Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't usually post in here because I am not up to the level of the discussion in here.

I just want to say this: Steve is a very articulate guy, and a very accomplished martial artist, but he is famously uncomfortable with they keyboard as a means of expressing himself (similar to Tripp, but more extreme). It takes awhile to acclimate to the mode of communication on this site. Anyone who has read This clusterfuck will remember what I was like when I 1st started posting here. I have learned a lot of web-fu since then, and I am a more resiliant poster now, but am still occasionally thin skinned :)

He will be an asset to the site if you guys can give him some space to get used to the style here. Kin, he's not the kind of guy who "gets" comments about his "panties", or the spirit in which they are intended.

I asked him via phone exactly what he was trying to explian, and I would crystallize it as this: The potential for injury if you are countered in the way he described makes the technique a serious tactical mistake. Now I'm just reporting; I, personally, don't know jack about the fine details of Kimura lock. So I'll bow out of that conversation at this point.

Steve is in Cali, and I recommended he look into to visiting Omega's school and meeting at least those of us that train there. He said he'd be happy to drive up (down?). He is a very nice and reasonable guy in person, and someone that we should keep if possible. On the web, with strangers, he is very easy to work up. For a guy with so many diverse skills, that is one area where he could use some improvement (hint) :)

If Mike will have him, it would be a good idea for him to meet people face to face and roll with them before he gets off on the wrong foot in an interwebz flame war. He might even be convinced to drag Karo along with him.

Please play nice boys ;)

Edit: jnp, I would consider it a personal favor if you allow this post to stand, even though it probabliy violates the requirement for grappling content.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 4/13/2010 3:58pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:57pm

Business Class Supporting Member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark, and Omega, and I are Alpha Males. End of story.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    War Wheel: I understand that, which is why I was trying to draw him out by being very nice and soliciting commentary. The closest thing to a rude word I said before he started talking about breaking my arms was when I talked about his posts making me sad because of the wasted potential.
    I want the guy to post. I want him to dissect my video and tell me, "This is wrong, here's why. You'll get fucked up 70% of the time by anyone purple belt or up because of X."
    I'm more than happy to have that. But instead of got a bunch of "I'll break your arm" posts. Even after I acknowledged that yes, there is an armbar counter to that sweep. Then he got all pissy because I underestimated the experience gap between us and it sparked a minor rant in me about how all of the people with decades of experience seem to be really testy if they don't get people licking their boots around here. Then I got death threats.

So yeah. I'm sure the guy is a sweet heart in person as well as a talented grappler and instructor. But so far he's come off like an asshat and the level of technical analysis he's offered is on par with what any of the forum purple belts could have offered me. I hope he sticks around and his posting quality improves.

And for the record, yes, everything I have said in this thread I would say in person. If you're the kind of guy who attempts to kill people because they said you were acting like a douchebag then I guess that would suck for me.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Oracle.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, don't drag me into this...

...I can get in trouble all by myself thank you!!!

Note: the above is a joke.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgive you Kin.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is all good Mark ;)

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Hey, don't drag me into this...

...I can get in trouble all by myself thank you!!!

Note: the above is a joke.
    And now the the alpha males are all here :)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:09pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, now that we've got this love fest going and my technique vid has been beat to death maybe having all of these people in the advanced tech forum at once will cause someone else to start a thread about a technique and get some discussion going, eh?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go look over there....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast