Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 9:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Enshin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bakido Ymas thread

Yeah, I know way to bring up an old thread. But I have been researching the web about the art I practiced for 11 years, just to see what others had to say. I'll tell you what, it did not START as a McDojo. I trained there year round and it did help me boost my confidence and my abilities. I made some good friends too. But I did notice over the years that it went from being a solid school of instruction to slowly start to churn out belts for profit. Having instructed and worked there for a number of years, building student/teacher/friend/mentor relationships with many people, I can honestly say I loved what I did, but I still noticed the gradual decline. It DOES have a good after-school program, but that's what I discovered. It turned into an after-school program, and now the reputation and art suffers because of it. Do I think my abilities are sub-par? No, because I studied them diligently and worked twice as hard as some of my peers. There is alot to be learned at SAK, and the techniques ARE effective, tried and true. So I'm not going to argue against the fact that yes, it hands a belt to anyone that walks in, including black belts. That doesn't mean the Art is to blame, but the practitioners. I still believe in my Bakido, it just hurts to see what the school has been reduced to. I have a 5th degree Black belt from there, but I don't feel that its a status rank for saying "Look at me", but just a level of knowledge. I'm thrilled to introduce myself as a White Belt in Enshin Karate. Anyways, long rant cut short, don't hate the Art, it is practical and useful and legitimate, you just have to practice and work at it harder than they require you to for it to be properly effective.

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 11:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Enshin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

From there...2

Having looked through more of these forums, I really do have to append my earlier statement. Bakido is a good art to learn Self Defense. Not to kick the crap out of the other guy or win a cage fight, but to remove yourself from a dangerous situation. And we tell people that when they come in. If you don't like what we do, take something else. We don't say anything like our system is better than yours or even worse, that we are just better than you because we have a higher rank. That's not what we're about. And no, we did NOT cite the karate kid as a reference. Read the other post about Bakido. The OP was referring to the fact that Martial Arts should be about self discipline and respect, the same way that Mr. Miyagi said it should be, not that the Karate Kid was a technical basis for teaching. That's our belief system, not teaching and technical system.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 12:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I kind of thought you had an agenda for raising a dead thread. Now, " Having looked through more of these forums," an art you said has gone downhill is great for self defense.

Also, I'm going to point something out with out being an ass.

Past Tense:
    Having instructed and worked there for a number of years, building student/teacher/friend/mentor relationships with many people, I can honestly say I loved what I did, but I still noticed the gradual decline. I still believe in my Bakido, it just hurts to see what the school has been reduced to.
    Present Tense:
    . And we tell people that when they come in. If you don't like what we do, take something else. We don't say anything like our system is better than yours or even worse, that we are just better than you because we have a higher rank.
    Yes, I'm talking about the inference from your first post to the second.

Oh and it always better to post a legitimate Martial Art Instructior:
    the same way that Mr. Miyagi said it should be, not that the Karate Kid was a technical basis for teaching.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Morita

although in real life he did not know karate
    Yes, I know it is the message this is in MABS. Eventually this wil be removed and you can add something a little more relevant and without mixing tense.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF,
    you must have alot of free time today between this and the BMS thread.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 2:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posting in three threads is a lot of free time? **** I'm usually in 10 or more.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but these have been some long responses...or is it just a markov chain program?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 3:18pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are kidding right? Why do you think I'm made fun of for my quote block war posts?

These are light compared to what I normally do.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 3:44pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But a Markov chain generator to demolish this sort of thing would be pretty awesome.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 1:40pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 3:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF has an amazing memory, its creepy sometimes.
    also he has a very good eye for details.
    he should be in csi.
    i'd watch him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast