Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 10:58pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Silva could do well against the heavyweight strikers, the big wrestlers would be a problem though.

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 11:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would love to see him fight at 230. He's obviously very very skilled, but I think he's oversized for his division and his reach makes it just too easy for him. I think he's a natural LHW, but if he fought at a Fedor-esque HW weight and dominated, he might edge out Fedor for best legacy.
    Last edited by maofas; 4/08/2010 11:33pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always thought the awesomeness of mass that is Lesner/ Carwin would keep them necessarily outside of this fantasyline here. But you are on point Shelby with the fact that the (big) wrestle is the questionable thing here, as we rarely get to see him have to defend
    it.
    Not that he doesnt have a quiver of wins on some good grapple such as, HENDO, Marquardt, Lutter and Horn!

I dont think Gonzaga or Congo or Randy or anyone else could beat him at 200 pound much less 225. Lets remember, if there are are any kids here who didnt know, Lesner was an NCAA champion before he went deathmetal WWE!
    And he is 260 pounds of only modestly trained gorilla.

I draw the line at him and Carwin.
    AND Fedor too. Anderson has half the world, but lets not go too far. I think he has a few more years to catch up to Fedor.

Fedor is teh real Bruce Lee, with less kicking and in an armored truck sort of way.
    He will piss in Lesners wheaties someday, Lordwilling.

This is a pinnacle, at least in my mind. Silva is sooo good we have to sit here and imagine a way to see him fight the King Kong of the whole circus!
    We are compelled to dream of the guy who might stop him on paper. And then we know it is still a theoretical.

I respect BJ and GSP and their accomplishments (and Hughes, but he's a tool)
    but I think Anderson is in a class by himself, the only one who compares to Couture, but Randy has achieved it thru longevity in and out at the top of his field.

Anderson has earned it in a shorter period due to his complete supremacy of his peers as well as credible longevity.

I would love to see him take over the King of the World of MMA from Fedor someday. I am not doubting its possibility, but I dont think Anderson is going to go on past these eight fights. Hope Im wrong.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A cut to 170 for Silva means dropping at least fifteen pounds of muscle - not water, muscle.

That said, I saw this tidbit on John Berardi's forums a little while ago:

However, I suspect a superfight between [GSP] and Anderson Silva in the next year. And should that happen, we'll bulk him up to a lean 210 lbs.
    - Georges St-Pierre and Precision Nutrition - Precision Nutrition Member Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:50am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a 200+ pound GSP is a scary thought...I still have trouble picturing him as a middleweight though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    A cut to 170 for Silva means dropping at least fifteen pounds of muscle - not water, muscle.

That said, I saw this tidbit on John Berardi's forums a little while ago:

- Georges St-Pierre and Precision Nutrition - Precision Nutrition Member Zone
    Excellent Sir Russ.
    In all that blathering of mine I never once talked about him going down in weight.
    It never interested my mind as practical or wise or healthy especially, so I have always, only entertained him going UP.

That said, I would love to see Captian Canada crush em at MW or LHW! Until he gets to that spider guy.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 6:42am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydeth View Post
    I think Silva could do well against the heavyweight strikers, the big wrestlers would be a problem though.
    I think people are going over the top with their worship of these big guys. Size isnt everything, Mir thought he would become king of the world if he went up to 265...that didnt quite work out did it?

How the **** is Shane Carwin supposed to beat Silva? His slow punches wont come close to hitting him, Anderson will outpoint him on the feet. Okay so Carwin gets a takedown, all that will achieve for him is eating elbows from Silva and being threatened with submissions. Eventually the fight goes back up, Carwin gets tired and gets caught. Silva by KO.

It would be harder for Silva to deal with Lesnar because of his speed and cardio, but I honestly believe he could take that fight as well.

Silva walks around at 215-220 right now and 6"2 tall, if he adds on 230 pounds of muscle (which shouldnt be too hard for an athlete of his caliber) he will be quite a lot larger than Fedor. The guy that has dominated the division for almost a decade now.

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 6:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva has sub-par wrestling compared to his other skillsets. He would get raped, brutalised, sodomised and cornholed by any upper-level heavyweight with a good wrestling background.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 6:53am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Silva has sub-par wrestling compared to his other skillsets. He would get raped, brutalised, sodomised and cornholed by any upper-level heavyweight with a good wrestling background.
    People thought Lutter would submit him because of his "weak" ground game but how did that go? People thought Henderson was the worst possible matchup for him and he stood no chance but what did he do? People were saying he couldnt fight at LHW but it took him less than 2 minutes to dispose of a former champ there. How many times have people doubted the man and every fucking time he dominates.

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 7:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't think Henderson is a good example - Henderson is more of a natural LHW than MW or HW, and from what I recall, round 1 ended with Silva being stuck under Henderson without really looking like he had a way out. Now imagine somebody like Carwin managing to get Silva down - that's a lot of flesh to squeeze out from underneath.

There is a LONG way from fighting in a weight class above you that's 20 pounds or so more to fighting TWO weight classes above you when that weight class is heavyweight and populated by people the size of Godzilla.
    Heavyweight Silva would also be a lot slower, especially in the first few months until he accomodated to his new weight, and his excellent evasive strike defence is one of his main strengths.

I think Silva'd have an excellent shot at beating both Rua and Machida, but he would not make much of a mark at heavyweight.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast