Sponsored Links Spacer Image

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 10:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need help identifying Catch, Submission and Scientific Wrestling.

Hello everybody,

I'm from the mainland of Europe and we don't have a wrestling tradition like there excists one in the U.S.A.
    I know the difference between Greco-Roman and Freestyle and the concepts of submission grappling.

Over the last few days I've been looking around on the internet to get some information over the differences and specifics between Catch Wrestling, Submission Wrestling and Scientific Wrestling and it's a virtual forest...

Can someone explain or point me to documentation about these three styles.

- Everytime I google Catch Wrestling I only get historical information of carnaval strongmen or pro-Wrestling, but not techniques, rules or strategies that make Catch Wrestling into Catch Wrestling.

- Is there a style that is called "Submission Wrestling" or is it just another word for "Submission Grappling" where you mix whatever grappling style you know (example:Judo, Bjj, Freestyle) and just fight in grappling shorts and a rashguard?

- Scientific Wrestling? Is it another name for just Catch Wrestling, is it a real style of Submission Wrestling? What are the parent styles?

I hope that there is someone here that has a bigger knowledge of these wrestling styles or can point me to some information on the internet, because I'm at a loss.

thanks, Zendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 11:01am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm from the mainland of Europe and we don't have a wrestling tradition like there excists one in the U.S.A.
    I know the difference between Greco-Roman and Freestyle and the concepts of submission grappling.

Over the last few days I've been looking around on the internet to get some information over the differences and specifics between Catch Wrestling, Submission Wrestling and Scientific Wrestling and it's a virtual forest...

Can someone explain or point me to documentation about these three styles.

- Everytime I google Catch Wrestling I only get historical information of carnaval strongmen or pro-Wrestling, but not techniques, rules or strategies that make Catch Wrestling into Catch Wrestling.

- Is there a style that is called "Submission Wrestling" or is it just another word for "Submission Grappling" where you mix whatever grappling style you know (example:Judo, Bjj, Freestyle) and just fight in grappling shorts and a rashguard?

- Scientific Wrestling? Is it another name for just Catch Wrestling, is it a real style of Submission Wrestling? What are the parent styles?

I hope that there is someone here that has a bigger knowledge of these wrestling styles or can point me to some information on the internet, because I'm at a loss.

thanks, Zendo
    From what I understand, Scientific Wrestling is the name of the organization that promotes Catch Wrestling under the man named Billy Robinson.

Submission Wrestling is just another word for submission grappling as far as I know.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 11:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will end up in trollshido just so you know.

They have a huge battle going on right now. If you don't believe how stupid it is I can find you the threads.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just sub-grappling with emphasis on short-arm scissors, neck cranks, and keylocks; which, in my opinion, isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, type in "CACC" into youtube and you should get plenty of hits.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 4/10/2010 1:49pm at .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This will end up in trollshido just so you know.

They have a huge battle going on right now. If you don't believe how stupid it is I can find you the threads.
    I believe you, I really do.
    When I was browsing the internet, it was already confusing.

I was originally looking for a wrestling style that focused on submissions and chokes, but that also inherited the strenghts of Greco-Roman and Freestyle.
    I found Catch Wrestling, but it's not very known here on the mainland. Everytime I tried to google it, I ended with Pro-Wrestling and carnaval strongmen, but not really a technical description how it compares to Greco-Roman or Freestyle.

I was quiet sure that Submission Wrestling is another name for Submission Grappling and thus not linked to a specific style, but some google hits came up with the connection to Scientific Wrestling. Which should be just a flavour of Catch Wrestling.

So I'm going to brows some information about CACC.
    It's just a damn shame that the Belgian Catch Wrestling Federation and School is just a cheap copy of the WWF/WWE Pro-Wrestling.

edit:
    -----
    If this thread ends up in Trollshido because it started a feud/battle under Greco-Roman, Freestyle, Catch, Sub Wrestl and Sub Grappl practiseners...I'll just sit back with a drink and popcorn and enjoy the show.
    Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 4/10/2010 5:28pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 6:53pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Historically, Catch-as-Catch-Can was basically analogous to modern Freestyle. Unlike wrestling rulesets like Collar-and-Elbow or Greco-Roman, CACC did not limit or restrict the manner in which a competitor was allowed to grip his opponent. The rules were very similar to modern wrestling, minus the point scoring. A competitor won by throwing his opponent to the mat and securing both the opponent's shoulders to the mat.

Modern CACC, depending on who's teaching and where you're competing, can vary, but generally it is either contended under Sub Grappling rules or else rules which resemble Sub Grappling but also allow for Pinfalls.

Sub Wrestling is a synonym for Sub Grappling.

In the old days, "scientific wrestling" just referred to analytic and strategic wrestling. However, these days, Scientific Wrestling generally refers to Jake Shannon's brand of Catch.

--Joe

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another term to confuse you even more "Hybrid Wrestling" (Pancrase grappling/Jap Catch)

Look around for Eric Garnier Sinclair. I believe he is the only certified Hybrid Wrestling trainer in your neck of the woods, he started at least 1 Pancrase gym in Belgium.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!