Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 2:29am

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How should i save someone from becoming a ninjer?

So i recently signed up at a new gym and i met a fellow newbie in my BJJ and kickboxing classes. Seemed like a cool guy, so i asked him why he wished to do these martial arts? he replied that it was for funsies and that he was always interested in martial arts but what he really wanted to get into was Ninjutsu. He said he found some classes that were "free" in Santa Clara, California.

So during this conversation, this little alarm went off in my head cuz honestly im pretty damn skeptical about ninjas and solid ninja training in this day and age. I just kinda smiled and humored him by asking him more questions.

My question for ya'll:
    He seems like a nice guy so how do i alert/warn him about the possible false instruction he may receive from this location without hurting his feelings or coming off as a complete asshole?

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 2:43am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like a self-remedying problem. If he likes mixing it up with folks, then he'll probably prefer his BJJ and kickboxing class to the usual ninja waddling about his free class will likely involve.

If he likes dressing up in funny outfits (funnier than a gi anyway) and collecting unusual weapons, well nothing you will say can stop that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 2:48am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post
    So i recently signed up at a new gym and i met a fellow newbie in my BJJ and kickboxing classes. Seemed like a cool guy, so i asked him why he wished to do these martial arts? he replied that it was for funsies and that he was always interested in martial arts but what he really wanted to get into was Ninjutsu. He said he found some classes that were "free" in Santa Clara, California.

So during this conversation, this little alarm went off in my head cuz honestly im pretty damn skeptical about ninjas and solid ninja training in this day and age. I just kinda smiled and humored him by asking him more questions.

My question for ya'll:
    He seems like a nice guy so how do i alert/warn him about the possible false instruction he may receive from this location without hurting his feelings or coming off as a complete asshole?
    Alarm bells, maybe, over FREE classes.

Solid ninjer instruction also, hard to come by. Anyone associated with Stephen Hayes, Richard Van Donk, Choson Ninja, etc. should be taken with a 55 pound bag of salt. Pretty much anyone that pushes the ninja angle.

The webpage has links to Jack Hoban, so it's probably OK. But I saw Van Donk's name also.

If he's already taking BJJ and wrestling he will probably tire of ninja wannabes anyway. What exactly is your concern?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 4:42am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    That sounds like a self-remedying problem. If he likes mixing it up with folks, then he'll probably prefer his BJJ and kickboxing class to the usual ninja waddling about his free class will likely involve.

If he likes dressing up in funny outfits (funnier than a gi anyway) and collecting unusual weapons, well nothing you will say can stop that.
    This. Once he sees how wacky modern ninjitsu is, he'll either leave or realize that he's too wacky for real martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assault him in the dark and he will realize Ninjutsu doesn't work.

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 8:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer is to always keep a cap gun on hand while hanging out with him, in your gi top while rolling, etc. and shoot him every single time he says some crazy **** about what ninjers are capable of (oh and you just wait he will).

My best friend back home is a ninjer. I've learned it's more about you who will have to learn how to cope having a friend with disabilities than what you can do to save him because there is no cure for ninjerism. It depends on how far along he is into his condition. If they've gotten him to run through the woods with wooden weapons it's already too late.
    Last edited by maofas; 4/11/2010 8:44am at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post

My question for ya'll:
    Go with him to the free class under the guise of "seeing how funsies it is".

If it has some worth, realize your buddy can make that decision for himself.

It is has no worth, bag on it at every chance and opportunity.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:35am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no world in which you should not go with him to the free classes.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    There is no world in which you should not go with him to the free classes.
    Quoted for emphasis.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, if you are a nervous wallflower, Johnny, Joe and I will go along with your for "moral support"
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast