Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 8:28am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the "defend against a low kick" part of the video Sang is referring to. I think the intent there is simply to check the kick with your knee by lifting and folding your leg slightly. At my gym we call it a "lazy block", but it's very effective... it hurts your opponent far more than it hurts you.

During sparring we don't usually follow it up with a knee, however. The standard followup is "Sorry -- you OK?"

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 9:47am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is definitely some good stuff on this dvd. I feel a bit sad watching it because it makes me realize that i know **** all about the Thai clinch, which is in essence the defining aspect of Muay Thai. I also find it pretty humorous that I've won half my matches in the clinch even with my ineptitude.

I'm going pick two techniques from this dvd to master in sparring each month combined with some drilling with my gf. I'm not sure how well i'm going to be able to perform some of them though, especially the ones where he hooks his leg under their knee. A lot of the moves are very dependent on timing too, but that's just like the rest of the striking game.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 2:36pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Malaipet's clinch dvd is one of the most informative Muay Thai instructionals on the market. I knew pretty much all of those techniques before watching the video, however Malaipet uses a number of variations that I hadn't tried. I've adopted a couple of his variations and in other cases prefer the variations I already knew.

For me, the key thing to take away from the techniques is the footwork! That is the KEY to getting the clinch right. When I coach my fighters in the clinch, I emphasize using technique and leverage rather than strength, so proper positioning and footwork is critical!

My only "critique" of this DVD is in how its structured. I love how they demonstrated and described each technique, but there was no progression from simple to more complicated. Basically it came across like a random sampling of techniques rather than start from the bare-bones basics and progress from basic to advanced level stuff. That "complaint" is meant to be very mild, though, because it is easily the most informative and best produced MT instructional on the market, IMHO.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 9:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have this DVD and It's very good. I've heard a little hype about this one: http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=30096 . I wish it wasn't so expensive but may pick it up if the reviews are good.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 7:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a bit of time to play around with these techniques now. Some of the throws are brilliant, I've landed the 'offensive head control throw #1' on pretty much everyone in the gym.

I am having some trouble getting a few of his grappling techniques with gloves on though, snaking an arm in with 16 ounce gloves on is infinitely harder than gloveless. I'm trying to convince my sparring partners to use 12 ounce gloves in grappling training but most of them only own one set.

My clinch work has already improved so much just from watching the footwork and leverage in his basic pulldown and side pulldown. I already used these but for some reason i never realized that the step was vital to utilizing the leverage, I've been trying to pull people's heads down with just my arm strength.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and i dropped a heavier fighter with the counter to the uppercut he shows (went to the body instead of the head). Overall a great purchase.
    Kenny Weldon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I've had a bit of time to play around with these techniques now. Some of the throws are brilliant, I've landed the 'offensive head control throw #1' on pretty much everyone in the gym.

I am having some trouble getting a few of his grappling techniques with gloves on though, snaking an arm in with 16 ounce gloves on is infinitely harder than gloveless. I'm trying to convince my sparring partners to use 12 ounce gloves in grappling training but most of them only own one set.

My clinch work has already improved so much just from watching the footwork and leverage in his basic pulldown and side pulldown. I already used these but for some reason i never realized that the step was vital to utilizing the leverage, I've been trying to pull people's heads down with just my arm strength.
    Yeah, like has been said, the foot work is a huge part of clinch techniques. On the glove thing, personally I think it's better to work clinch gloveless than with sparring gloves since the bulky gloves are going to screw with your technique. I know some people say training with gloves is training "with resistance" but I think you get a much better feel for the technique without. Hell, the Thai do clinch without gloves so their must be something to it.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to best reproduce the environment of the fight in my training, i've felt a lot better doing pad work in 12 ounce gloves than 16's. The problem i have with just doing gloveless clinch work is its so different from the fight experience, they always give me brand new gloves for a fight which pretty much have no give.

Between 16 ounce gloves and gloveless i think gloveless is more comparable to new 10 ounces though. I'm considering buying two pairs of 10 ounce gloves to use just in grappling sparring. This dvd has gotten me excited about MT again, hurrah.
    Kenny Weldon

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 9:56am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got the DVD yesterday and watched through the first 10 or so techniques. I'm really liking it so far, the throws are what I was most interested in and, so far, I've seen most of the stuff already. But being able to watch it broken down so I can observe the foot work and his entries is going to be a huge help.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 12:53pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^pretty much my experience too. Like I mentioned earlier, there really wasn't anything "new" per se.... but a number of the techniques were variations on stuff I already knew. Slightly different body positioning or body mechanics, slight difference in footwork and angles being taken.

I've found that a number of the variations Malaipet uses don't work well for me, but at least I know them and can show them to my fighters. Everyone's body is different, so things that work for me will be different than what works for others, so I like showing Malaipet's variations so that my fighters can experiment and see which works best for them.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast