Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 2:10am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FMA LARPers?

I have something I've been wondering about in my head for a while that I want to ask on here. I know this will be very a sensitive issue, which is why I never asked it anywhere else, but this IS supposed to be a no bullshit forum... I avoid mentioning styles and names for that reason. If it is in the wrong section, toss it to the YMAS forum...

Do you consider the following "types" LARPers in the Filipino Martial arts?

-Civilian Instructors consistently rocking psuedo-military gear (Berets, boots, SWAT/Combat Fatigues, Webbing,) in promotional photos because they may -possibly- have instructed a tactical program?

-"Super Kit" Civilian FMA Instructors that put Batman to shame with twenty knives, batons, kerambits, ropes, and grappling hooks dangling from thier utility belts?

-North American white guys or Filipino Catholics wearing the Sarong or red and black of the Mindanao freedom fighters?
    (I know this one is more of a Silat thing, and I understand a little more than the others, as symbolic recognition and homage, but I also find use of these Moro uniforms ironic seeing that the modern M.I.L.F. have been active for 30 years and Abu Sayyaf are on everyone's hit list.):jihad1:

I know these questions may raise a shitstorm...they arose from one of my guys having a conversation with a dude at the Correctional where he works about Uniforms in our gym. When he said that "uniforms' were not our thing, but guys commonly wore black shirts and camo shorts, his buddy said "Ohh, you are one of THOSE gyms...(?)" Someone also once told me that an old system I trained in was considered by some authorities a "Paramilitary Cult".

We now train in what I call a "backyard" style, little formality -wear your street clothes if that's what you plan on fighting in- most guys just wear some loose stuff they can sweat in. We avoid the LEO/Paramilitary vibe as much as possible, but Camouflage shorts and T-shirts are common. We deploy our (few) tools from standard carry, without any super duper kit belts or anything.

Is that still a stereotype I don't know about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:31am

Style: JKD/Kali/Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -"Super Kit" Civilian FMA Instructors that put Batman to shame with twenty knives, batons, kerambits, ropes, and grappling hooks dangling from thier utility belts?

I always find this one a little funny . If you have one of these set-ups what happens when a cop stops you for something simple like rolloing though a stop sign and sees you have 12 knives , a batons etc?

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:41am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pintados View Post
    -Civilian Instructors consistently rocking psuedo-military gear (Berets, boots, SWAT/Combat Fatigues, Webbing,) in promotional photos because they may -possibly- have instructed a tactical program?
    I can't stand anybody wearing that jazz, unless they're actually military people, doing military things. And even if they are, unless the class/seminar has direct bearing on military/LEO service, there's no reason why they should be wearing that gear.

It's like seeing military personnel wearing a dress uniform on a game show - yeah, Wheel of Fortune is really bringing more repute to that Marines uniform.

My problem with that type is two-fold:
    -there's that "biggest toy" prestige - "what's that? Oh, that's just the newest training karambit available. I estimate I've spent [insert ludicrous amount of money] on all of this training gear, but proper equipment is important, don't you think?"
    - does anybody actually carry a knife in even a tenth of those various locations available on one of those rigs? That's the only reason that's been floated past me that has any possible credibility. Otherwise, you're just loading yourself down with training knives to show just how much of a badass you are (qv. Tapout shirt).

-North American white guys or Filipino Catholics wearing the Sarong or red and black of the Mindanao freedom fighters? (I know this one is more of a Silat thing
    I'm thinking most North American white guys would have no idea of the symbolism behind it. The guy in charge of things says "we wear sarong in class" and you're pretty much obligated to go ahead with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:48am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its LARPing alright but they do sell. If people aren't buying, we won't even notice that they exist.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't sweat BDU's and combat boots, nor do I care if a civilian thinks he is a military/police trainer or is trying to be, and dresses the part. I care more about what they teach. I wear BDU's because they are cheap and somewhat durable and I like the side pockets.

The vest and sarong I find silly when I see them here in the States. I don't think it is LARPing though if it is part of a legit tradition and used on occasion to remind people where the system comes from, even if they are not Moro freedom fighters. If a TKD instructor has added in sticks from a few dvd's he owns and makes people wear vests, that is LARPing.

Super kit guy is kinda funny but I have seen people with loaded down belts in public, though not with so many knives. It's a hobby.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:07am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulogod View Post
    Its LARPing alright but they do sell. If people aren't buying, we won't even notice that they exist.
    Very good point. Like functional Ninjas. :jihad::ninja2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:20am

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree on the "super kit" guys. That is one of my issues with the Sayoc group. I know you want to avoid calling out systems but everyone who has been in FMA for longer than 6 months knows who you are talking about anyways so what the heck? The material that the Sayoc group teaches is great from what I have seen at seminars and the like, but I don't get the rig. You are required to purchase one in order to train in the system on a regular basis. Perhaps they have a reason for it that I am unaware of. I should mention that everyone I have meet in the Sayoc group has been a great guy and has treated me well.

As for the "military" dress, this is less of an issue to me. Tuhon Gaje wears a beret and most of the people in the PT-GO group headed by Tim Waid wear BDU pants when they train. Considering that PTK is widely used in military circles and that training that population has been a major focus of PTK in recent years, I don't have too much of an issue with that. It is also important to remember that many of the FMA systems that are prominent now and the people who are heading them up, (or recently deceased masters) cut their teeth as fighters prior to and during WWII. It is only natural to me that some of them would want to hang on to that idea.

As for the wearing of the Sarong or other culturally specific clothing, I have no problem with this whatsoever. Is it any different than some white guy in America studying Karate while wearing a dogi? Every system and school has its own implied or mandatory dress code. Silat schools often use the Sarong in their movements so it is quite natural in my view to have them on their person. Its part of the heritage of the system.

I think it is also important to note that the groups that I am aware of that do these things noted above go out of their way to test their skills in a live setting. The Sayoc group with their rigs, PTK Global with their beret and BDU pants, and Bahad Zu'bu and their clothing choices ALL do full contact fighting with sticks, empty hand, and training blades. They might be LARPing a bit though other than the rigs, I really don't think so, but they also train and test hard.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 4/12/2010 10:32am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 12:48pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not necessarily. I do know civilizans who wear military boots, cammo pants or backpacks just because they like it, not because they want to pose as DEADLY FIGHTERS. But I agree with you that a civilian should think twice before wearing that even if he actually has anything to do with the military.

One hundred percent agreed on that.

-North American white guys or Filipino Catholics wearing the Sarong or red and black of the Mindanao freedom fighters?

Why not? I would never wear a sarong but I don't understand why someone's religion should interfere with the class uniform. Actually I don't like the idea of a class uniform that is a costume - anything more than a shirt and pants, maybe a jacket for instructors. Our uniform doesn't even have the Philippines flag, but I understand instructors wanting to reproduce the clothing of the country the art was originated from. Aikidokas and Kendokas wear hakamas, right? Muay Thai fighters wear kruangs and foreigner capoeiristas are expected to play the berimbau, right?

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 2:32pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the white guy (or non Indo/malay etc...) wearing sarong. Its part of uniform/dress, and culture so no its not larping, plus you are usually given the meaning/reasoning behind it.

As far as being super tacticle man, your getting into Phil Elmore territory, this also applies to the guns and ammo crowd
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 2:57pm

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the rig's are just ridiculous on every level. The rest I can understand!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast