Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Muaythai Clinch - Malaipet instructional DVD

I picked up this video recently as I've been trying to expand on my knowledge of the muaythai clinch (it's very difficult to find good instruction on clinching). This video is excellent as far as instructionals go. In the DVD there's a nice variety of techniques ranging from the basics of securing and breaking the clinch (with a few details I didn't know), defense, elbows, and (my favorite) throws/take downs from the clinch.

Each technique is broken down and very nicely described to give a clear idea of the fundamental details used. Everything is simple and understandable and can be easily applied with a partner, but there is a lot of good stuff in there that I think most muaythai practitioners would benefit from. I have a pretty solid clinch game (as it's one of my major strong points) and I found this video very helpful and informative.

I highly recommend this DVD to anyone looking to expand on their knowledge of the muaythai clinch.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 4:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmmm Sounds promising you know I love the clinch game. What kind of throws did they cover?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    hmmmm Sounds promising you know I love the clinch game. What kind of throws did they cover?
    A bunch of different ones from a few different positions. Throw from head/neck clinch, a counter to knee strikes (take out supporting leg+dump), a couple throws as defense to head/neck clinch, a simple dump with hands on torso. I think there were about 7 different throws with different set ups. I've tried most (if not all) of them so far and they work great, though are all very situation/timing/surprise dependent.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amazon link, if anyone's interested:
    Amazon.com: Muay Thai Clinch DVD with Malaipet: Movies & TV

Thanks Spatula, it's going on my wishlist.

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 9:49pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they cover knees to the thighs? I've been playing around with those a lot lately and having decent success, but I'm sure there's more to know about them.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Do they cover knees to the thighs? I've been playing around with those a lot lately and having decent success, but I'm sure there's more to know about them.
    Nah, there's nothing on kneeing the legs (besides kneeing the thigh as part of a takedown)

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kneeing the leg isnt really something you see much of in thai fighters. TBH when ive been kneed in the legs in fights it hasnt done **** and im not sure it scores much either.

YMMV

sounds like a good DVD i absolutely love the clinch, but i need to learn some more throwing techniques

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah muaythai throws are the whole reason I was interested in this video as it's been one of the biggest things I've wanted to learn and never really have. The throws in this video are great, and learning the fundamentals of a few different throws makes it much easier to figure out other throws on your own.

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:54am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't have enough time to go through the clinch part of it yet but finding the dvd interesting so far.

Have any of you had success checking low kicks like that? I've always been taught to keep the leg's angle to 90 degrees. I could see Malaipet's version causing more damage to their shin.

And the headkick block shown after this is how you properly catch headkicks? I've always wondered how to do this without getting my head kicked off.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 8:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Don't have enough time to go through the clinch part of it yet but finding the dvd interesting so far.

Have any of you had success checking low kicks like that? I've always been taught to keep the leg's angle to 90 degrees. I could see Malaipet's version causing more damage to their shin.
    I think I do this from time to time. When you're getting close and you want to engage right away it works well because you're not going so much force on force and you can just continue right into a combo rather than doing a hard block which halts your motion more dramatically. I don't think it jacks up their shin particularly more than a stiff leg check since you're just letting the kick slide down your leg rather than solidly blocking it. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what he's doing, the leg is just loose and the kick slides down your knee so you can continue your forward motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    And the headkick block shown after this is how you properly catch headkicks? I've always wondered how to do this without getting my head kicked off.
    I've always just caught high kicks with my head lol.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast