Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    None ... Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I want to learn; Schools in NYC?

I have no MA experience to speak of and I've never been in a fight. I am moving to NYC and will have some free time on my hands, so I thought I should learn Aikido ... Until I googled "Aikido Sucks" and landed here.

I'll be in NYC in a few months. I don't care what MA I learn, but I do want it to be self-defense oriented. I'll be traveling to a few third-world countries early next year and would like to be physically and mentally confident.

I read the Finding a Good Martial Arts School post but I would like specific advice on finding a school in NYC that can teach me some self-defense in a hurry AND one that I can continue with for a few years (after I get back from traveling).

TL;DR: Help! I've never been in a fight and need a good school in NYC for self-defense!!

BTW. I really dig the bullshido vibe around here. Looks like you've got an awesome community.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site.

Why are you so worried about self defense and being in a fight?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, I am new here as well and am also looking for schools in NYC. I can not afford more than $200 a month so Renzo's is out. I also need a school that has morning classes. I have looked at the different schools online but was hoping someone here might have some recommendations to help narrow my search?

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest the Combat SAMBO school of Stephen Koepfer.
    Stephen posts here on BS.net under the name "sambosteve", so you can ask him for more information.

Feel free to come by his school. www.nycombatsambo.com

With kind regards,
    Zendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    I would suggest the Combat SAMBO school of Stephen Koepfer.
    Stephen posts here on BS.net under the name "sambosteve", so you can ask him for more information.

Feel free to come by his school. www.nycombatsambo.com

With kind regards,
    Zendo
    If my opinion means anything, the above is the BEST advise and the BEST place to go to.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i also vote for ny combat sambo, but you might want to check out some of the judo dojos as well: kokushi budo institute, macburney ymca judo program or oishi judo.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    PTK / MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both of the above are good suggestions.

To throw another into the ring Five Points isn't bad- does Judo, Muay Thai and Kali and has the advantage of not having to sign a contract or pay monthly. If you want, you can pay $25/day to take as many classes as you want. Also, has morning and evening classes.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat Sambo FTW. If I was in the city I'd be there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys I will check them out!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Combat Sambo FTW. If I was in the city I'd be there.
    Hear, Hear!

If you are interested in pure striking, then I would also recommend Kru Phil Nurse's gym http://www.thewat.com/enter.html

For well rounded training NY Combat Sambo is the best.

Bear in mind, it is a SPORT club, but you will find that sport training is actually better for self defense than anything else because... wait for it... you can actually practice your techniques at full force, against people who are very, very good. THAT is where real confidence comes from: knowing you pulled the same move off yesterday against someone who is 100x better than the untrained meanie in front of you.

Welcome, and best of luck.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last