Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:49pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    I know what monolithic means I just dont see how it fits as a response. Craig you are however right. The more I look at karate the more I will find people that match my description.

Also,"formed of a single block", "Massive, solid, and uniform", if that makes it clearer.

Saying karate is like saying engineer - it's not exactly clear what type, and the type can matter a lot (and, as Maofas and It Is Fake have said, so does the teacher/school). I'm certainly not saying that you can't find bad karate, but beyond looking for a way to broad brush the whole lot, why would you want to? Look for a good one. What would you do with more than one anyway?

If you're going to fight in tournaments, and you believe all karate is bullshido, you will eventually find someone who will change your views on karate. It may not take as long as you think.
    Last edited by Craig Jenkins; 4/13/2010 6:28pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jenkins View Post
    It may not take as long as you think.
    No that is how so many styles stagnate. It is real easy for school to stay in their own little world.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 6:26pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This negates nothing they are talking about. Also, you must go to the wrong tournaments and that would be your fault. My MCDOJO (MC not MAC) never entered tournaments except on rare occasion because, MCdojo tournaments use McDojo rules to benefit their McDojo art.

We were disqualified for to hard contact, continuous techniques and on and on and on. Yet, we were a Mcdojo. One of the ones made fun of here on bullshido. So, if my crappy school eschews these tournaments I can only imagine, actually I know, what good karate schools avoid.

So, you aren't going to see top caliber MAers that spar and fight at these tournaments. No, I don't really care if you name a top rated tournament. If it is a Top Rated McDojo based tournament it will change rules that exclude good practitioners.

in other words you should get out of your little box and take a look at the big world. Oh and with the diversity of the Cali MA scene, I'm shocked at your level of ignorance concerning MAs and tournaments.
    I'd have to say California is a slightly larger hub of martial arts than your neck of the woods so whos in the little box again? Also I to am shocked at YOUR level of ignorance. You make pretty wild assumptions about my knowledge and background with no actual knowledge and so instead of asking questions or having an adult rebuttal you sling insults and call me ignorant. I have been to schools, met Karate practitioners and instructors not just in tournaments but in professional interactions and socialization outside of the tournaments. Most of what I see are baby sitters and point fighters who do a real fancy kata and then put on pads and flail at each other wildly. I recall one class that I sat in on and the first half hour was devoted to the teacher telling about the styles lineage and then they point sparred....poorly. I've met practitioners of many arts and styles and I have seen both good and bad practitioners in all of them. Even my art of Limalama is plagued with an influx of crappy teachers who have taken an impressive art and turned it into McDojo fodder.

If your best defense of Karate is that the really good ones are not in the tournaments than where should I go to see them fight? I didnt say I have anything against Karate in general but that I am generally disappointed with what I see people (such as the videos that started this thread) try to pass off as Karate. A real practitioner is a hard hitting dangerous SOB and It Is Fake and Craig if you have found teachers that teach an authentic effective style of Karate than you are some of the lucky ones. I've seen very few myself but the handful of skilled practitioners I have met are indeed impressive.

Just for the sake of clarity at this point I'd like to say again that I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST KARATE as an art but that much of what I see is unrealistic, ineffective and devoted to forms and point sparring. The few real practitioners out there are outnumbered by the hord of crappy ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you have found teachers that teach an authentic effective style of Karate than you are some of the lucky ones. I've seen very few myself but the handful of skilled practitioners I have met are indeed impressive.

Just for the sake of clarity at this point I'd like to say again that I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST KARATE as an art but that much of what I see is unrealistic, ineffective and devoted to forms and point sparring.

Fair enough - in fact, fair enough even if you did have something against karate in general. It's not that I mind. I'm not attacking you, and I'm not questioning your skill or knowledge in your art. I am only expressing regret that you haven't found good karate, assuring you that there is, and encouraging you to continue to look.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 6:35pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty interesting stuff, but this guy is no Dux. He's the REAL DEAL. This guy is like a baby Dux, or Dux-lite if you prefer.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I had a phone booth that could travel back in time so I could have warned my younger self, "You won't understand this now, but this thing called the internet is coming and soon you will all be held collectively responsible for what that Karate school down the block does as well as every other Karate school in the U.S." because back then it never really occurred to me that other Karate schools were somehow relatives of mine unless we shared some sort of lineage connection or friendship between members of our clubs. We usually looked at them as either competition or as something as foreign to us as Kung Fu.
    Last edited by maofas; 4/13/2010 6:40pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to say California is a slightly larger hub of martial arts than your neck of the woods so whos in the little box again?
    Funny how that is what I said in my post. That with the diversity in Cali you have never found or seen any good Karatekas in your neck of the woods. That means you must be in a small box.

Also I to am shocked at YOUR level of ignorance. You make pretty wild assumptions about my knowledge and background with no actual knowledge and so instead of asking questions or having an adult rebuttal you sling insults and call me ignorant.
    This isn't about your background it is about the ignorant blanket statements you keep making.

Not my fault you feel ignorance and ignorant are insults.

I have been to schools, met Karate practitioners and instructors not just in tournaments but in professional interactions and socialization outside of the tournaments. Most of what I see are baby sitters and point fighters who do a real fancy kata and then put on pads and flail at each other wildly. I recall one class that I sat in on and the first half hour was devoted to the teacher telling about the styles lineage and then they point sparred....poorly. I've met practitioners of many arts and styles and I have seen both good and bad practitioners in all of them. Even my art of Limalama is plagued with an influx of crappy teachers who have taken an impressive art and turned it into McDojo fodder.
    See, you just did it again.

If your best defense of Karate is that the really good ones are not in the tournaments than where should I go to see them fight? I didnt say I have anything against Karate in general but that I am generally disappointed with what I see people (such as the videos that started this thread) try to pass off as Karate. A real practitioner is a hard hitting dangerous SOB and It Is Fake and Craig if you have found teachers that teach an authentic effective style of Karate than you are some of the lucky ones. I've seen very few myself but the handful of skilled practitioners I have met are indeed impressive.
    ...and again

Funny how you miss the other people in this thread telling you that you are wrong about ALL karate.

Kyokoushin Torunaments.
    Enshin Torunaments.
    MMA fights.
    70's Kickboxing Ring videos.

Do you need a bigger list?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear you Maofas, but that's not even in the top hundred things I would tell my younger self.

Just to tie this back to the OP topic, I'm certainly glad I don't owe any allegiance or have any connection to the fellow in these videos.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    I wish I had a phone booth that could travel back in time so I could have warned my younger self, "You won't understand this now, but this thing called the internet is coming and soon you will all be held collectively responsible for what that Karate school down the block does as well as every other Karate school in the U.S." because back then it never really occurred to me that other Karate schools were somehow relatives of mine unless we shared some sort of lineage connection or friendship between members of our clubs. We usually looked at them as either competition or as something as foreign to us as Kung Fu.
    To true to true. Although, I'd tell myself to go to that Judo class right after I gave myself the 280 million Dollar Powerball ticket numbers.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 7:30pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To It Is Fake; Funny how YOU keep missing that I am talking about crappy Karate practitioners and their prevalance. If you care to read a little you will also note that I do point out that there are good karate practitioners out there and I have the highest respect for them and have met a few yes. They are however in the minority. Just to make it easy I will say it again. I HAVE SEEN GOOD PRACTITIONERS BUT I HAVE MET MANY MORE BAD ONES. When you get this thru your six guinea pig powered mind let me know.

To Craig; No worries while I am not a Karate practitioner I did have the good fortune of finding a phenominal teacher. As a child I almost got to train with Fumio Demura but my mothers friend who was suppose to introduce us to him died unexpectedly and that unfortunately fell to the way side.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast