Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Suggestions Please?

Hi, im new to the forum. Im a 1st Degree Black Belt in Kempo Karate. Ive been training for nearly 6 years. Anyways in the fall i will be heading off to college (probably boston). So i was wondering if anyone had some advise on some good dojo's in the area (the school is MassArt). I'd like to keep my Kempo up to peak when im at school. I also wouldn't mind mixing my style, or trying another one. It needs to be full-contact (I think you guys call it Hard-contact, but idk how you can judge hard unless youve been through multiple styles. How can I tell if my style is "hard" or not). Also practicality is another need for me. My style is more of Kajukenbo (from what i can compare) because we mix in alot of practical kungfu and jujitsu elements. Also Muay Thai intrests me but ive never officially trained in it (good mix or not?). So if you have any suggestions id really appreciate some. Ask me any questions that will help you.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a cool San Shou School in the area taught by this douche bag.

Style
    Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol some duche bag. Full contact though? Also if i look for a dojo i wanna find someone who can respect me for my 6 years of kempo and not fuk my style, improvements are what im after, (like a muay thai knee, or jujitsu grapples) im gonna check this tomorrow morning but if you have any advice shoot it here and ill read it in the morning. Discussss

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously a good school out there give me a moment: (The douchebag I'm talking about kicked the crap out of me during a competition.)

http://www.marvinperry.org/

Style
    Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sry 1 more post b4 i go (gotta get up early) lol. Do you think Muay Thai would be a good combination with Kempo? would something else be better?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't hurt.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey bob,

I train with the aformentioned douchebag. The style is called SanDa (or San Shou, Or Draka). This is a form of Chinese/Russian kickboxing similar to Muaythai, but with more throws. The gym fields one of the top (if not the top) San Shou teams in the country. Here's one of our guys (Al Pope, in purple trunks) in action.

If this style appeals to you, PM me when you have a few more posts and gain that functionality. I would be happy to show you around. I know all the gyms in town and would be glad to help you find the right place.

YouTube- Sanshou Sanda kung fu

As for Omega's experience with our head coach. I would never fight Marvin in a million years, and Omega get more respect from me for mixing it up with him, than for any of the other very impressive accomplishments on his record.

Props O.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those grapples are really quite impressive. The speed looks unmatchable. The only thing im seeing that makes me cringe is those hook punches. In my form of Kempo we treat punches in that kind of JKD sense where you could do it in half the time with a straight punch. I no alot of other styles use Hook, but they just seem so ineffective to me because you lose so much power in the throw. My only other comment is that the video you showed looks like a very practical style, but you do training outside the competition correct? My Gyms workout consists of training bag work, combinations, (similar to counters and such) and forms. I also realize that alot of newer styles are staying away from forms and sometimes even combinations and work stictly bagwork and competition training.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kajukenbo schools in Hawaii use hooks. I'm big and I experienced getting nailed with counter punch hooks from smaller guys.

And watch some boxer pad training vids (youtube?); good coaches are training combos in a fast live manner, one on one, but you can be sure that they were first taught in the good old slow step by step way. The slow "now put the foot six inches closer as you drop your weight and turn, keeping your right guard up" type training is basic to everything.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 4/12/2010 9:38am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya but from my point of view the only place your hitting with hooks are the head and the ribs. With so much forward momentum you let them slide off and return their open face with a straight. If your dumb enough to go down for a hook at the ribs you are completely open. Thats the basic philosophy at my school, the only "hooked" stikes we throw are elbows and "ridge-hands" (hope im not the only one who calls it that) but they are all for countering open areas like you said.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last