Posted On:
    7/06/2010 7:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    My teacher calls it 5-kicks.

You do 1 kick five times. On the next set, you do the same kick, but twice each rep, without putting your leg down. Repeat until you do the kick 5 times each rep. Do with all your kicks and each leg.

It works balance, muscle control, and kicking speed.
    it only works with snap kicks
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 7:23am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a new one

In-fighting drill
    No walls this time.

Fight the in-range but don't you shouldn't be in clinching range (that is more of a safety range). When you see opponent's gloves, then fire off to the head. When you can't see their gloves, fire to the body. Every time you block a body hook, fire an uppercut. Move to their outside, pivot, do all of the regular footwork stuff. If you one of you are southpaw, use the lead hand to hold his lead hand down while moving. Be a little bit dirty.

Point of this excercise is to 1. get good at in-fighting 2. become a bit more fearless about incoming punches

Note that this is a boxing workout. Might not apply when you can throw, clinch, knee, etc.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 7:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ended up doing a variation of this at an MMA gym last night. its similar except they allow clinching and greco-style wrestling.

..it becomes exponentially harder to land successful clinch strikes when throws and sweeps are allowed, obviously.

The aim is to make you better at infighting/clinch striking in an mma setting. you use mma gloves.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 7:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really an advanced drill but here goes..

This is the go-to drill I was told to do over and over again. I've seen it before but not as emhpasized as I am at this school (Mike Bell @ American Combat Club)

Do it on a double end bag or simply a glove on the ground. Keep eyes up and keep your prehiperal vision alive.
    Begin circling to your lead leg side (right side for me). Every half-circle, step over with the lead leg (helps if you have a line drawn, step well over the line), bring your back leg via pivot, half-step the lead leg and reset and continue with movement.

Every once in a while switch directions. Start adding jabs with every step and double japs (with double step).

Work on heavy bag with the same footwork. I like to work on staying outside (since that type of fighting is basically missing in my brain) at first; using the pivot-reset to move back into outside range. Then I start throwing in-close punches, pivot-reset, kick, etc. If I get the bag swinging heavy enough I try to move to the opposite side of the bag (like triyng to get your opponent's back). At times I focus on circling out from striking range.

Kind of a beginner drill, but when you start throwing the punches I think it becomes an intermediate drill. I'm gonna make the guys at UFKB do this over and over again.

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 9:43pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really a drill, so much as a punishment. If anyone is caught leaving their chin up one too many times while sparring, they spend ALL of the next class with a tennis ball tucked under it. That goes for anyone from the fighters to the people who just started. It's godawful annoying, but it does the trick faster than yelling "KEEP YOUR CHIN TUCKED!" a million times.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, our boxing coach made Kat hold a roll of hand wraps under her chin all the time and she still keeps her head up :P
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 2:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Belt Drill

Two guys wearing a couple of martial arts belts are tied together by another one at the waist which is just slightly longer than their arms reach. They spar using hands only, no clinching.

Stops people from excessively circling and wasting time when sparring. Develops ranging for the guys as they become accustomed to standing just outside the other guys reach all the time.

Round robin drill

One guy in the middle, five guys in a circle around him, he fights each guy one after the other for a minute each with the outside guys pushing the pace.

Develops better conditioning for the guy in the middle, let's newbies get experience with a high quality partner if they are placed on the outside.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 7:27pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any good solo drills out there?

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 7:45pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know its obvious, but shadow sparring. If you do it the right way there is no better solo drill. I thought i was doing it properly a year ago, i wasn't.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting to learn shadow boxing all over again. I'm beginning to see that its the single most important thing to do solo.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast