Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 9:20am

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for Taekkyon practitioners.

Hello, I am a noob who just joined few days ago. At the moment I practice Aikido with my university group in New Jersey, US.

I wanted to start out with Taekkyon, but I could not find a Taekkyun jun soo gwan anywhere near the east coast (I heard there are few in CA).

Out of fascination, I actually bought the Taekkyon DVD by Turtlepress before joining bullshido, and I really wish I knew of bullshido before buying that DVD because it was most utter crap I've ever seen.

So to the Taekkyon practitioners in bullshido, is there any informative book or dvd you would recommend for Taekkyon? None of my friends in Korea practice Taekkyon and I have problem joining online communities in Korea because I gave up Korean citizenship years ago and lack a social security number.

Suggestion for any kind of books/dvd on taekkyon (may it be documentary or instructional) would be appreciated since I don't believe I can learn Taekkyon off a dvd, but I wish to be better informed about the art. I am planning to take some class from Kyullyun Taekkyon jun soo gwan when I go to Korea next summer.

ps: I do Korean Masked dancing and it does look similar to Taekkyon (at 3:18), and okumjil in Taekkyon seems to be almost identical to okumjil I do during farmers drumming (constant motion of bending knees). Do you think my knowledge in these performance arts would help me better grasp the concepts in Taekkyon?
    YouTube- Taekkyun #25

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 9:48am

Style: taekkyon, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's too bad you got the Turtlepress shite. Really a waste on all possible levels. I'm not aware of any other instructional videos, but I haven't been to Korea in two years, so there might be something now.

I think the best books are these, in order of quality:

전통무술 택견 by 송덕기 / 박종관
    우리무예 택견 by 도기현 (part of a series)
    한국무예 택견 by 이용복
    택견 전수교본 by 오장환

These aren't available in the U.S., but you might be able to order them off the Kyobo Books site: http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/index.laf

There's also a book in English, just titled "Taekkyon," available from Amazon. I haven't read it. It appears to be produced by the Korea Taekkyon Association, so it probably supports their view of things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for book suggestions. 전통무술 택견 by 송덕기 옹 was sold out so I am trying to get my hands on the 2 book series by 도기현. I think I am just going to buy the Korean books, much more comfortable reading first hand material rather than a translated version.

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 1:27am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand anything about this art, and this confuses and enrages me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys like TNMP and Edgewalker are few people in bullshido who actually seem to have first hand experience with the art, so if you use search function and type in 'Taekkyon', you should see few threads/posts by these two and few others that may give you some idea. Also, videos on youtube posted by ssey2000 have various competitions+documentary segments regarding the art, but none of them are subbed, so I suggest you watch the ones on the competition. ssey2000's channel page on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ssey2000#p/u