Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need training for newbie in Osan Korea

My daughter is going to be stationed in Osan Korea for a year. She has no martial arts experience but listened to her Dad suggest she not miss an opportunity to learn from someone "in country." I don't think she cares what style as long as it isn't McDojo which would make her Daddy cry.

Thanks,

Bill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 10:39pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought McDojos only existed in America.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 11:17pm

Style: taekkyon, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the answer = no

no

no

there are lots of McDojangs in Korea, just like everywhere else. There's plenty of Bullshido, too. Gicheon alone provides enough Bullshido for an entire continent.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it is still there, I believe there is a Tang Soo Do school available. Else, there should be an "on base" class taught by a local.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 12:16pm

Style: taekkyon, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer the OP, here are a few gyms in or near Osan (not on base). I haven't been to any of them. English probably isn't spoken, but they might be worth trying.

1. taekkyon
    -- instructor: Im Jae-ho / 임재호
    -- phone:
    031-372-6930

This is likely to be a good place to train.

2. taekwondo
    -- instructor:
    Kim Do-yeong / 김도영
    -- phone: (010) 8961-2707

I have no idea.

3. Kyeoktugi / 격투기 - this just means "fighting." These kinds of schools typically teach something like MMA, though the quality varies hugely. This gym is in Pyeongtaek, which is relatively close to Osan.
    -- instructor: who knows?
    -- phone: (031) 655-9669

I'll look for others if I ever have more time.

Posted On:
    6/30/2009 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Mr. Yi is still running the Dragon Gate (Hapkido) downtown he's definately worth looking up (things may have changed there a bit since 1988 though).

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 11:36am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lived in Korea for several years and being a huge MA fan I studied multiple styles in that time usually attending 2-3 different classes a night at 2-3 different schools up to 6 days a week. In retrospect I spent time training at places that I now wish I hadn't wasted my time on. If I could do it all over again here's what I would've done;

Judo: I actually spent a fair amount of time studying Judo in Korea, I just wish I had spent more.

TKD: If you find the right gym it's worth the effort.

Taekkyon: I really wish I would've done this.

GongKwon YooSool: I didn't know of it's existence while I was there. If I did I would've trained it for sure.

KyukTooGi: Basically Korean kickboxing, but now it is taking on more of a MMA slant. Really it's more of training to fight in a specific rules set than an actual system, but good nontheless.

Things to avoid in general (there are good and bad schools for each style but generally the bad far out number the good) :

- Any kind of Wushu, unless they teach SanDa.
    - Kuk Sool Won or anything with the name Kuk Sool in the title.
    - HapKido, there are some good HKD schools but they can be difficult to find.
    - Kumdo, Yeah it's fun to twirl swords around but in the long run a waste of time.
    - Hwa Rang Do, total made up bullshit and in Korea they jump around in orange and pink
    uniforms. That right there was enough to make me avoid it like the plague.
    - TeGong Moo Sool, Special forces martial art! Whatever, see hapkido.

All of this is just my opinion based on my time there. Hope this helps.
    安氏八极拳学生

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2009 1:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin,

Sounds like you did quite a study. Do you recall any specific school names that were good around Osan?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 11:56am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately no. I was living in Kangnam area of Seoul and tried to keep my training confined to that region to cut down on travel. Basically my above post is a guideline of what to consider and what to avoid.

We have some members that are actually currently stationed in Korea that would be more up to date on what are the good KMA schools right now, hopefully they'll make their way to this thread.
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 7/02/2009 12:02pm at .
    安氏八极拳学生

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2009 7:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshin-ryu, Kyokushinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are two different kinds of fencing schools in Korea. One is Haedong Kumdo, that's the twirling the swords around one. The other is just Kumdo, and that's just Japanese Kendo with a different name. The Kumdo places can be really good. The Haedong Kumdo places are pretty awful.

As far as MAs, from what I've seen personally, Judo may be one of the best to study in Korea. The schools I've been to use the old school system, white belt, brown belt, black belt. That's it. They train hard, and the instructors are good. The only issue, most of them use the Korean names for the throws, so you may have to figure out the Japanese terms later, pretty much anywhere else in the world. Not such a big sacrifice for good instruction though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast