Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finally back to training! (+ question)

After 5 years or so. I did a little but here and there, but nothing serious. It's the day after my second class, and I am so sore... it hurts to move. Especially getting up.

On the bright side, I got my first twister! I'm a big Eddie Bravo fan (I have both of his 'Mastering' books). I had the lockdown in half guard, and the guy just basically gave it to me by giving me his back (with the lockdown still in).

Anyway, my question is: Since I can go everyday... Should I? When I trained regularly I didn't often train 2 days in a row. Now my friends here are telling me I should train 6-7 days a week.

After 5 years of sitting on my ass, is it smart to just jump right in? Or am I being a *****?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're being a ***** ******. Do some warmp-up, stretch in the morning and get your ass back in there.

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 7:35pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ease into it, but quickly, IMO. You don't want to burn yourself out, but you also don't want to be complacent. Just ramp it up an extra day a week/fortnight.

This is my opinion only and may only be the way that works for me, I tend to really want to rush these things, keen as to learn and get fit. In the past I start off on a regime of 5-6 days a week, diet planned and everything. Then, because I'm barely giving myself sufficient recovery time and cause I am an unfit bastard I get the flu or even just a cold, but it hits hard, or it is obviously contagious so training with people is disrespectful. There goes training for a week. Come back, train harder cause I'm trying to make up for lost time, injury. Or even worse, if I have been particularly sedentary or drug/drink addled, instead of learning, I spend all my time trying to get to a base fitness level and don't progress as quick as I'd hope.

This year, after a month inactivity, I started twice a week to test the waters of a new school, the next week, three times, the next week four times a week training, a few hours at a time. This method seemed to work heaps well for me because I am excited about training and have never felt fitter. It is coming into winter and I gave up smoking recently, combined these factors are a very real short term danger to my lungs and health so I didn't want to start a 6 day training regime. However, the ramping up has allowed me to look at new opportunities, I'm not locked into my own fitness plan. I can roll with BJJers and throw Judoka and still give each two days a week and when there is opportunity, do even more. Not locking myself into 5-6 days training means I have the option to train more than a base of 4 days a week if I feel like it, but I can have a life (fiance, work, friends) outside without getting down on myself for missing training.

I still do light exercise at home on most of the off days, mainly push ups, squats and sit ups. As I said, this has worked really well for me this year.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go for it. I once talked my way into the bbs instructor's class in Wado in Honolulu for several weeks. Six days a week, from 6AM to 9AM. For the first week or so I'd hardly be able to move (outside of class, in class I'd warm right up). Then my body adjusted to the workouts and I was OK and when I got back to Utah my Kaju sifu said, "You're better." After training for awhile I heard that Sensei had gotten pissed because his instructors had gotten tired in the last testing. So it was all amped up. And I walked right in to the extra hard training.

Given that you are healthy just go for it. The human body does boot camp type training without problems.

Oh, and it was great training. One week 1/2 hour kata, then 2 1/2 hours sparring drills and sparring. Next week 1/2 hour sparring, 2 1/2 hours kata. And I'd never done stuff like the same kata 18 times nonstop before (or since). Legs shaking, sweat soaked gi, what fun!
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 4/08/2010 10:25pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you? If you are going to hit it hard you are going to be sore at first but if you can recover pretty quickly, ROCK IT.

The only thing I ever did 5-6 days a week that demanded physical intensity (other than work) was snowboard. I would work 8 months and save all my money all summer to be able to take off 4 months in winter (with help from my wife of course). Its not exacly MA, it is more of a blissful endeavor, so it is easy to want to be in that environment all the time. You only bleed from mistakes, training MA is certainly more painful on the average.

I trained and competed but I found that when I rode 5 or 6 days a week I would only have 3 days where I really had all my faculties.
    Of course altitude, malnourishment from being a lazy, invincible twenty something in an overpriced resort didnt help that but I managed.

Monday was always a warmup as I have always hurt myself in the morning on the first run, or trying to squeeze a little more out at the end of the day when there is nothing left..SHTOOPID! (5 surgeries, all self inflicted, motorcross 2, snowboarding 2, football 1, but I still need a new ACL so put me down for one more plz).

Tuesday, Wed, and Thurs. I had the flow. I would ride and wear myself out and easily
    do it all over again.
    So after 3 days I pretty much lost the "pop" in my legs and my timing wasnt quite right because I needed to recover. Slightly dangerous when blasting thru trees in questionable snow at 40+ mph!

Friday was cruisin time and Saturday was always for socialness as the mountain was busy and I was generally beat.

But after resting on Sun I was ready to start over and kick asphalt!

Not so much anymore, recovery is usually only two days but If I go hard every other day I am jacked by the end of the week. Of course thats going hard after 8 to sometimes 15 hours of construction or stressing about lack of construction!
    Actually I guess I dont train when I have those 12 to 15 hour days, but I will after 10 hours cuz I can still make it to the dojo.

I would just recommend warming up, then pushing up to apogee in the middle of the week, and then easing back down at the end of the week!

Unless your only 28 or something, in that case- Tear it up!

If the esteemed Fug says go for it though, aint none of us too old.

Personal question if you dont mind? How do you get to train whenever? Did you get your inheritance? Win the lotto? Own a successful nuclear engineering company?
    Can I come to your BBQ's?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:56am

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train every day you can. If you feel like you can't take, take a few days off and rest. Then get back to the gym.

However you train, always remember to train no more then 5 days a week. Your body needs at least two days to recover.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 6:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been accused by many of overtraining.. but my attitude is to do as much as you can of it.. the more you do the better you will get.

especially with grappling, nothing increases your rape strength better than getting on the mats
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 7:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ, MMA ex capoeir

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For sure! The more you can train without breaching into the realm of over training the better I say.

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 8:36am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a similar situation after not being able to train in grappling for almost half a year, then suddenly being in a training environment way out of my league with basically no instruction. After being uchi mata'd and otherwise ipponed every 15 seconds over 2 hours, fallen on, and having the back of my finger sheared off on a gi, I've been savoring an extra long brake over the weekend. I'm hoping to do three more 3.5 hour warm-up/randori sessions next week, and gradually build up to five. If you kill yourself (as I have done in the past) then recovery time cuts too much into your training in my experience. Then again, maybe I need to HTFU....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 10:11am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HTFU and go every day.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast