Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 4:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put that in with out much reference cos I am only about 50 percent sure that is the same 20 second knockout guy. I think it may even be a rematch
    but i diddnt want to sound stupid if I was wrong.

But it sdosent matter what style you do if you can fight MMA you will look like an MMA fighter.
    Even BJJ guys throw punches now.

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 6:21am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    But it sdosent matter what style you do if you can fight MMA you will look like an MMA fighter.
    That can be said for the Chun, Aikido etc. If you cross train and it comes to the crunch, the weaker art will disappear and the stronger ones will show through, like in that vid.

Capoeira is very cool, it makes people very fit, flexible and strong. It looks wicked and is even full of hot chicks but so it break-dancing, rock climbing and surfing.

It's clearly a fantastic thing to do but it is not fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 8:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    But it dosent matter what style you do if you can fight MMA you will look like an MMA fighter.

I agree completely, but by the same token you cannot use an mma fighter who happens to be able to throw some capoeira kicks, as evidence of capoeira's effectiveness, especially if he is not regularly finishing his fights using specifically capoeira techniques

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 1:26pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After Machida and Parysian, I'm not willing to rule out any single martial art's ability to adopt some range techniques to MMA. We could start seeing meia lua kicks in MMA if someone manages to start pulling them off with regularity and training other people on it. Right now we have 1 karate guy and few judo guys pulling off stuff from their art forms. We're seeing more and more uchi matas and hip throws. The US has a zillion wrestlers and the Brazilians brought BJJ & Muy Thai - so those 3 arts are prevalent due to both effectiveness and sheer numbers.

I can see a future where some crazy bastard of a grappler starts doing capoera from a modified "sit-up guard". Throws crazy kick, lands on opposite hand and foot - already in a guard-like position. Repeat. Like extreme guard up-kicking. Might be a total fantasy, but I'm not ruling it out some day.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    After Machida and Parysian, I'm not willing to rule out any single martial art's ability to adopt some range techniques to MMA.
    ANY martial art?

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I agree completely, but by the same token you cannot use an mma fighter who happens to be able to throw some capoeira kicks, as evidence of capoeira's effectiveness, especially if he is not regularly finishing his fights using specifically capoeira techniques
    So are you saying I have to go through every single grappler who has finished a fight stand up and discount their martial art. Every wrestler who used submissions every Bjj guy who uses a suplex and so on.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234