Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trad CMA is to San Shou as Trad Karate is to ABC Wide World of Sports presents: Full Contact Karate.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Bullshido member Ming Loyalist runs (ran?) a Hung Gar shchool specializing in preparing fighters for San Shou / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai competition
    uhh, sort of.

i have a meeting right now but will be back in a couple of hours to clarify this.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, so 1st, to answer the OP's question: just because a hung gar school claims to teach san shou or sanda doesn't mean that they are any good at that stuff (although it's a good sign.) you are going to want to see how often they compete, and at what level. also you want to know if they run separate sanda classes, and/or offer specific training for those students who want to compete in ring fights or lei tai fights.

as to my situation, war wheel was a little off in his description of it, so i feel that i need to clarify, despite the answer not being particularly relevant to the OP's post.

1) i trained under a sifu who competed in full contact fights, in a kwoon that developed students proficient in all aspects of TCMA (self defense, sport fighting, forms, chi kung, and lion dance.) not everyone was expected to be good at everything, but the school as a whole was very well rounded.

2) i co-founded a branch of that school with the same goals, and the same variety of training, however, my personal focus as both a coach and practitioner has been on the sport fighting elements, although i do practice all the above elements of TCMA. my school had to close when my partner moved out of NYC, but my teacher's school still exists (although he is no longer living in NYC.) i used to, but no longer run any sanda classes there, as i have taken a break to study judo full time to make myself a better sanda coach.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    2) i co-founded a branch of that school with the same goals, and the same variety of training, however, my personal focus as both a coach and practitioner has been on the sport fighting elements, although i do practice all the above elements of TCMA. my school had to close when my partner moved out of NYC, but my teacher's school still exists (although he is no longer living in NYC.) i used to, but no longer run any sanda classes there, as i have taken a break to study judo full time to make myself a better sanda coach.
    Damn. Yeah for Judo boo for a good CMA school being closed.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah that was my initial reaction too until this set in:
    ...to make myself a better sanda coach.
    Takes integrity and humility to do that and i applaud it.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Always depends upon the school but I went to a Hung Gar School when I was doing kickboxing and I went undefeated as a professional kickboxer.
    Yeah but any fool can win a kickboxing match with a spear.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 1:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kitoshakai/San Shou?

San Shou is a great style to learn for competition in mixed martial arts from what i've been told. Cung Le is a PERFECT example. I'm from the northeast and there aren't that many San Shou practitioners around here and i want to learn.
    I was watching a youtube video and noticed that there were four guys utilizing the San Shou style in the cage, which is what i want to learn. Two out of the four men fighting are from the northeast, but no state was mentioned. Maybe if I can get ahold of the fighters, I can find out how I can learn to use it in the cage. One guys name is Tim Kerr and the other one is Joe Feldman. Although Feldman's background is Kitoshakai/San Shou...what does Kitoshakai have to do with San Shou?? All these names get me sooo confused!

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 3:58am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mate, San Shou is the competition, not the style.

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 6:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More San Shou

:qright2:It was interesting to watch feldman and kerr duke it out under san shou rules. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks just like any other mma fight, except their kicks are a lot more showy ala Tae Kwon Do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 6:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpeligrino View Post
    :qright2:It was interesting to watch feldman and kerr duke it out under san shou rules. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks just like any other mma fight, except their kicks are a lot more showy ala Tae Kwon Do.
    You know like wrestling, sambo, BJJ, submission wrestling all look similar unless you have trained them.

Before you get technical, many of the techniques from positioning to pins and takedowns are very similar. There are certain things not allowed from competition to competition.

You know like everyone that screams BJJ at any grappling tournament. We have videos of Sambo players vs BJJ players and until the heel hook or toe hold appears everyone thinks it is BJJ.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast