Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 10:40am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he is trying to fit in.
    Yeah, my bad.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 11:50am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monolithic?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:38pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Monolithic?
    Like the intro of Space Odyssey except the apes are wearing Gi's

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:46pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rigid, unbending,

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what monolithic means I just dont see how it fits as a response. Craig you are however right. The more I look at karate the more I will find people that match my description. illegalusername thats the best visual of the day.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty clear that he's saying unlike Judo, which is one style that is controlled tightly by a large central organization with helper orgs, Karate is a blanket term for a hundred different styles, different orgs within those styles, zillions of rogue schools doing their own thing, and many schools that bear little resemblance to other schools even within their own supposed sub-style of Karate & org.

Do you live near NC by any chance? We're having a Throwdown soon where people from various styles will meet up and spar. If not, there might be one happening in your area too. You say you meet more people that match your description all the time, but I'm wondering where you're meeting them, unless you mean watching YouTube videos or talking to some random idiot at a party who tells you about his black belt in something.
    Last edited by maofas; 4/13/2010 4:46pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    It's pretty clear that he's saying unlike Judo, which is one style that is controlled tightly by a large central organization with helper orgs, Karate is a blanket term for a hundred different styles, different orgs within those styles, zillions of rogue schools doing their own thing, and many schools that bear little resemblance to other schools even within their own supposed sub-style of Karate & org.
    This right here.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm California based so not much chance of making it to NC :) I have been an instructor and met many styles at tournaments and just in day to day interaction. I have seen many many macdojos and they are overwhelmingly TKD and Karate. I have nothing against karate as an art but I am constantly disappointed to see the state of it in the USA. I respect real karate but see very little of it these days. The joker that this thread was started about is sadly the common caliber of Karate practitioners that I see these days.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    I'm California based so not much chance of making it to NC :) I have been an instructor and met many styles at tournaments and just in day to day interaction. I have seen many many macdojos and they are overwhelmingly TKD and Karate. I have nothing against karate as an art but I am constantly disappointed to see the state of it in the USA. I respect real karate but see very little of it these days. The joker that this thread was started about is sadly the common caliber of Karate practitioners that I see these days.
    This negates nothing they are talking about. Also, you must go to the wrong tournaments and that would be your fault. My MCDOJO (MC not MAC) never entered tournaments except on rare occasion because, MCdojo tournaments use McDojo rules to benefit their McDojo art.

We were disqualified for to hard contact, continuous techniques and on and on and on. Yet, we were a Mcdojo. One of the ones made fun of here on bullshido. So, if my crappy school eschews these tournaments I can only imagine, actually I know, what good karate schools avoid.

So, you aren't going to see top caliber MAers that spar and fight at these tournaments. No, I don't really care if you name a top rated tournament. If it is a Top Rated McDojo based tournament it will change rules that exclude good practitioners.

in other words you should get out of your little box and take a look at the big world. Oh and with the diversity of the Cali MA scene, I'm shocked at your level of ignorance concerning MAs and tournaments.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast