I thought the Pirates killed all the Ninjas
    Reality did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:40am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I genuinely think its a shame that many of the western combat traditions are pretty much lost. We still have fencing, pankration, boxing, and wrestling. What about how to use a heavy sword and shield? How about learning the martial traditions of the nobility in the European world and the British Isles? How about learning how the Knights Templar trained to kill? Nothing is wrong with LARPing if you admit that's what your doing. But personally I'd rather LARP with historic accuracy.

As for Spartan Academy this is what I found when I googled it: http://www.spartanacademy.com/main/index.htm
    This is in Florida, but if it were near me I would have to sign up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsdnoob View Post
    I thought the Pirates killed all the Ninjas
    From what I can recall of what I've heard when people are being serious about it, Ninja became obsolete during a period of peace and since it was 1) secretive because it was considered dishonourable, and 2) there was no application for it anymore, it ceased to be taught or carried on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:52am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Hey, I genuinely think its a shame that many of the western combat traditions are pretty much lost. We still have fencing, pankration, boxing, and wrestling. What about how to use a heavy sword and shield? How about learning the martial traditions of the nobility in the European world and the British Isles? How about learning how the Knights Templar trained to kill? Nothing is wrong with LARPing if you admit that's what your doing. But personally I'd rather LARP with historic accuracy.

As for Spartan Academy this is what I found when I googled it: http://www.spartanacademy.com/main/index.htm
    Agree with all of that. Templar LARPing is much sexier than ninja LARPing, and if a pankration school was located even remotely near me I would sign up in a heartbeat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the itch for Templar Larping since I watched the movie "Kingdom of Heaven". Liked it so much I bought both the theatrical version and director's cut. But I'd be more interested in learning how to fight with medieval weapons than all out LARPing.

Speaking of LARPing, anyone heard about the movie "The Great Hunt" which is coming out? It's about a non-Larper who enters the world of Larping because he is in love with a girl who's being seduced by a LARPer.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post

dude we have a forum for people like you. check it out.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:42pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here i was all ready with my anti-ninjer rant and jokes that i think we should lobby to have ninjitsu declared a "mental disease or defect" and i find out hes training in two arts that are vastly more likely than not to be training with proper methodology approaching an art that is the least possible likely art to ever train with any proper training methodology (although because i haven't undertaken the impossible task of looking at every single ninjitsu dojo or practitioner, i can't say none).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    here i was all ready with my anti-ninjer rant and jokes that i think we should lobby to have ninjitsu declared a "mental disease or defect" and i find out hes training in two arts that are vastly more likely than not to be training with proper methodology approaching an art that is the least possible likely art to ever train with any proper training methodology (although because i haven't undertaken the impossible task of looking at every single ninjitsu dojo or practitioner, i can't say none).
    Hey, when I did ninjutsu, there were people in my dojo who also did kickboxing and judo. I think one of them managed to convince my teacher to up the physical training a bit too.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345