Sponsored Links Spacer Image

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 6:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they also reeeeally dont like it when you don't stop when they shout 'yummy'

..the amount of times I got DQ'd was embarrassing. seriously. my self control was fucking awful back then
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 6:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well IMO any good martial Artist should be able to control his power. "I can only hit break-your-jaw strong" or barely touch weak should be no excuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 7:22am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god, here we go.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 7:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialSchools View Post
    Well IMO any good martial Artist should be able to control his power. "I can only hit break-your-jaw strong" or barely touch weak should be no excuse.
    its a good job I dont consider myself a martial artist then isn't it?
    do you consider yourself a martial artist?
    would you say you are representative of the typical martial artist?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 8:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    its a good job I dont consider myself a martial artist then isn't it?
    do you consider yourself a martial artist?
    would you say you are representative of the typical martial artist?

Not sure if you're going for irony here or not, but anyway...

I've heard excuses like, "Ohh I work too hard on the bags, then I can't take it easy on a match"

Martial Arts teach control, right? So why again would a martial artist not be able to control his power?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 8:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've heard excuses like, "Ohh I work too hard on the bags, then I can't take it easy on a match"

Martial Arts teach control, right? So why again would a martial artist not be able to control his power?
    I assure you I am not going for irony. I am not a martial artist.

Now answer the questions.
    Spoiler:

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 8:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Who is a better martial artist?
    someone who can control his power but actually can't fight for worth a damn
    somone who isn't as good at control but is very good at applying everything he learned through is martial arts and thus is very good at fighting

How easy do you think it is to control power? If I stop punching off my leg and use more of a flailing motion, I can control power easier. But thats just a bad fucking punch. If I punch off my leg, I have the mass of my entire body and decent speed behind it even if I'm trying to decelerate it before impact. If my partner walks into it its going to hurt, despite my intentions.

Good martial artist should be able to control power to the extent where you are not hurting your opponent. Who cares about barely touching people. Lack of such control does not mean the person is a bad martial artist.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 4/15/2010 9:04am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:28am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post

Good martial artist should be able to control power to the extent where you are not hurting your opponent. Who cares about barely touching people. Lack of such control does not mean the person is a bad martial artist.
    I almost agree I'd change opponent to training partner.

Lack of control is relative.

IMO.

Oh and to this:
    MMAmickey is a Martial artists he is being an ass.

Whoever decided point/light contact matches defined martial arts wasn't a Martial Artists.

If you train to hesitate then you succeed in these silly bouts. If you train to hit, people, which is what I though MA was about, you are going to get DQ'ed in pussified events.

Oh and Martial Artists don't suddenly learn how to control. power.
    they also reeeeally dont like it when you don't stop when they shout 'yummy'

..the amount of times I got DQ'd was embarrassing. seriously. my self control was fucking awful back then
    So, you are an idiot for not reading what he wrote. I have yet to see a single noob come in, with perfect control when they first start learning Martial Arts. It isn't an excuse it is the truth.

"I can only hit break-your-jaw strong" or barely touch weak should be no excuse.
    I'll take the first martial artist to watch my back if I'm ever in trouble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done kickboxing point fighting BEFORE I trained in MMA. My front leg was in the air most of the time and i tried to touch my opponent with it. This was one of the reasons why this kind of fighting wasn't enough to me. An other was the awful lot of protectice gear I had to wear. I was good at it :-?

Edit: My Kickboxing trainer, who was partially trained by

CHUCK NORRIS

,said that Andy Hug also did point fighting, because, like in full contact you have to focus on one fast punch or kick. Andy Hug was the K1 world grand prix champion of 1996 and a Kyokushin karateka. He died of leukemia in 2000.
    Last edited by Monkfg; 4/15/2010 1:11pm at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 1:28pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done point sparring and frankly if that is control I will take wild swings anyday. The last tournament I did really hammered home how poor that "control" is. The other guy beat me 3 to 2 but every point he scored I'd had hit him 3 times or more and most of the time sent him bouncing across the floor. He's cheif technique? I called it the dolphin. He would hop on one foot and tap me on top of the head. Meanwhile I wailed on his face and stomach. Point sparring isn't bad persay but the way its scored encourages poor technique and unrealistic strategy. To tie this into the topic and not just make it a rant I will say that a full contact or MMA fighter who is used to beating the other guys ass proper would have an extemely difficult time doing point sparring and like wise a dedicated point fighter would have a lof of habbits to break before they could become an effective full contact fighter.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast