NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    The problem, as I see it, would be discerning the fake martial artists who are real idiots from the fake idiots who are actually real martial artists.
    Well said.

Still, I vouched for him, Coach Seck indicated in his recommendation that he would vouch for him too. Phrost should be able to OK him as well.

It is possible to have a different voice for people who aren't suspect.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 11:46pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    That's great. Just Steve or Karo too?
    He said he was bringing Kara too.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 4:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    note to any moderator who watches this (i mean YOU, JNP) this thread is in the ymas section.

so anyway: it's good to see someone like retnuheth post here, you should all feel lucky he takes time to show stuff.
    personally i think (well actually know for sure) he has been very polite in his comments about the ude garami mark 00:19 video by saying there's one fault in it.

thats all i gotta say cos you know, im a total noob.

;-)

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 4:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Heh, just got done talk to him (retnuheht) on the phone a few times. Nice guy, I like him, he's going to come up to my gym this weekend.

someone's finally going to **** your **** up huh?
    about time.

:-p

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 6:24am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Kin is very sharp. I just worry about the continued perception that we are, at the end of the day, more interested in web-fu than martial arts. I get a lot of comments to that effect from a lot of very experienced people. Josh Bartholomew didn't want to come on here, and I had to interview him to get the info I though he should post.

Now Arce is exceptionally... ungood... at web-fu, but he is exactly the kind of person we should be retaining. It's worth thinking about whether our culture is impeeding our growth.
    that goes the other direction, too.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 6:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    that goes the other direction, too.
    Explain that to me like I'm 4 please.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    four year old: how about "if you share with him, he'll share with you."

not four year old: 'they' (that is, the archetypal class of fantastic instructors who find communicating on the internet... unfamiliar... at best) have as much to learn from 'us' (the bulk of the community that lives and breathes the interweb) as we do from them. if an attempt to modify the discourse isn't mutual - if either we aren't willing to spell things out and cut some slack, or they aren't willing to accept that this is a medium with new and different customs, some of which they must get the hang of - we will invariably devolve to either kowtowing, condescension, or acrimony.

we're trying to learn from people who often don't speak our language. due to the circumstances (ie, the internet), we can't learn theirs if they won't try to learn ours.

it's as un-fun for them trying to deal with the currents and eddies of our culture as it is for us to step on the mats and get dumped on our heads without explanation. the purpose of the forum is to address the latter, which takes two willing sides; i agree with your suggestion that we should do something about the latter, which equally takes matching participation.

this is made especially difficult because, as stated earlier and on top of everything else, these are almost invariably alpha male types (and older ones at that); alpha males are necessarily not known for their ability to easily step back and learn from other members of the pack.

(i hope that makes some sort of sense, i tend towards pretense at the best of times, and right now i've got coworkers descending on me every five minutes with problems that they should be solving on their own)
    Last edited by pauli; 4/14/2010 7:17am at .

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 8:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. That helps.

The problem as I see it is really specific to Bullshido. Most sites are full of clowns hiding behind their keyboards, punking each other til the reb bull runs out. Only on a site like this is there an expectation that the person giving you grief might actually respond to an invitation to fight, spar, roll, or just meet for a beer, is there an problem. Knowing that possibility is supposed to exist, it makes it harder for people not used to getting grief from other matrial artists without the chance to ask them to back their **** up, to take the kind of abrasive talk we all know and love.

I doubt they really care about idiots on YT (or Sherdog for that matter).

I'm not making a concrete suggestion, just trying to start a discussion about something I never gave to much thought to before. At the end of the day, we really should have a lot more of these folks participating than we do. Notice we can't even retain even semi-regular participation from someone like JudoSensei with whom we have had positive dealings in the past. Or Pat Miletich.

We are lucky to have people like Omega, Tripp, and Kuhn Kao. If Arce stays, we'll be lucky to have him too.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 8:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    He said he was bringing Karo too.
    Vid or it didn't happen.

I heard he is going to enter little Harut. That should be awesome. He looks like a handful.

How many divisions are you running? This is SAMBO right?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 8:38am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    four year old: how about "if you share with him, he'll share with you."

not four year old: 'they' (that is, the archetypal class of fantastic instructors who find communicating on the internet... unfamiliar... at best) have as much to learn from 'us' (the bulk of the community that lives and breathes the interweb) as we do from them. if an attempt to modify the discourse isn't mutual - if either we aren't willing to spell things out and cut some slack, or they aren't willing to accept that this is a medium with new and different customs, some of which they must get the hang of - we will invariably devolve to either kowtowing, condescension, or acrimony.

we're trying to learn from people who often don't speak our language. due to the circumstances (ie, the internet), we can't learn theirs if they won't try to learn ours.

it's as un-fun for them trying to deal with the currents and eddies of our culture as it is for us to step on the mats and get dumped on our heads without explanation. the purpose of the forum is to address the latter, which takes two willing sides; i agree with your suggestion that we should do something about the latter, which equally takes matching participation.

this is made especially difficult because, as stated earlier and on top of everything else, these are almost invariably alpha male types (and older ones at that); alpha males are necessarily not known for their ability to easily step back and learn from other members of the pack.

(i hope that makes some sort of sense, i tend towards pretense at the best of times, and right now i've got coworkers descending on me every five minutes with problems that they should be solving on their own)
    Sticky please.
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast