Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:12pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is professional to dress the part, but you don't need to go vigilante army hero. Who gives a crap anyway as long as you can kick butt and teach others to kick butt. I don't care if you wear a dress to class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:44pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    ....It is also important to remember that many of the FMA systems that are prominent now and the people who are heading them up, (or recently deceased masters) cut their teeth as fighters prior to and during WWII. It is only natural to me that some of them would want to hang on to that idea.
    I never considered this, though it makes some sense...
    Skill sets aside, I think more than a few of the rambo troupe (and i've trained with a couple different ones), are really digging the wank-fest that goes along with the psuedo-military "super commando elite" gig. That goes for the students as much as anything, who fall for the whole "dress in camo-train in the bush" vibe. They think they are getting the top notch military secret stuff, regardless.

My Illustrisimo Guro was wearing kakhi slacks when he told me "when you see there, the blade comes out of the neck, you put it back in!". Like Ninjas, i feel the whole militarism gives students a false sense of deadly realism in what they are doing. Dressing in jeans and sneakers, training in between parked cars on concrete is a little more practical for my lifestyle. This is soley my opinion though.

And the Super Kits are the most unrealistic things I have ever seen.
    Well... almost.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 8:43pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post
    As far as the white guy (or non Indo/malay etc...) wearing sarong. Its part of uniform/dress, and culture so no its not larping, plus you are usually given the meaning/reasoning behind it.

As far as being super tacticle man, your getting into Phil Elmore territory, this also applies to the guns and ammo crowd
    I'm kind of on-board with this. The rigs are kind of funny, and I never understood the PT groups' pseudo-military garb. It just looks funny. But ****, I wear basketball shorts and an underarmour shirt at practice. So whatever, I guess.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are going to get your show ponies no matter what martial art you do.
    I mean should I dare mention Tapout.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the black and red uniforms but never made any connection with it and the M.I.L.F. I think most people in the states don't even know who they are, and have probably only heard of Abu Sayyaf in passing news about Al Qaeda.

I think the paramilitary garb is kinda goofy, but I can't really talk since when I used to spar in the park I wore a blue jumpsuit so my judo friend could use judo techs (and it's nice to have cheap, sturdy clothes for serious training). It's also nice because your shirt doesn't ride up on you when grappling on the ground- I don't like having my bare skin scraping against the outdoors. I think that army surplus clothes are better for real training than a hakama or kimono or silk uniform or something that's awkward, expensive and possibly easily torn. I think boots aren't so good for training though- proper kicking with a boot is very destructive and can't really be applied with force against your training partner (or maybe I'm just a sissy, but I've broken a brick with a shin level boot kick without using full power).

I've known one guy who was kind of a knife rig guy- at the park where we used to spar, the park ranger was also a martial artist and he'd always stop by to see what we were working on. He was a Sayoc and Apache knife guy, and one time he showed us his knives- he carried Spydercos, and I believe he carried one in each of his side pants pocket, and one in his boot. He said that when you're on the ground or pinned against a wall, you can't always access your knife in one place. This kinda makes sense, but there's some problems. The first is that along with most of society I don't really get into lots of knife battles. The second is that while grappling, all your knives are things that you have to keep track of so your opponent doesn't take them and use them against you- if you can grab a knife from any position on the ground, your opponent probably can too.

At a Dog Brothers gathering, I did a training knife fight with a big guy wearing a black biker vest and black slacks. He had several knives, including one that was sticking out the back of his neck like a ninja sword or something. Before the match, I worked out in my head what I'd do if it went to the ground- if he was in my guard or mounting me, I'd hold him close so he couldn't hit me and steal his back knife and start stabbing his ribs. If he got a side mount I'd take one from his pocket. I also thought that I could use his drawing motion against him if I had a good position- if I was on top and he went for his back of the neck knife, he'd be putting his arm in a good position for a keylock, and if he went for his pocket I might be able to thread my arm around to a kimura. I didn't end up having to do any of this, because the only groundfighting happened at the very end of the match right before he called time (I was on my back using my legs to keep him back while repeatedly slashing his fencing mask, and he was standing and bent over, and I think he stabbed my left ribs- in real life I'd probably be dead and he'd be a bloody mess). At any rate, I think if you wanted a knife rig, you'd have to spend a good deal of time training knife retention against someone trying to take your weapons while grappling.

The last thing is that I have a certain mindset about my knife- I keep it folded in my pocket, and others can only use it if I give it to them. If they try to take it, I will do everything in my power to stop them immediately or they'll succeed, and it's most likely going to involve striking the neck or head on the side that they're trying to get my weapon with (since their arm and mind are occupied on taking my weapon away). I think this mindset is important for anyone who carries a weapon- if someone goes for it, stop them immediately, draw your weapon and create space. If I have a big rig of knives, this makes my retention strategy way more complicated and gives people behind me access to my weapons where I can't quickly and directly shut down their attempts.
    Last edited by Permalost; 4/14/2010 3:49pm at . Reason: paragraphing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 9:46pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the rigs were silly too, until I saw a training session involving a lot of disarm drills and/or throwing drills. Then it becomes obvious: you can rep the techniques longer without having to stop and pick up your knife every time. That and it lets you practice a lot of different draws from different carry spots... try it sometime, you might be surprised.

Not saying that some of it isn't just bs marketing to get you to buy expensive gear... but I now see some real benefit to having multiple trainers in multiple carries, rig or no.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drillpogodrill View Post
    I thought the rigs were silly too, until I saw a training session involving a lot of disarm drills and/or throwing drills. Then it becomes obvious: you can rep the techniques longer without having to stop and pick up your knife every time. That and it lets you practice a lot of different draws from different carry spots... try it sometime, you might be surprised.

Not saying that some of it isn't just bs marketing to get you to buy expensive gear... but I now see some real benefit to having multiple trainers in multiple carries, rig or no.
    Actually that makes sense for trainers, but I believe I've actually seen them marketed as a way to tote your pointy arsenal around, not have easy access to trainers to keep the training flowing. When working my FMA with a partner I often keep a folding trainer clipped to my pocket and it makes appearances that livens up training (I've even been known to have a hidden rubber ninja star because I was a kid in the ninjer era and refuse to grow up). I'd kinda like one of those rigs, but I also own chainmail and a claymore- I make it a hobby to prepare for the zombie hoardes.

EDIT: any videos you could post of a training session with them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 4:13am

Style: Lightning Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice FMA and I have to say that whenever my training partners and I go to other Martial Arts Seminars (particularly FMA and RBSD ones) we laugh in the corner at people who wear camouflage pants, what we call "poser pants".

One thing I find ridiculous though is how dead serious they are and how they kind of cock their head back and speak about "real combat" with such haughty arrogance that it makes art majors seem like agreeable people. Funny thing is that these guys have pot bellies and work at computer companies. That may explain why they look like they just came out of Blade or some other Vampire/werewolf/demon hunting related movie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 8:54am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drillpogodrill View Post
    I thought the rigs were silly too, until I saw a training session involving a lot of disarm drills and/or throwing drills. Then it becomes obvious: you can rep the techniques longer without having to stop and pick up your knife every time.
    it doesn't save time, though, since you have too pick up all those knives eventually _and_ sheathe all of them. it just seems to turn a bunch of small breaks into one really long one. i don't really see the benefit of not having to wait the two seconds it takes to pick a knife back up.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2010 3:06pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl View Post
    it doesn't save time, though, since you have too pick up all those knives eventually _and_ sheathe all of them. it just seems to turn a bunch of small breaks into one really long one. i don't really see the benefit of not having to wait the two seconds it takes to pick a knife back up.

tim
    I disagree with that one. I have used the rigs and while I don't like them for actual use, for training I have found them to save time. Also, it allows you to maintain flow during a drill and not have to stop to pick up training blades. For example, there are multiple drills which I am sure you know several that allow for opportunities to disarm or counter in multiple places in the drill. When wearing a rig, I can maintain the flow of one drill and get four or five disarms or limb destructions worked in with no break. It also forces me to pay attention as I never know where the next blade is coming from.

Overall, I hate the darn things but there are moments when they do have their purpose. I have worked the drills kneeling so that you don't have to chase the darn blades all over as well but that is not perfect either as it doesn't allow you to work on your footwork.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast