is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 10:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    That would surprise me a lot given that Aoki has fought at 170.
    The reason I asked is because I heard from someone on these boards that Japanese fighters don't generally cut a lot of weight.

Russ, you're smarter than thinking a picture from that angle gives any indication of actual heights.
    And you should be able to infer which part of your post I was replying to. Hint: If Melendez was wearing a shirt, I'd have used a different picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 12:38am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would surprise me a lot given that Aoki has fought at 170. Melendez may have as well but there wasn't a time when I was watching the fight and thought Melendez was bigger.

Russ, you're smarter than thinking a picture from that angle gives any indication of actual heights. For what it is worth (not much either) Aoki is generally listed as being taller too.

Of course we might as well measure Aoki's height while he's sitting on his ass.
    not taller obviously. melendez is a bit pudgy but he has some obvious muscle under there, aoki looks like an accountant. TBH i think youre trolling if you cant see a size difference there, Aoki is -slightly- taller but very noticeably smaller.

I think the reason japanese fighters dont work it in the UFC apart from size is that they simply dont come from the kinds of camps that the americans do. look at who melendez was traning with- who was in aokis camp? i dont mean good trainers, i mean good sparring partners. hes too much of a prick and has too much pride.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 1:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Aoki was very well accustomed to grappling in a cage. Of course he was as unsuccessful in the middle too, but when he had full guard I think he was always his back against the cage. Hedidn't really seem to know how to deal with the immobility that it brings.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 1:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shinya has stated that it wasn't the cage, Melendez was just a good fighter:
    http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...rticle&id=1999

Quote Originally Posted by Shinya Aoki
    "It was a decisive defeat. I would like to state a word of appreciation for Mr. Scott Coker and DREAM staff who have worked hard to make this fight a reality. I would like to congratulate Gilbert Melendez for defending his title in our fight tonight. Though some may perceive this as a loss for Japanese MMA, my spirit is not broken and I plan on going back to Japan and putting forth prodigious effort so that I will be able to challenge for the title once again."

"The difference between fighting in the cage and the ring was negligible, and Melendez was just plain good. Fighting in the cage for the first time, I felt comfortable in the new setting and had a blast. I am just grateful that I got to step into the cage."

"Right now, I am in no position of asking for a (DREAM) rematch and I think it's best that I strive to raise the value of 'Shinya Aoki' so that Melendez can say, 'I do not mind fighting Aoki once again' on his accord. As things stand right now, I would cringe if I said, 'I want to fight him again.'"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 2:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dunno, i think the cage did cause him some problems. he didn't do anything that i'm used to seeing cage fighters do when pinned in the corner. maybe that's just his style, but i have an idea that he may be fooling himself when he says that the cage is no different and he doesn't need to train with one.

besides that, he's an incomplete fighter. his striking isn't good enough, his shots aren't good enough, and he can't use striking to set up his shots or the reverse. he doesn't even have good ground and pound. i can't think of anyone who competes at this level who has such a limited range of skills.

he has the potential to be awesome. i'd like to see him improve.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 7:07am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree'd Danno, but it's nice to see him fight, I enjoy watching most of his fights.

As for Shinya's response ... gotta say, fairly classy and its nice to see!

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 7:36am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was yet another recent MMA show where BJJ guard work seemed to fail.

Good striking + wrestling and sub defence seems to tromp the BJJ guard 9 times out of 10 these days.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 7:48am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The cage had nothing to do with the loss.

Aoki was outclassed and outmuscled.

I think this should stop all talk of Aoki fighting Penn, he would get destroyed (Penns even larger than Melendes).

As much as i love watching Aoki its pretty apparent that he's a World Class grappler but certainly not a World Class MMA fighter.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:01am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His loss had nothing to with his size. Aoki has fought at WW and is not a small LW.

He lost because he sucks on the feet.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 8:09am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also the theory that Aoki losses his power when he's not wearing his multicoloured tights.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast