Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 5:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tang soo do

How does Tang Soo Do compare to Shotokan, TKD, and Kung FU? Is it hoakie McDojo or actual practical self defnse techniques? Between Tang Soo Do, TKD, or Shotokan which is better for a Judoka to cross train in?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the question of what is Tang Soo Do, is there a particular reason why, if you are looking to cross train, you have chosen to limit yourself to examining the Karate variants of Tang Soo Do, Tai Kwon Do, or Shotokan?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took TSD back in the 80's for a while. It was definately a harder form of karate than the TKD I took. There was more sparring and they were still doing some of the sweeps and takedowns that most TKD schools were already moving away from. That being said I would expect these days to find quality in TSD to vary from one end of the spectrum to the other. Unless you can find a truly exceptional TSD school I would recommend going elsewhere for striking instruction.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a semester of tang soo do with Master Lloyd Francis. It was a college class, so probably a little different than at a school, but it's a lot like Shotokan. Are you interested in low stances and chambered fist positions?

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 2:16pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tang Soo Do and Shotokan are very similiar styles with slight variations the forms are very similiar if not exact
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is dependent on the teacher. I am a third dan in Tang Soo Do and we had ZERO hand contact to the face and only light contact to the rest of the body, so just look into the school and you should find out everything you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am limited by what is available in the area. There is no Muy Thai or JKD if that is what you are implying. I am not impressed with TKD or Kung Fu though. I will admit I know nothing about Tang Soo Do and there is not much out ther on the web, but a bunch of nondescript historical info.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 11:15am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alphascottb View Post
    I am limited by what is available in the area. There is no Muy Thai or JKD if that is what you are implying. I am not impressed with TKD or Kung Fu though. I will admit I know nothing about Tang Soo Do and there is not much out ther on the web, but a bunch of nondescript historical info.
    Check it out you may dig it , Chuck Norris is a Tang Soo Do stylist :copdance:
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:12pm

Style: tae kwan do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a Tang Soo Do school when I was younger.
    In comparison to the Tae Kwan Do school I go to currently, it was stricter, we regularly did bag work, we did light contact, no gear sparring, and the class lasted a full hour.

Now, it differs by teacher, but on the whole, it seems easier to find a Tang Soo Do school that's no watered down than a Tae Kwan Do School.