226199 Bullies, 4058 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    listen to your body. overtraining is as bad as undertraining.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 10:17am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you have plenty of rest and recovery time - if you can go every day, great, so long as you don't go in already wiped out and sore.

Training tired can make you sloppy and sloppy= injury prone.

Don't let your ego get the best of you or you'll end up out again.

So train hard, but train smart. Also Ibuprofen before class will help any tenderness/soreness and (according to my doc) reduce the likelihood of certain types of injury.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 11:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Warm up well before and stretch afterwards. Every time without fail, especially if you train once or twice a day.

And read the stickies in the PT forum. After I did, I realized I wasn't eating enough at the right times to train once or twice every day.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! Thanks for the fucking awesome replies! To nwp: I'm 25. But almost two days later though, and I'm walking around the house like an old man! My hips are totally destoyed. I've done some stretches, but they don't seem to help much. I'll keep trying though. I'd like to train tonight, but it's looking grim. I have to work @ midnight too (which is basically walking around. GREAT).
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina View Post
    I have to work @ midnight too (which is basically walking around. GREAT).
    My wife (she trains too) and I get weird looks when we walk through stores because we will at times use a step or shelf to stop and stretch while we look at something.

I like to refer to it as "Stretchy Parkour" where you try to come up with a stretch for every object, ledge, or hole that you walk by.

People look at us funny but we could give a ****. It is a great way to get some more stretching minutes especially since you are walking and your large muscle groups are probably relatively warm.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 3:10pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! Thanks for the fucking awesome replies! To nwp: I'm 25. But almost two days later though, and I'm walking around the house like an old man! My hips are totally destoyed. I've done some stretches, but they don't seem to help much. I'll keep trying though. I'd like to train tonight, but it's looking grim. I have to work @ midnight too (which is basically walking around. GREAT).
    Try and get some stretch time AFTER you work out too - you'll make more progress stretching when your muscles are warm than warming up by stretching...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 4:18pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's commiserate! I'm 28, and a total BJJ noob. I've been walking around the last few days feeling like I have the hips, hip flexors, and inner thigh/ groin muscles of 90 year old. Getting out of bed has plain sucked... but there's a sick (masochist?) side of me that loves this feeling.

I'm enjoying this thread because I'm in the same position of now being able to train due to a relatively open schedule at the moment, but trying to walk a fine line between overtraining and hitting a sweet spot. I also want to thank everyone for the good replies.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swim and or hot tub - good stuff to help.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 4:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Swim and or hot tub - good stuff to help.
    OP: If you have/can access a hot tub.. get the **** in it is awesome!

A hot bath is also really useful, but I rarely have them because I have the attention span of a toenail and can't sit still that long unless I can find something to occupy me.. bathtub mariokart anyone?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 9:38am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    .... bathtub mariokart anyone?
    Mind blown
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast