Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 12:05pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

One of the craziest links I've found lately...

I do still practice form and traditional training methods to grasp fundamentals in Kali/Arnis, but I'm pretty stoked to have found this forum, as a lot of the folks here seem to appreciate the same things in martial art as i do (primarily functionality under pressure)... I just wanted to share this video i stumbled across a couple days ago.

It really puts stick training into perspective for me. Aside from Master Pat O'Malley's stuff like the Black Eagle society clips, (those really earned my respect -for whatever that's worth..), this is one of my favorite videos online right now. At 8:09, it has the first Full Contact Stick example i've found on youtube. Maybe it will show folks why it doesn't happen all the time. Sure Jason Stanley is pretty much gassed, and the live contact is a "lesson" more than anything else, but it's still dope in my books.

I may be naive, but I'm not familiar with "Pakamut" as a system...but i have to comment that this GM Felix Roiles really seems to insist on having his guys UNDERSTAND what a stick fighting is supposed to be about.

Pakamut Instructors "Testing"

If anybody has the downlow on this system, can you maybe give some details?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no clue .

I know I would learn stick fighting from them tho .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 7:07pm

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So he failed?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 10:26pm

Style: Kyokushin/No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was bad ass

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 6:46pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting that Pat. Its a great video and it has been making the rounds for a while now. You bring up a good point in saying that maybe this will help people understand why it isn't done more. Training with resistance is good. Training with non-compliant partners is good. Fighting with non-padded sticks and minimal armor is good. Try to do it often and you will be in serious trouble. It is something that needs to be done once and a while to make sure you are keeping some reality in your game when it comes to stick but a little goes a long way.

There are too many honks on here that talk as if they never do any compliant work when they train. As if they do nothing but roll and spar and never work through techniques with someone letting them.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    There are too many honks on here that talk as if they never do any compliant work when they train.
    Will you link to those posts please ? If you are right that poster must be an idiot and be called out on it . I feel situation is more along the lines of "there are too many people who make stupid passive aggressive blubbering vagina style comments because others criticize common glaring weakness in styles and methods of teaching ."

As if they do nothing but roll and spar and never work through techniques with someone letting them.
    Compliant drilling is of course a very key and valid step in learning a technique. Much like cracking an egg to make meringue, it is one of the very first steps . If you stop at that stage you will never have anything more than a broken egg . If all you do you drill compliantly, you will be blind to the realities of the techniques you are being taught.

Each and every technique should be drilled compliantly , performed with proper gear at full speed against people in free form sparring and everything in between . The live practice is not "good" it is a necessary step to understand the limits of a technique or approach for yourself.

Otherwise you are just being a retard and wasting your time LARPing .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:27am

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post

Compliant drilling is of course a very key and valid step in learning a technique. Much like cracking an egg to make meringue, it is one of the very first steps . If you stop at that stage you will never have anything more than a broken egg . If all you do you drill compliantly, you will be blind to the realities of the techniques you are being taught.

Each and every technique should be drilled compliantly , performed with proper gear at full speed against people in free form sparring and everything in between . The live practice is not "good" it is a necessary step to understand the limits of a technique or approach for yourself.

Otherwise you are just being a retard and wasting your time LARPing .
    I agree with all of that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex PTK, currently boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gonna top that with this:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 1:36pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar View Post
    I'm gonna top that with this:
    Nice clip.

At about 1 min mark this exemplifies the issue I have with people thinking pressure points are the end all-be all. The guy in black shirt was getting a surpra scapular done to him with the stick and he just took it. Some people can't feel PP or just don't care.

On the first clip, we had a seminar with many TMA groups there and one of them taught similar training. It was a blast.

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 2:21pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    At about 1 min mark this exemplifies the issue I have with people thinking pressure points are the end all-be all. The guy in black shirt was getting a surpra scapular done to him with the stick and he just took it. Some people can't feel PP or just don't care.
    I didn't thing it was supra-scapular. Looked more like he was going for a fang choke (or "fan choke" as the Sayoc guys call it), but couldn't raise his arm high enough because it was trapped under his opponent's arm.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast