Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA with friends

Ok i have a few friends who are willing to spar with me two of which are wrestlers and the other is a bjj guy. I just have a few questions to ask about this.

see as we will be doing this on our own i just wanted to know what you guys think of just straight up going at it. i mean im all for just regular feat and hands sparring if thats what they want but seeing as they have ground game backrounds i would assume they would want to be able to use that. so if they want a ground game i want to be able to use elbows and knees.
    what i really want to know is how to minimize injuries. i really dont want my face to get all fucked up and i dont want to have to take anyone to the emergency room if i get lucky. any suggestions?

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:30am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you train MMA at home with people who are not trained in MMA with any kind of force, people will get hurt. Thats why we pay money and go to gyms when we can.

If you have friends who know wrestling, then train wrestling, if you have a friend that is at least a blue belt in bjj and he wants to train with you, by all means. But expect accidents to happen, feelings to get hurt, and bad habits to be picked up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i hear you. I just want actual sparring partners. but i think that i will just make some rules to keep to many injuries from happening. ty for your advice.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:48am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are throwing elbows and knees on the ground then someone is going to get fucked up for reals.
    If you've got wrestlers involved you need some really good mats or someone is going to get all of their bones shattered the first time one of them hits a double leg.

One of the wrestlers is going to get his arm broken trying to slam his way out of the BJJ guys armbar.

You should all go train at a proper MMA gym instead.

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shoot boxing with 16 ounce gloves limited ground work and a ref is the safest way. No elbows.

Now go hurt yourselves and take video.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are t-minus 3 weeks to this:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:15am

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kostic View Post
    ... any suggestions?
    Yeah, I suggest that you don't do that.
    You haven't given any indication that you actually train in anything at all. So i am going to presume that you have poor technique, no control and zero clue.
    Do your buds actively train in wrestling or BJJ, or just used to do it for a short while a long time ago? They might be not much better than total newbs too.
    If you want to wrestle, join their wrestling gym.
    If you want to play BJJ, join you other buddy's club.
    But don't try "mixing martial arts" if you haven't got a solid foundation in one or two yet, and you don't have proper supervision and protective equipment.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kostic View Post
    Ok i have a few friends who are willing to spar with me two of which are wrestlers and the other is a bjj guy. I just have a few questions to ask about this.

see as we will be doing this on our own i just wanted to know what you guys think of just straight up going at it. i mean im all for just regular feat and hands sparring if thats what they want but seeing as they have ground game backrounds i would assume they would want to be able to use that. so if they want a ground game i want to be able to use elbows and knees.
    what i really want to know is how to minimize injuries. i really dont want my face to get all fucked up and i dont want to have to take anyone to the emergency room if i get lucky. any suggestions?
    1. Get the **** out of my forum. Your thread has nothing to do with martial technique. How hard is it to understand that the technical forums are ABOUT TECHNIQUE!

2. This is a really bad idea. There is a damn good reason people go to gyms to train under competent supervision.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plz post vids so me might all enjoy the spazztardary and resulting butthurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:50am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting without proper training, without proper equipment, and without proper supervision is very dangerous unless you have the right ruleset. Here's one that might help you:

-Fight shall consist of three three minute rounds.
    -Both combatants must wear bicycle helmets and brightly colored knee pads at all times.
    -All kicks must be aimed beneath the opponents knee (shin and foot area).
    -No knee or elbow strikes.
    -Hand strikes are to be performed with open hands (slaps).
    -Instead of actual takedowns, which are very dangerous without proper mats, takedowns will be simulated using the following system:

-Each opponent is limited to two takedown attempts per round unless he is a wrestler, in which case he is given three.
    -To initiate a takedown, shout TAKEDOWN!!!!
    -Both combatants then roll 3D6. Wrestlers are granted an extra 1D6 to all rolls.
    -To be acknowledged as a wrestler under this ruleset the combatant must wear a spandex leotard and have strongly considered trying out for high school wrestling at least two consecutive years.
    -If the TAKEDOWNER wins the roll by a margin of six or greater he is granted a dominant ground position of his choosing.
    -If the TAKEDOWNER wins by a margin of less than six he will get in his opponent's closed guard.
    -Should the roll result in a tie the TAKEDOWNER and DEFENDER shall realize how retarded they are and go train at an actual club.
    -Should the DEFENDER wins the roll by a margin of six or greater the TAKEDOWNER shall perform 15 burpees and the fight will resume standing.
    -Should the DEFENDER win the roll by a margin of less than six the fight shall resume standing without any burpees.
    Last edited by Ciderbone; 4/22/2011 11:57am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast