Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 11:10am

Style: scared punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do people actually use puter kepala throws or are they just for demos?

I actually wonder and have deep thoughts about this.

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** is a puta Keppler throw? Who uses them? Got any videos?

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 11:45am

Style: scared punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    What the **** is a puta Keppler throw? Who uses them? Got any videos?
    Well it's commonly taught in filipino and indonesian systems. while puter kepala is a vague term which means something like a circle throw where u pass the head underneath a limb (so can be catching a round kick to the waist and passing the head of the opponent underneath his leg) it usually is the one you see here at 3:38, the throw they show after they say "filipino panantukan" YouTube- Ron Balicki Demo

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 1:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some silat before I started jiujitsu. After a while in jiujitsu it crossed my mind, can I use this? I really wanted it to work, because it can be made to look pretty cool.

My experience was it had to be modified to work on a non-compliant opponent. They don't just spin for you when they're not cooperating. Worse still when you're on your knees and they have a broader base. The modifications are pretty severe and it starts to resemble my favorite neck crank sweep, or crucifix neck crank. But the actual neck cranks work better. So at that point, well, there's not much point at all.

It's a neat move, but I doubt the vast majority are going to be able to use it on noncompliant partners.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I learned that same goofy ass move back when I did CMA.
    I've done similar things which involve turning the guy over into a crucifix, but the version you see in the demo there is just more flashy silat nonsense.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 5:11pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ron Baliki is one of the Inosanto guys. Iv'e seen a couple of his videos, and alot seems really impractical under pressure. super "this will happen when I do this..." Puter Kapala as I learned it, meant "turning the skull". Modern Arnis also calls it a "rotary throw". The spin actually works when you drag backwards while pushing.

The Dumog/Pangamut we work with in our group actually does a similar style of puter as in the video, by dropping your elbow on the neck/head as a lever while lifting the arm. With a non-compliant opponent, I've accidentally done some shoulder - pectoral area injury. If the spin doesn't happen, the head hits the ground with your elbow and weight on top.

I've seen a good demo of Joseph Simonet demonstrating the difference between "seminar" and "classical" Puter. The major difference is that classical Silat doesn't use it as a throw, they just just yank the chin and back of the head (like a steering wheel or basketball) back and forth in a circular motion a few times. Not a throw at all. Now if he could only demonstrate it on someone other than his 110 lb girlfriend...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 10:32pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as my experience with it goes, its a flashy low-percentage move that only my teacher can pull off on a non-resisting opponent.

Not something I would use.

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 3:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's very a similar "throw" I know from Karate, but instead of ending with that weird turn-out motion, you wheel him over headfirst using his head & arm for leverage. It's a beautiful head-over-heels throw in demos with a partner who has good ukemi, but in sparring (because people take a step forward to regain their balance and not go head over heels) it becomes an ugly motion where you drag their face towards/into the floor instead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 3:30am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by original_witty View Post
    Well it's commonly taught in filipino and indonesian systems. while puter kepala is a vague term which means something like a circle throw where u pass the head underneath a limb (so can be catching a round kick to the waist and passing the head of the opponent underneath his leg) it usually is the one you see here at 3:38, the throw they show after they say "filipino panantukan" YouTube- Ron Balicki Demo

What martial art is that a seminar of? FMA in general?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 12:03pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosJesena View Post
    What martial art is that a seminar of? FMA in general?
    I think it's a blend of the Inosanto curriculum. Kali, then Panantukan, Maphilindo Silat, etc.. Balicki has produced DVDs on all of those. From what I've seen, aside from Rick Faye, the Maphilindo guys usually neglect that "without a knife, there is no Silat", and try to make Silat seem like this undisputed empty hand system. While I love the art, it changes drastically with a Kerambit in your hand.

I REALLY am not a fan of the Reverse Split Puter Kapala (under the arm around the back of the head) he does at 3:59, though the leg sweep may help it actually work.

I'd like to see how much if this he used competing in the ring.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast