Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:33pm

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true, JKD is usually taught through a base style, to which JKD principles are applied I believe.

Choke: I'm in the kendall area, but spend most of my time in the gables area. What about you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:33pm

Style: I do UFC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    omega

what if the JKD is original and not concepts? what is your opinion of the style that bruce taught after his "jun fan gung gu" phase? the style (phasic bent knee, power side forward, straight blast, parry, etc) and not the philosophy of no style...

if you say "they suck" what makes them suck? if they are "full of ****" what makes them full of ****?

curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Sifu divides MA into two parts: Self Preservation and Self Perfection
    Self preservation is the stuff that will work in a fight, the simple stuff (punches kicks clinch etc...)
    then there is self perfection which is more the cutsie stuff like spinning kicks, trapping, kata etc...
    every school should have both but should emphasize more of the former and less of the latter. Unfortunately many schools (in particular TMA schools) emphasize the self perfection aspect at the expense of self preservation. If I wanted to acheive self perfection Id move to Tibet and meditate, I want to kick ass therefore I train in a school which devotes itself to the self preservation and has a little self perfection techniques (everybody needs a little sugar sometimes)

My JKD school uses JKD more as a template through which to view our other martial arts (muay thai, jun fan etc...) we also use the JKD concepts like the PIA, HIA etc..

how do your schools view and teach JKD?
    would you classify your school (JKD or other MA) as more self preservation or self perfection and why?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm on the same page as Omega. Why is it "Jeet Kune Do" is just Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai, Dumog and some trapping? It's like...get your own style, "no-styler"!
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the jkd school i go to teaches aspects of mt, kali silat, kickboxing, judo, boxing, wingchun. ( the strike hit of fencing even) you can learn weapons too- nunchuks, knifefighting etc
    form what i can gather bruce lee studied many forms of striking and was learning judo at the time of his death developing his own style (jun fan kickboxing, jun fan wing chun concepts etc) around what he had learned from other places.
    In everything we learn the teacher tells us to keep it if we like or put in what we see fit. If a guy does thai boxing or likes his elbows and he gets in close use them, if a person prefers judo take him down if he sees fit. we have combination drills of course and he shows us limb dfestructions but he never says from this angle here you must do this- he is always letting us know that there are options in every combination and a constant stream of variables (hi lo lo hi hi hi lo etc) which are to be xplored.
    when it is said there is no style in jkd i think it refers to the fact that you dont adhere to one particular form of martial art through any situation but keep your eyes open to use the best tool for the job and to your particular liking despite where the techniques originally came from.
    it makes sense to me

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he is always letting us know that there are options in every combination and a constant stream of variables (hi lo lo hi hi hi lo etc) which are to be xplored.
    Isn't that King's 10-Hitter?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whatever. the point is to just use what is best and be adaptable.
  8. DRD

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sillitoe, read your PM

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    na, kings ten hitters are almost all high. he has one string i think where he does that lame leg kick about 3 times but its easy enough to block and counter. ten hitters are pretty crap in tekken anyway (well except the mishima ones)

erm back on topic- JKD is pretty much just MMA. in fact it IS MMA. I dont see anything inherently wrong with calling it either of the two, but from what I can gather most JKD schools call it that to build off Bruce Lee's reputation and attract the kind of people who get suckered easily. whereas MMA gyms tend to attract people like Asia (i.e. dirty big rough fellows)

of course then you have "traditional" JKD (**** talk about an oxymoron) which is just another kind of mcdojo.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2004 10:19pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by omega
    gaaaaah, still didnt' come out right.

If somebody tells me that they teach Jeet Kune Do as an actual martial art and not as a philoshophy or approach, I tell them the above, and we have one in my town and that's exactly what I told them.
    That's correct, actually. I just list JKD as my style because I want to be touched by the spirit of the Almighty Bruce. :rolleyes:
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast