Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NONE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Yeah, that fifth round was sure embarrassing to Maia, what with the way Silva lost the striking exchanges, got scolded by the ref, and then had to apologize for the fight.
    You seem quite angry. A big Maia fan? Do you think Maia is just as good a fighter as Anderson? In what way is he superior? If so, did he display his superiority at any time during the fight?

Keep in mind that in order to actually be a superior ground fighter you actually have to be capable of taking the fight to the ground. Otherwise you have to hope your opponent will lay down for you or perhaps be willing to start the fight with the two of you on your knees.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    "Nuthugging" is an interesting term. Not in my vocabulary but I imagine a phrase you use frequently. lol I am not a particularly big fan of AS, if that is what you mean. I simply respect his talent.

In a fight between AS an GSP, I see Anderson winning by KO within two rounds.
    Explain to me why you are so confident the fight would go this way.

Please try to leave your attraction to Silva out of it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 12:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You seem quite angry. A big Maia fan?
    ****, no. Maia got KO'd in twenty-one seconds by Nate Marquardt. Silva not only couldn't put him away, he got worse as the fight went on.

In what way is he superior? If so, did he display his superiority at any time during the fight?
    By my scorecard, he won the fifth round. He also led the fight in terms of not being scolded by the ref, not apologizing afterwards, and not getting booed by the people who paid to watch him fight.

Did you even watch the fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 8:27am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GSP / Silva - Does anyone really believe that GSP doesn't have a better chance to take this to the ground than Maia did? Seriously.

Silva has superior striking. Agreed. But Maia was completely unprepared to take this fight to the ground. He was prepared to be there, but not to get there, and Silva was uninterested in engaging, which made that even less likely to occur.

Regardless of who moves up or down, this would be an interesting fight, and by no means a forgone conclusion.

The way to bring them together is the "double weigh in" provision - with that, I don't think it matters as much if this is catchweight or Silva moves down. I'm not sure GSP moving up makes as much sense, except that it opens a whole lot of other interesting fights for him beyond Silva (should he choose to stay up there).

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 8:36am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GSP couldnt even do **** to purple belt Dan Hardy on the ground, yet according to his nuthuggers he is somehow meant to miraculously tear through high level black belt Silva there. IF the fight goes to the ground GSP will be eating elbows possibly even submitted.

If olympic wrestler Dan Henderson who usually fights two weight classes above GSP and is much tougher couldnt keep Silva on the ground and finish him then how is GSP, who is unable to finish a guy ranked somewhere between 10-15 in the weightclass supposed to do it?

GSP might be able to get it down once or twice but he will end up getting knocked out sooner or later in if this fight does happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    GSP couldnt even do **** to purple belt Dan Hardy on the ground
    I don't think it's nuthugging to say this would be an interesting fight.

What did GSP do to black belt BJ on the ground? I'm not saying he would do that to Silva by any stretch, but I am saying that trotting that out as way of predicting the outcome is a bit lame.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 9:42am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJ Penn is a lightweight that was fighting as a fat WW. Anderson Silva is pretty much a natural LHW that cuts down to middleweight. Slight difference...

Im saying that if GSP takes Silva down, he will probably be in bigger trouble than Silva. Elbows from the bottom FTW

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 10:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    GSP couldnt even do **** to purple belt Dan Hardy on the ground
    Except for absolutely dominate him to the tune of two 10-8 rounds.

He made minor, fixable technical mistakes with his armbar and kimura, and waited too long for the leg lock. Everything else was textbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva has fought as low as 167 in the past. It's been a long time, mind you.

I agree - Penn fattened up to move up, and that was part of the issue. I think GSP knows that too and that's why he wants time to actually build muscle to get there.

I do think the double weigh in makes the difference on this and pretty much any catchweight bout. It's just too easy for the bigger man to be substantially bigger by fight time under the standard rules.

Let's go at this another way - even if you are sure that Silva would win, do you see this being a more or less competitive fight than his remaining competition at MW, or even at 205? I suppose Rua ...
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast