Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 12:56pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Art_of_Defence, thanks for clearing that up. That makes much more sense now than previously. Glad to hear your back but I am not familiar with your posts. I guess its because I usually lurk or post in other forums (PT, Skepticisim, YMAS)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 1:05pm

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Art_of_Defence, thanks for clearing that up. That makes much more sense now than previously. Glad to hear your back but I am not familiar with your posts. I guess its because I usually lurk or post in other forums (PT, Skepticisim, YMAS)

Nah, I joined and then got real busy, so my posts would not have been memorable. I think all I did was introduce myself b4 I went back to lurking

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2010 4:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    I think I heard of fight nerd before. Yeah, post it here or send me your podcast.
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cage-ra...4/03/tech-talk

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 12:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzal View Post
    I think you could argue that Camoes positioned himself, rather than Pellegrino putting him there.
    I guess that makes a difference.
    Kurt was aware of Camoes' positioning and deliberately spiked him on his head. If someone positions their calf across my face for an armbar, is it okay for my mouth to just open and close because he positioned himself there?

I may not understand the intent of the spiking rule, but I've never seen the "except when trying to escape a submission" clause attached to that or any of the other fouls in the Unified Rules anywhere other than non-referees on the internet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:10pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Hesperus, what I'm getting is that Camoes could have escaped being dropped on his head by just letting go. If someone picks you up and shoulder or hip throws you onto your head, you cannot choose to land any different.
    I know I am flip flopping sorta, but I got some good feedback when I asked the question and I've thought about what was said.

Comparing it to biting isn't okay because the rules do need to be interpreted, and they are going to be interpreted differently depending on the nature of the foul. For example if I fighter holds the cage for safety when they are being slammed, this will probably warrant a warning. If a fighter on the other hand deliberately kicks another fighter in the groin, this could warrant a disqualification.

Now regarding "except when trying to escape a submission", it could be argued that Pellegrino intended to make Camoes let go, not spike him on his head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Kurt was aware of Camoes' positioning and deliberately spiked him on his head. If someone positions their calf across my face for an armbar, is it okay for my mouth to just open and close because he positioned himself there?

I may not understand the intent of the spiking rule, but I've never seen the "except when trying to escape a submission" clause attached to that or any of the other fouls in the Unified Rules anywhere other than non-referees on the internet.
    The submission thing is always covered during the pre-fight meeting by the ref, anyone who's fought has been through this.

Biting is always illegal becaus a bite is a bite is a bite. But according to the rule as it is explained by refs before every show, dropping an opponent on their head is only "spiking" if you have established full control of your opponent. If they have the ability to let go and not get slammed, it is their responsibility to do it.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have the ability to move and not get kicked in the groin, is it your responsibility to do so?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, because a kick to the groin is always a kick to the groin. Getting dropped on your head is NOT always a "spike". The rule is against spiking, not against getting dropped on your head ever.

Are you actually confused or just being facetious??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:40pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    Are you actually confused or just being facetious??
    Hesperus is routinely an obstinate 'know it all' dumbass with very little martial arts experience of any sort. I don't believe he's every competed in a grappling competition, let alone mma, and he retains a fantasy world idea of how submissions work. While anyone who's competed would understand pretty clearly how they could stop trying to choke someone out or break their arm to avoid being slammed he seems to think this is the MANLY way to do it. Pretty sure he's actually confused, just leave it be.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    If you have the ability to move and not get kicked in the groin, is it your responsibility to do so?
    Yes, think about what happened with Paul Buentello trying to put his hand on the ground when he saw the knee flying at his face...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast