Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 10:55pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient View Post
    Your entire post was very well put, but I especially liked this last part- it's a very good perspective to have when approaching our hobby. We're called BJJ players for a reason.
    More people should have this attitude. That's why I don't correct my English students when we talk about hobbies and they ask, "How long have you played karate?"

I'm hoping it will catch on.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 2:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my buddy who was my trainingpartner in judo holds a 5th dan with the kodokan and is from japan, and he always says;' i PLAY judo. but just amateur!'

haha! sneaky japanese fucker!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 6:17pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I just read through this whole thread while waiting for my pasta to boil...making lasagna :)

What a ride. So, at the risk of going backwards, just to comment on the original video...

Gernerally IMO, failed shoulder locks lead to a wide variety counter armbars and shoulder locks. I generally have my guys abandon them and move on, rather than waste energy on a failing sub and risking a counter. Like others here, I am not great at describing techniques, but I try. I prefer vids. But, I also get confused with all the japanese terminology since it was never part of my vocabulary. So, generally speaking, let me say that I am a firm believer of moving on when something is not working. Sure, at times you may be able to hold of longer than you should and pull a rabbit out of your hat, but I generally suggest to keep moving to your next attack. Trust fluid movement. Follow the movement to the next natural attack, rather than hold on and hope the failing one may turn into something.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are boiling the noodles?????

Simple Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna

Most lasagna recipes are complicated affairs that take hours to prepare. The sauce needs to be prepared and long simmered to develop its flavor, the noodles must be carefully cooked so they don’t rip, and then, finally, the components must be layered. We wanted to develop a recipe for simple lasagna with all the flavor of traditional lasagna. Here’s what we discovered:

Use no-boil noodles. Pre-cooked and dehydrated at the factory, they rehydrate as the lasagna bakes. This means no time-consuming boiling of noodles.

While homemade sauce tastes best, store-bought sauce works fine, too.

Make a simple filling with ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, and egg. The egg helps to tighten the texture of the filling and keep it in layers.

Use frozen spinach to save on work. Thaw it and squeeze out as much moisture as possible to prevent making the filling watery.

Use imported Parmesan cheese for the best flavor. Buy a chunk of cheese and grate it fresh; pre-grated cheese can be dry and taste bland.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 7:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second the No-Boil noodles, the Jennosaurus uses them when making Lasagna and they cut the cooking time WAAAAAYYY down without reducing the deliciousness.

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    imported parmesan is really expensive.

i got my hands on some authetnic american 'sweet baby ray's' (rings a bell?) bbq sauce for mah chicken tonight.
    awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:09am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    You are boiling the noodles?????

Simple Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna

Most lasagna recipes are complicated affairs that take hours to prepare. The sauce needs to be prepared and long simmered to develop its flavor, the noodles must be carefully cooked so they donít rip, and then, finally, the components must be layered. We wanted to develop a recipe for simple lasagna with all the flavor of traditional lasagna. Hereís what we discovered:

Use no-boil noodles. Pre-cooked and dehydrated at the factory, they rehydrate as the lasagna bakes. This means no time-consuming boiling of noodles.

While homemade sauce tastes best, store-bought sauce works fine, too.

Make a simple filling with ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, and egg. The egg helps to tighten the texture of the filling and keep it in layers.

Use frozen spinach to save on work. Thaw it and squeeze out as much moisture as possible to prevent making the filling watery.

Use imported Parmesan cheese for the best flavor. Buy a chunk of cheese and grate it fresh; pre-grated cheese can be dry and taste bland.
    I usually make sauce in batches that would last me a week or so. I've been to Italy and after that trip I've become a total pasta snob with no tolerance for cutting corners lol. Also, frozen spinach? WHY

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    I usually make sauce in batches that would last me a week or so. I've been to Italy and after that trip I've become a total pasta snob with no tolerance for cutting corners lol. Also, frozen spinach? WHY
    Its not always in season and it doesn't keep well. I have had to move to frozen vegis because I simply can't eat them fast enough before they go bad. Also, and I was stunned by this, in many cases frozen is "fresher" than "fresh." Although in Michigan we are in Farmer's Market time very soon, and I use them alot.

I make crock pot sauce and freeze it in small batches too. As to the expense of the imported parma, yes, but, you need so very little when it is like that it works out.

Make sure you are watching Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen on your local PBS stations. Oh, and now you know why coming to watch stuff at my place has more going for it than might first appear.

Now, lets all make a thread somewhere for cooking before we get beaten with a limp noodle for derailing this thread.

:icescream
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 9:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    imported parmesan is really expensive.

i got my hands on some authetnic american 'sweet baby ray's' (rings a bell?) bbq sauce for mah chicken tonight.
    awesome.
    Stubb's You can get it on line.

Less sugar, wide range of great stuff. Their wing sauce is to die for.

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 11:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Stubb's You can get it on line.

Less sugar, wide range of great stuff. Their wing sauce is to die for.
    thanks for the tip!
    right now ive beenmarinating the chicken in the sauce (tip of american friend) and i'll be putting em in the oven within the hour, im really curious how it will taste, it smells nice already!

kfc isnt really big here (yet), in my town the first subway opened just one year ago and some months ago the first starbucks opened in the netherlands.
    i tried it, its really fucking gross, how can you people drink this crap?
    its really expensive too.