Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 11:29am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an inordinate amount of success with teh "canoe-rocking" method. But I only do no-gi right now.

It starts looking like a basic trap the leg and roll, and builds in intensity as I alternate sides until I make room for an elevator or hip-heist. My hip heist needs work, but if I am aggressive and explosive enough, I usually get the guy.

By constantly moving on the bottom, I make my head a difficult target to hit, while simultaneously compromising his base (making punches weaker/less effective) and forcing him to re-establish his own position.

Obviously, this can end up in an brutal endurance contest against a guy with a solid base. Of course, if he's a better fighter than you, that's what happens. You will gas out and eat punches or do the barnacle routine.Them's teh breaks.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I am going to try and give Kint an answer.

1 The kuzushi: feet on hips grabbing both sleeves. This is the feeling out process here, I will pull the sleeves and push on the hips as well as slide my feet down to their knees and push them out. Everyone reacts differently BUT there are only a few directions that they may go, and this is the important thing here.

If they pull their arms in tight and turtle up you can keep the tension and move to a front headlock position, or slide to triangle, or go to spider guard, or slide close to them for this style of sweep

YouTube- Phil Migliarese shows the flower sweep (BJJ Brazilian JiuJitsu)

If they posture up, once again you can go straight to spider guard sweep, or a leg hook guard sweep (like the rocking chair)

Now if they ever move and leave their arms out you can go right to the arm drag and take the back.

I hope this gives you a bit of an answer, and I hope you see what I did with recognizing positions for your options.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 4:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see a lot of in this thread.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post

So let me step back one and rephrase: How do you guys drill to help improve your ability to combine techniques successfully? Do you drill for that at all or do you just expect it to happen naturally as people develop?
    This is from my experience on how I teach beginners, although every person is different.

In the beginning you have to teach people the basic of a technique so that they can practice it til they don't have to think about each step and can start to move smoothly.

You then have to teach them the details, explain why you do each specific step and how it will aid in their success rate.

After they understand a few different techniques in detail you can chain them together into a combo. This is a good way to develop speed in transitioning techniques and develop a sense of your opponent's base shifting. Combos are fine once people understand the sweeps in detail, but if you only think like that your not going to develop a natural flow when moving.

Keep in mind, everyone is different but I've found this to be a good model for most of my students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't specifically related to sweeps, but I think it fits in well with the discussion the last few pages about flowing.

My coach always talks about finding a position(or a sweep/submission/escape whatever) and figuring out the most common reactions to it. Jean Jacques says that from each specific situation 90% of people will react in the same couple ways, and once you know their probable reaction you can figure out how to counter it, and sometimes even start countering it before they initiate their response to your original attack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 10:02pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp, may i ask what sweep or sweeps you go for when they posture in response to a triangle attempt?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 11:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayOfTheJackass View Post
    jnp, may i ask what sweep or sweeps you go for when they posture in response to a triangle attempt?
    Posture how? If its how I'm thinking, I've gotten a disturbingly high amount of success from just pushing into them. I place my hands on the deck by my ears, and push my hips up.

They topple over onto their back, and I rock that mounted triangle all day.

If you're not too committed to the triangle, you can drop back down to a modified flower sweep, or a scissor sweep, as well.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 3:45am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a newly made blue belt, so my combinations for sweeps are still fairly simple and not so many. But here are the combinations I actually use with some success. Not just all the ones I "know" in my head.

With full guard. Sit up for Kimura or Guillotine. If I start with a Guillotine and he resists it, I switch to Kimura. I use a hip bump combined with the arm lock pressure to sweep my partner onto his/her back. If they resist the kimura-sweep in the direction that puts pressure on the lock, I will sort of arm drag the locked arm the other direction to sweep the other way with a hip bump in the other direction.

Say I'm in half guard holding their right leg shrimped with my butt out to the left. If I couldn't get the underhook with my left arm I fight for it. If it's not working I keep pretending to work for the underhook, but use my right hand to push their left knee away just enough to slide my right leg/foot into a butterfly hook on his left leg. My left leg still locking over his right leg like in half guard. I give up the underhook pressure and switch to as deep an overhook as possible while getting an underhook with my right arm instead. I shrimp with my hips out to the right while using the left leg as the lever and my right butterfly hook to lift and sweep him over.
    Sometimes, for some reason I will lose my left leg position because my other leg is not helping to lock a half guard anymore. What I normally do is still use the same sweep, but instead of locking over his left leg, I will kick out his right knee so that he falls on his hip and then roll over as before.

Failing to get the leg over his head for an armbar from your back, then swinging that leg down to sweep instead is a great move I use all the time ( it's a Flower Sweep right ? ).

Say I'm in full guard, and my opponent tries to posture up to break my guard and make space. I will climb to high guard ( my favorite place off my back atm ) and then spin to armbar. I like to use the momentum of spinning to the armbar to reach for their far leg ( if possible ) and sweeping them over to armbar from the top. I use a similar setup to sweep from a failing triangle to do a mounted triangle ( like someone mentioned earlier ).

Another one I like using from triangle is like so. You an attempting a triangle choke, but you haven't tightened it up and his head got free of your hands and he's standing up. I let him drag me up a little ( but not lift me off the ground for a slam! ) then suddenly release my legs and as i slide down I will clasp his hips with my legs and push my knees into his chest while either grabbing behind his ankles as I push, or putting my hands behind my head, palms down, and using that to base off when I push him over. Make sure when you trip the person over like that you don't land facing them square or you will have trouble sitting up and over to get top position. Try to land a bit to one side with pressure on their leg on the side you're leaning to. Continue this circular motion/momentum to compass yourself into mount.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 4:11am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will gas out and eat punches or do the barnacle routine.Them's teh breaks.
    I totally agree. But this reminds me of what happened the other night during sparring. We were doing mma sparring so striking, takedowns, etc. I went against someone stronger, faster and younger than me. He is also training for his first amateur mma fight so he was taking it seriously. We traded a few punches and then he shot for the takedown. Got both my feet off the ground and I fell on my back. He tried to scramble past to side control but I caught him in half guard. I then proceeded to pull the barnacle off like a proper noob. He was just so goddamn strong and I just kept switching grips from behind his head and the other overhooked to whatever else kept him down. I was totally gassing out my arms and I knew even at the time it was not what I'm supposed to do. I couldn't hold him anymore and he passed to side control. I ate a few punches, but nothing to serious as I was frantically distracting him with everything I had. I was feeling pretty grim. But then suddenly I felt his base compromise for a split second and I swept him over and I had side control. Once I had the top he never got out again and I rained down a few nice punches. I had done well in the end but I just couldn't help but just feel lucky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 1:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From De La Riva (hooking with your left leg):

If you have a grip on the arm opposite side of the hooked leg, you can push away to go into a sitting guard, from there, you can feed the grip over to your left hand under his leg, grab the lapel with the right, and straighten your left arm while pulling down on the lapel to sweep.

If they use the other hand to break the grip on their sleeve, you can grab that sleeve and go up for a single.

If you lose that grip you can use your grip on the lapel to feed it to your left hand to go for a single again.

If they drive into you, you can use the lapel grip, taking out your hook, putting the crook of foot and ankle in the front of his leg, grabbing his leg with the free hand and sweeping backwards.

Forgive me if my explanations are vague or some details are incorrect, but those are some moves that work pretty well in conjunction with each other, depending on how the opponent reacts.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast