Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

eyes opened by jkd

have recently taken up jkd- for the last 8 months after having spent 2 and a half years on tkd. The new training is completely different and has made me realise just how ridiculous some of the stuff i was taught in tkd was.
    am studying under steve powell in manchester, england. anyone ever heard of him? Cant get over how the people i learnt from before were putting ideas into my head that this jumping reverse turning kick stuff is actually useful in real situations. the most useful things i was taught was the releases, simple punches and body movement the latter two of which has helped me catch up with the rest of the jkd class- but cant help thinking i would have been better learning these without the pulled punches and 360 degree spins- ie a different martial art. am loving using my whole body to fight now-especially the elbows and knees. i wont condemn tkd altogether cause i had a great time learning it and i do miss having such regular sparring but cant help wondering if i fell for the dobok, coloured belts (everyone would like to be a black belt in something) and trophys of which i have a few without questioning what is useful. I guess that is the essence of jkd and why I have found myself so impressed with this new angle i have found in the martial arts.

Style
    Aikido, Boxing, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKD

I'm jealous, the best standup fightin' place I can get to is a TKD school. JKD is an eye opener yes.

Tried sparring with my friend who was a JKDer when I was goin to a boxing gym. He opened my eyes real good. Then my Aikido teacher really brought home the grace of JKD. You should consider yourself lucky to have found a place. Hopefully it's legit. I actually have found a place here in miami called the Unified Martial Arts Association or something. Founded under Dan Inosanto. Too far away and not enought time unfortunately.

Style
    Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only wish I could find a quality JKD place! Lucky bastard! Have fun!

Style
    Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I understand it correctly, JKD is more a principle than it is a fighting "style". You would think then that modern JKD practitioners would include techniques from arts such as BJJ and MT KB, is this the case?

From what I got out of Tao of JKD, the techniques in the book were "his" expression of JKD.

How does a JKD chool work being that everyone should, according to theory, find his or her own expression? I'm asking out of curiosity. I might be completely wrong about JKD. If so, tell me. I need to hear it now! kidding...

Jman

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All Schools that teach JKD suck.

There I said it and I'll say it to the instructors face to.

Now shut up.

Style
    World 10-3 Ryu Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL @ Omega! No kind welcome with rice crispy squares and Tang for the newbies. A baptisism of fire baby!

Akurra what part of Miami are you calling from?
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, they're newbies?

Welcome to bullshido rabble rabble blah blah.....

People who claim to teach Jeet Kune Do suck....

Now shut the **** up.

Style
    JKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, I'm not even gonna dignify that.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me elaborate. If a guy comes up to me and tells me "I teach Jeet kune do to my students" I'll tell them they're full of **** and they suck......

Now address that.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gaaaaah, still didnt' come out right.

If somebody tells me that they teach Jeet Kune Do as an actual martial art and not as a philoshophy or approach, I tell them the above, and we have one in my town and that's exactly what I told them.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last