones would you not reccomend and why? Basicly a general critique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:41pm

Style: Aiki Jujitsu, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I know Tang Soo Do has roots in Shotokan karate, Taekhyeon (Tkd's ancestor), Subak, and Chinese kung-fu so there's a bit of two other martial arts you included in your list.

Taekwando is ok if you get a good instructor but if you find a McDojo (did I say that right?) then you won't get much out of it.

Shotokan is taught as a hard and external martial art until brown and black belts where your movements become more fluid and you learn some grappling and akido-like techniques. Sparring will become more advanced as you advance the belt ranks.

I don't know much about Goju though sorry. Hope you figure out what fits you best.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just focus on your judo for now. Save your money for some weights or something else.

Oh and I disagree with pretty much what Ninnnog said. You want a school that has equal sparring no matter where you start. Now, think carefully about what I said. No, you should not be sparring at a Black Belt level at white belt.

You should be sparring with the same amount of rules and contact at all levels.

Avoid any school that tries to cram external and internal down your throat as well.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/12/2010 7:53pm at .

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:52pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you looked up any boxing gyms in your area? If you want a solid striking art there is really nothing better for that goal than the good pugilists art of boxing.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:54pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alphascottb View Post
    I currently practice Judo, I will hopefully be testing for BB within the year. I have expierence in wrestling 6th-10th grade, boxing 3 years (I was ok at best), and fencing 2 years (now this I was good at LOL). I cross trained in hapkido for a year and earned my Green Belt. I want to cross train in a traditional striking art. I am limited on my selection of arts due to geographic availability and finances. My choices are TKD, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, and Goju Karate. Which ones are most compatable with my Judo training and why? Which ones would you not reccomend and why? Basicly a general critique.
    Investigate the dojos/kwoons of each. Do they do randori, with actual striking at medium-to-high intensity, none of this point-sparring nonsense?

The obvious answer is Goju, due to its origins, but only if they actually put on the gloves and mouthguards and spar regularly.

Remember that proper karate/daegwondo involves actually hitting eachother, just like real Judo involves really throwing and pinning each other, and you'll be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 8:00pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sound like you have enough experience to determine for yourself what is the best for you...it's all about the school atmosphere and teacher. Be fair, don't judge the schools by one visit. At the same time, don't let the teacher strong arm you into joining or signing a contract. Visit and watch...or better yet train with them for hopefully a week.

Good luck

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 8:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, stick to one thread. Don't start spamming this question or variations in every subforum.

You already have a thread in the Korean MA forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:09pm

Style: boxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not just get a heavy bag to put up in your place. no fee and you can do it whenever you want. if you have 3 years of experience boxing then you should be able to hit a bag fairly easily lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:35pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come now. Everyone knows Taekwondo is the most supreme art ever created an that Karate and all that kung fu jazz is just a bunch of baloney..........

Just kidding. All boils down to the quality of the instructors. You can have a shitty Taekwondo school and kick ass Shotokan school. Check out the local dojos/dojang in your area. A few things I would take into consideration are:

-Anything outrageously expensive
    -Time required for black belt (if it's 3 years or less that's a red flag)
    -Full contact sparring (if either school has no contact or very light tappy point sparring this too is an issue)

Wish you luck in your search.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:51pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with HereBeADragon - Boxing is practical, it works, and it would probably complement your judo really well, given that you can just sweep or throw any doofus who tries to kick you. Plus, boxing gyms are pretty affordable, compared to TMA schools that tend to be over-priced.

Any particular reason why you didn't list a boxing gym as one of your choices?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast