Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Difference between Hung Gar and San Shou?

So, I found this chinese martial arts place at gingwu.com and they teach San Shou. However, the instructor is a hung gar martial artist. Whats the difference, is he qualified to teach San shou? Just don't wanna waste my time or money.

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    So, I found this chinese martial arts place at gingwu.com and they teach San Shou. However, the instructor is a hung gar martial artist. Whats the difference, is he qualified to teach San shou? Just don't wanna waste my time or money.

Here's the wikipedia link regarding Sanshou http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanshou. There's not really much to say imo. The link pretty much covers what Sanshou is. If you have more specific questions after reading the link feel free to ask.

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Shou is a rule set. Hung gar is a style or system.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations: you're officially that guy (you are a guy right?). Thanks for asking but the simplest answer is San shou is a type of competition not a style. Like kickboxing and mma. Some will teach that rule set specifically and try to pass it off as an art but that's like teaching you to drive and then say you can race cars. Not exactly the same thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, read through the article, doesn't say anything about hung gar. It is what san shou is, composed of different kung fu martial arts. Seems like a style to me when you throw in everything.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Congratulations: you're officially that guy (you are a guy right?). Thanks for asking but the simplest answer is San shou is a type of competition not a style. Like kickboxing and mma. Some will teach that rule set specifically and try to pass it off as an art but that's like teaching you to drive and then say you can race cars. Not exactly the same thing.

Aw, that just makes me feel awkward now. I feel silly. So I should be fine though right? Then is hung gar effective?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:09pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Always depends upon the school but I went to a Hung Gar School when I was doing kickboxing and I went undefeated as a professional kickboxer.

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    Aw, that just makes me feel awkward now. I feel silly. So I should be fine though right? Then is hung gar effective?
    It's not as much about the style rather about how they train. This isn't to say that all styles are equal. However, any style that focuses on full contact sparring or alive training (a term used to describe training against a fully resisting opponent) is much better than a system that only does no contact, points, or no sparring at all. To reiterate and explain my above comment, certain styles are more likely to produce a better fighter than another type of style.

If they offer alive full contact sparring, heavy work outs, and separating the flashy stuff from the effective stuff, it might be worth checking out. This is just my advice and opinion, I am not in anyway an expert. In fact, I'm a newbie who does a lot of browsing. To me the school in question doesn't sound bad but again I'm a newbie so you might want to wait for more advice.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshido member Ming Loyalist runs (ran?) a Hung Gar shchool specializing in preparing fighters for San Shou / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai competition
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 4:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    dude you got it wrong, sanshou is the racing and the hung gar is the driving.

it'd be like teaching you to drive on a racetrack (compete) and then expecting you to be able to drive on the road (which you can't do without understanding the laws)
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast