Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In short, you can reprint the e-mail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:24pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still going to play it safe and keep the emails off of here.

Basically, the Chief of both schools' (UC-IR and Colorado Mines) security said they never heard of him or any program he instructed on their respective campus. While this doesn't necessarily prove his claims are false, you can fill in the blanks with whatever you want.

If you don't believe me, here is the contact information for the people I was in touch with:

For Colorado Mines:
    Keith.Turney@is.mines.edu
    Keith A. Turney, Chief of Police

Director - Department of Public Safety

For UC-IR:
    Paul Henisey
    Chief of Police
    UC Irvine Police Department
    phenisey@uci.edu

They have no reason to lie about this. (Not that I think anyone is accusing me of lying, just making sure my claim is falsifiable).

**EDIT** Also, upon paying closer attention his claim is that he was an instructor for the department, not the head. Still, there would likely be some type of proof, be it an old schedule, an officer who remembers being trained by him, or some other type of paperwork lying around somewhere to prove this claim.
    Last edited by Lysol; 4/13/2010 4:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't heard back from any emails that I sent out :-( I contacted FSU, Kid Safe 911, The National Ass for Missing Children (no match came up for this, so contacted a similar org) and The National Association for Battered Women (Danish Organization).

In addition I sent an email to the National Archives asking if there was a master list of Presidential Award recipients and if there was a list of Homeland Security Committee Members. Carolyn Gilliam, Reference Librarian National Archives, wrote to me and told me she has passed along the name Charles/ Chuck F. Cory Jr to Archives Library and Information Center. I assume if there are any hits, she will contact me. She said there was no "master list" or any way to verify what award he may have gotten without knowing more about it, i.e. what awards. Didn't sound too promising without knowing more specifics.

I did this to try and verify his numerous presidential awards and involvement with homeland security.

I wonder what sort of background check, if any, the History Channel did on him when they aired his piece.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlJock View Post
    I haven't heard back from any emails that I sent out :-( I contacted FSU, Kid Safe 911, The National Ass for Missing Children (no match came up for this, so contacted a similar org) and The National Association for Battered Women (Danish Organization).

In addition I sent an email to the National Archives asking if there was a master list of Presidential Award recipients and if there was a list of Homeland Security Committee Members. Carolyn Gilliam, Reference Librarian National Archives, wrote to me and told me she has passed along the name Charles/ Chuck F. Cory Jr to Archives Library and Information Center. I assume if there are any hits, she will contact me. She said there was no "master list" or any way to verify what award he may have gotten without knowing more about it, i.e. what awards. Didn't sound too promising without knowing more specifics.

I did this to try and verify his numerous presidential awards and involvement with homeland security.
    Give it more time. For the library stuff, there are a ton of documents, it'll take a while to find relevant ones (assuming they exist). Did you contact FSU's security directly, or did you contact FSU? If the latter, you'll probably wait a little while as they forward the email to the proper office, then to the proper person, then while the proper person asks around...you get the point. For what it's worth, he's 0-2 so far with his "I TRAINED _____'s SECURITY!" thing.

Likewise, his claims about Homeland Security may be unfalsifiable, as they may not just disclose this info. Still, we can use what we learn from other sources to draw our own conclusions about those claims.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlJock View Post
    I wonder what sort of background check, if any, the History Channel did on him when they aired his piece.
    Probably not much, other than "Okay, good, the guy has a black belt". Experts in history aren't always experts in martial arts, so if a claim is good enough to fool the average consumer, it'll probably fool them, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    Give it more time. For the library stuff, there are a ton of documents, it'll take a while to find relevant ones (assuming they exist). Did you contact FSU's security directly, or did you contact FSU? If the latter, you'll probably wait a little while as they forward the email to the proper office, then to the proper person, then while the proper person asks around...you get the point. For what it's worth, he's 0-2 so far with his "I TRAINED _____'s SECURITY!" thing.

Likewise, his claims about Homeland Security may be unfalsifiable, as they may not just disclose this info. Still, we can use what we learn from other sources to draw our own conclusions about those claims.
    I contacted FSU Campus Security. I'll send another one from my college address, as I know sometimes the junk filters IT uses on campus are brutal. The other orgs, they probably get a ton of mail, so I'll be patient.

I was hoping there were master lists for the other stuff. Surely someone, somewhere must have the paperwork. Oh wait...it's the government, lol.

I also sent an email to CPS in California-just for some guidance. I"m hoping they can route me to the proper regulatory body, if one exists. He claims to teach MA to kids with Autistic and related disorders, and I'm guessing he should have some sort of certification or something to be qualified to teach MA to a child with those disorders. I may be completely wrong however, lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 10:23am

Style: muay thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I came up with nothing new on my end. I am going to review his claims a little closer and see if I can't verify them through a few other sources.

In the attempt to not duplicate work, let's see what is being researched:

1. FSU (via e-mail)
    2. UC-Irvine (Via e-mail)
    3. Colorado School of Mines (via e-mail)
    4. Abused women/children angle (though the exact groups don't seem to exist)

Did I miss anything?

I am going to start running down the FBI/LE/Military angle.

Where we may be able to do more research:

1. Did we contact him? Do we know through which federation/etc he received his BB in TKD?
    2. Anyone contact MAP about getting some help on the Budikan ranking?
    3.Any contact him to verify any kind of lineage for his BJJ BB?

EDIT:

Sent off an e-mail to my local FBI office to get the ball rolling (either to find out if they can verify/disavow the claim or point to me who can). If I get anything back, I will update everyone here.
    Last edited by bigskymma; 4/14/2010 10:44am at . Reason: Edit: Added ?'s / contacted FBI

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps another email should be sent to FSU though. If they keep hearing about the guy, they'll have to say something about him. And perhaps we haven't heard anything from the abused women/children angle because, you know, they might be completely made up organizations.

When I emailed UCI and CsoM, I told them I was resume checking (No, I didn't lie and say it was for work, I just said I was checking into his claims), and sent a link to the page making the claims. They're more likely to take our questions seriously if they see that he's publishing that he has ties to them.

As for inviting Cory to this thread, why not? If he has info that he's willing to share to make this process easier, then he should be made aware that we're seeking this info.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:59pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inviting Cory is a good idea but I think it would be better to wait and see if we actually find some information first. Pretty much all we are looking at is speculation at this point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sent off a simple email to Ninjutsu.com inquiring about his rank. He is listed on their site as having a Bujinkan in Irvine. This is the reply I got.

We have sent this off to someone that might be able to assist. However, why
    do you ask? Are you planning on training at his dojo? If so, ask him to see
    certification, any instructor only honors the fact that a potential student
    is investigating who they will train with. This is a smart thing, not an
    insult. There is a clip on the history channel of him under modern marvels
    and he does have a patch that ranks high, but we here in the office are not
    completely familiar with the color of the patch and what it would mean.
    Again, perhaps an instructor here will give us the information to get this
    to you. Remember just ask and he will let you know, or wait until you find
    out from us. Either way he probably is legit as no one would go publicly on
    TV and pretend they are a part of the Bujinkan and get away with it if they
    were not.

Have a wonderful day
    Bushindo

NinjutsuStore.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odd email. The organization is aware that Judo-Lie, Snake Blocker, and countless other frauds have been featured on television, right? Not that I'm saying his rank is fraud; we don't have proof either way at this point. I'm just pointing that out for the lurkers who may be reading this.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast