Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 3:25pm

Style: MMA, Wrestling, TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help Me Choose A Style

Hey everyone.

I'm in high school right now and may be studying abroad sometime in Japan. If I do, I want to take Karate and Judo while I'm there. I can probably take Judo as a class in school like wrestling in the U.S., and I want to take karate outside of school. Right now I'm trying to pick a style.

I am primarily a Chinese martial artist (Shaolin), but I look for practicality in martial arts, and also study Chinese Kickboxing, MMA, and wrestling. I also have an old black belt in TKD. I appreciate the philosophical elements of martial arts, but I am really also concerned with effectiveness. I practice martial arts every day of the week and am decently skilled, but really I have never studied Japanese martial arts.

I did some research and am having some difficulty deciding between Kyokushin and Shotokan. They both seem effective and useful,and I think I could gain a lot by studying either of them. Could someone give me some pointers or suggestions that would help me make my decision?

Thanks in advance guys!

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin Karate without a doubt, preferetly IKO(1).

Edit: some pointers:

- quality control is good worldwide, so you can continue your training everywhere without losing quality. Shotokan varies from point-sparring to start-stop knock-down.

- Kyokushin + Judo = Daido Juku (if that ain't badass, what is).

- When you get your BB, you can have a shining tag on Bullshido.Net

- If you chose Shotokan over Kyokushin, most of us here will want to kill you.

Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 2/07/2010 3:37pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin Karate and Judo. You can't go wrong.

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 4:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When it comes to karate styles that spar you basically have 2 options

You can learn to batter people with your hands and feet

YouTube- Fight Quest Kyokushin Karate- Final Battles

Or you can play a spirited game of tag

YouTube- KARATE SHOTOKAN JKA Kumite

which often deteriorates into I hit you first no you didnt yah i did

YouTube- Angelo isshinryu sparring 2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 10:58pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I always find the comments in that Fight Quest episode about how brutal and merciless and devoid of quarter-giving the Kyokushin blackbelts are amusing, particularly in light of what I experienced first-hand in Kyokushin on Guam. Most of those guys aren't going heavy, they're going so light I'm surprised they aren't giggling while they do it.

Anyways, definitely Kyokushin or Judo. Throw bitches, or just smash them with your fists; You can't go wrong. Also, if you want to train both and just so happen to end up near a dojo for either, Enshin and Daido Juku are both possibilities. Enshin is basically Kyokushin + some basic Judo throws, and pretty good training in learning to transition between striking and throwing. Daido Juku, from what I've heard, takes it several steps further, containing Kyokushin + facepunching, Judo, and BJJ, and is thusly completely awesome.

If you take Shotokan while looking for something consistently effective, realistic, and proven useful, we will scorn you forever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 8:06am

Style: Kendo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I am not a karateka I don't really understand the shotokan hate. I always thought that emphasis of exploding in on an opponent with good footwork would be great when combined with judo. If you are interested in clinching it seemed that shotokan would get you there faster.

That said Kyokushin seems pretty solid, and if you are into san shou it might be a little closer in approach. If there are both styles close to you just check them out.

Also do you plan on keeping up with your training when you get back? How long are you there? If you are only there 6 months and plan on going back to kung fu or whatever it won't really matter too much which style you do.
    Last edited by evilstan; 2/08/2010 8:11am at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 8:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kyokushin.. dont be a dick if you want something effective you have to do it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2010 12:29am

Style: MMA, Wrestling, TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay guys thanks for all the great advice! I am definitely going to shoot for Kyokushin and Judo if I make it to Japan.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2010 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool.

Watching that KK video reminded me of those good old days. Noob punching as hard and fast as he could while the black belt looks bored and then WHAM!, unloads on the guy. I remember thinking, every time I hit this guy he hits me twice as hard, hmmm, is this smart? But all the good black belts knew how hard to go and how hard to push it (usually); they never broke my ribs or anything like that. It took fellow colored belts to do most of the injuries.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2010 10:05am

Style: Hybrid Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most knockdown Karate can be described as the noble art of making your opponent piss blood, but yeah, i would also recommend Daido Juku. It will give you all the great stuff from KK while at the same time keeping your hands high and fast and teach you groundfighting.
    As for Philosophy most JMA have a Dojokun wich you are excpected to follow. Its mostly common sense: Be nice to eachother, respect you teachers, winning isnt everything if you learn from your losses, dont smoke Crack in the Dojo...

I suggest you practice Philosophy in the Library and fighting in the Dojo.

If you want to study TMA for the hell of it though, i reccomed Aiki-Jujutsu. Slight problems with aliveness, but holy **** some of those locks hurt!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast