Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Going to Israel, anyone have experience with Krav Maga?

I haven't been around these parts for ages. I missed you all.

Granted this post is a bit premature, but hey...

Anyways, my fiancée is conducting her research for her Ph.D. in Israel in about a year from now. I really like traveling, and was planning on tagging along as moral support. Her research will probably have us living there for at least a year, perhaps closer to a year and a half. I haven't got the slightest clue what I'll do there for over a year besides travel, learn Hebrew and perhaps find work in contract archaeology or English language instruction if I'm lucky.

A couple of days ago, however, she came home really excited because she'd seen a Krav Maga demonstration through one of her student groups. I'd heard of it before, but I checked it out in more depth and damn, I have to say, it looks pretty fun! ...not to mention practical in self defense situations. ;)

So yeah, I know this would be a ways off, but does anyone have any experience with this art form, especially within Israel itself? I'd be excited to hear about your experiences.

Style
    Judo super noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been in it for almost two years. I plan to travel to israel next summer.

Anyway It's fun if you like hard work. Krav is more then a martial art but also a way of thinking (kinda like Martial arts philosophy)

You will be taught the fundamentals of striking and situational defenses (chokes, bearhugs, knife, even hair pulls) Though you will be instilled values.

The beauty of Krav is it understands that stuff goes wrong. Even if you screw up a defense once you reach a level of understanding you know what to do.

For example I was doing a defense with a partner and i lost control of his arm. This is a major mistake but instead of panicing I kept forward pressure and still maintained control as I pushed the guy across the room.

Its hard work until it clicks. Though its fun all the way

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    Krav is more then a martial art but also a way of thinking (kinda like Martial arts philosophy)
    These words...I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    Been in it for almost two years. I plan to travel to israel next summer.

Anyway It's fun if you like hard work. Krav is more then a martial art but also a way of thinking (kinda like Martial arts philosophy)

You will be taught the fundamentals of striking and situational defenses (chokes, bearhugs, knife, even hair pulls) Though you will be instilled values.

The beauty of Krav is it understands that stuff goes wrong. Even if you screw up a defense once you reach a level of understanding you know what to do.

For example I was doing a defense with a partner and i lost control of his arm. This is a major mistake but instead of panicing I kept forward pressure and still maintained control as I pushed the guy across the room.

Its hard work until it clicks. Though its fun all the way

Nutride much kid? Jeez, lay it on thick why don't you?

Anyway, one of my students used to teach Krav Maga for the special forces over there. When you go let us know and I'll direct you to one of the civilian schools.

Style
    BJJ n stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do KM now that I have a family and am more interested in defense than combat sports & TMA (which I had great fun doing for many years). If you are going to Israel then you may as well get into one of the most legitimate organisations you can. This way, when you leave Israel you will have a better chance of getting into a club or school that has proper quality control and teaches the same stuff. From my experience I can only recommend you look at the IKMF (who I train with) - although I have also heard good things about the IKMA. Again, I can only speak for the clubs I have seen but gradings in the IKMF involve one of the expert level instructors coming over from Israel - they tour around a few schools so it doesn't cost much to get them over PLUS they do fail people. Quality control is one of the things that separates the main Israeli organisations with the McDojo type schools that seem to be all over the US.
    Good luck with it, hope it works out!
    Last edited by Prince Vlad; 5/13/2010 10:31am at .

Style
    Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like most martial arts, there's good and bad places and you can find good krav here.
    If you have any idea where in the country you'll be living I can probably help you out.

Also, Omega, I'm sure you know this, but teaching special forces krav maga means nothing. My old TKD teacher taught Krav-Maga at the counter-terrorism school (he actually did... I know it's a common line) and he was a TKD and Kyokushin guy, I've also met KM instructors who came from MT, Judo and no MA background.

KM in the IDF is mostly aggression and toughness, through sparring with some protective gear with very little emphasis on technical skill.
    Civilian KM I never practiced, But I've met guys who did, it's actually very technical but also heavy on aggression and sparring.
    It is mostly striking from what I know, so I don't know how well-rounded you get from it.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Like most martial arts, there's good and bad places and you can find good krav here.
    If you have any idea where in the country you'll be living I can probably help you out.

Also, Omega, I'm sure you know this, but teaching special forces krav maga means nothing. My old TKD teacher taught Krav-Maga at the counter-terrorism school (he actually did... I know it's a common line) and he was a TKD and Kyokushin guy, I've also met KM instructors who came from MT, Judo and no MA background.

KM in the IDF is mostly aggression and toughness, through sparring with some protective gear with very little emphasis on technical skill.
    Civilian KM I never practiced, But I've met guys who did, it's actually very technical but also heavy on aggression and sparring.
    It is mostly striking from what I know, so I don't know how well-rounded you get from it.
    Yes, but since he served in the IDF and spent 3 years over there and frequently goes back I figured he'd know of a good school to go to.

Style
    Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Yes, but since he served in the IDF and spent 3 years over there and frequently goes back I figured he'd know of a good school to go to.
    makes sense:thumbsup:

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post

Hey Gidi,

We'll be in Tel Aviv.

So, at least from the few videos I've watched of (presumably civilian) Krav Maga demonstrations, they appear to have at least some emphasis on submission. Perhaps this is just because submission is a lot more dramatic to watch than someone fake striking someone else in the face? :)
    Last edited by kale; 5/13/2010 4:22pm at .

Style
    Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kale View Post
    Hey Gidi,

We'll be in Tel Aviv.

So, at least from the few videos I've watched of (presumably civilian) Krav Maga demonstrations, they appear to have at least some emphasis on submission. Perhaps this is just because submission is a lot more dramatic to watch than someone fake striking someone else in the face? :)
    I guess they started adding submissions to their curriculum since it grew in popularity, and they probably had a few things in there. Since Imi Lichtenfeld built most of the original KM on boxing, wrestling and judo.

I don't know many places in TA who teach KM, it's not a scene I frequent, Some guy in my office started doing KM in the area, I'll ask him when I see him next. Besides, if you need help translating any websites or want a second opinion, anything, just ask.
    If you like, than closer to when you get here, I'll google around here in hebrew and look in local forums for comments.