Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:09pm

Style: boxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only flexability, but you do have to have some amazing body control/strength to pull some of this stuff off.

YouTube- Capoeira Mar de ItapuĆ£ 4

Its def not the best fighting style but I would still love to try it out just on the fact that you would gain flexability and strength (hopefully) from doing so...also, on the off chance that I get to see something like this

YouTube- capoeira brasil (samba)

+1 for brazilian chicks shakin their asses, def would give you a reason to go and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:50pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.mma-masters.com/

the guy on the top right, his name is Luis. He's an MMA fighter. I asked him why he did Capo, and he said it actually works. The school is legit; The BJJ guy is where i first learned how to do BJJ. So even a MMA guy thinks Capo has its uses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:54pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has taken a turn for the better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 1:03pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    How was that knockout "luck?" I guess it is always luck when a foot kicks you in the head. lol

TKD was never mentioned by me. Stop trying to change the subject.

Yes I brought up TKD. I was giving you an analogy. In order to attack it you must show how it is not analogous rather than claiming I am changing the subject, which I did not do.

The fact remains that this is the only example out there of a Capoerista making Capo work. Capoeira guys still lose the vast majority of the time. We must judge the effectiveness of a martial art by its ability to train large amounts of people to fight well. Capoeira fails horribly at this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 1:09pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blix View Post
    Capoeira's got a lot of great stuff already mentioned: flexibility, Brazilian women. But, there's a reason the video is "Crazy 20 second Capoeira Knockout!!!1!" Capo gives you great endurance, but also asks you to burn through it so fast. Get me a "Crazy 20 minute Capoeira Knockout!" and you'll change my mind.
    Um, actually capoieristas have about as much endurance as the average standup fighter.
    The last hora I went to was pretty typical in that the leader of the sparring session was leading everyone in song. A kind of call and response. Well this guy was about 6'4 230 lbs, and looked exactly like brett rogers. He even had the same haircut. When he decides to get in and start sparring he does, but doesn't bother to stop singing. I watched this gigantic man bust head kicks, handstands, and head kicks from handstands, for at least ten minutes.
    I know that most of the guys at my gym's limit is about 3 rounds of hard sparring, and thats not while singing.
    So..yeah. That's what's up.

(apologies for anecdotal evidence)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 1:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, we have seen this many times myself including. I'd have to see it a non-capo event.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Full Contact Capoeira (videos, believe it or not) - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

This has been done before. Capoeira CAN be trained in a way that makes it useful for fighting. Probably not the BEST but still useful.
    Also, many top level BJJ guys from Brazil have Capo back grounds, including Ruben "Cobrinha" Charles, and it shows in the way they move sometimes.

That may be, but something like 95% of Capoeiristas still do no contact sparring only, and the few that spar hard and compete still mostly lose. There are probably more reasons to train Capoeira than any other martial art (Brazilian girls, extremely good flexibility, flashiness, balance and overall fitness, etc., etc.), but when it comes to learning how to fight, it really doesn't get much worse than Capoeira. No matter how hard you train, throwing a kick while standing on your head is never a good idea in a real fight.

Isn't this bullshido? Am I not preaching to the choir here?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 2:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^This is why the bullshit is moved. Do you understand the post or do I need to put you into trollshido?

Keywords before your rant were "sometimes" which is usually less than 50% and "can be" which, does not in any way imply that all of capoeira is useful 95% of the time.

Quite being an idiot and building strawman arguments about **** you watched on TV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    ^^This is why the bullshit is moved. Do you understand the post or do I need to put you into trollshido?

Keywords before your rant were "sometimes" which is usually less than 50% and "can be" which, does not in any way imply that all of capoeira is useful 95% of the time.

Quite being an idiot and building strawman arguments about **** you watched on TV.
    Okay. I suppose the first time I read it I skimmed over it and got the impression it was a similar argument to "Shotokan is good to train in because Machida made it work". I see this is not what he meant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:39pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, let's give this horse one final kick in the ass before we let it just rest in peace already:

While some fighting styles are simply more realistic/practical/etc. than others (i.e. Muay Thai to TKD, Savate to Capoeira), it all depends on the way it is trained. Yes, capoeira is useless when trained with slow, light contact sparring and insistance on impractical sounding techniques, as is any other martial art when trained this way. Yes, capoeira can be useful when trained with full speed, 60-75% contact sparring and emphasis on training techniques that work against resisting competition, as is any other martial art when trained this way. A capoeira fighter who trains properly (i.e. to fight) can beat any fighter from any style who trains improperly (i.e. to LARP). You can find instances where fighters drop their hands at the wrong time and pay for it both for and against capoeria, so using them as "proof" proves nothing.

[/discussion]

Now can we please stop beating this "BUT ______ CAN BE EFFECTIVE IF", as this horse has died a long time ago.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast