Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 4:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long-awaited rematch between Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves set for UFC 115 in Vancouver

Long-awaited rematch between Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves set for UFC 115 in Vancouver

TORONTO The long-delayed rematch between welterweights Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves will take place June 12 in Vancouver at UFC 115.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the mixed martial arts matchup via Twitter.

The two were originally slated to meet at UFC 107 in Memphis in December. But Alves was forced to drop out after suffering a torn posterior cruciate ligament in training.

The fight was rescheduled for UFC 111 in Newark on March 27 but was postponed again when a pre-fight CT scan showed an irregularity in Alves' brain. The Brazilian subsequently underwent surgery to remedy the problem.

Fitch went on to win a decision over Ben Saunders in Newark.

Fitch defeated Alves the first time they met in June 2006, catching him with an upkick before finishing him off.

The UFC has yet to confirm other fights on the card at Vancouver's GM Place.

Notes - The UFC has scheduled a replay of UFC 110 on Spike TV on April 17 to counter Strikeforce's live card in Nashville the same night. The Strikeforce card features the debut of former UFC and Pride veteran Dan Henderson, who takes on Strikeforce middleweight title-holder Jake Shields. The Spike replay will show six fights from the UFC 110 card, which took place Feb. 20 in Sydney, Australia, but not the one featuring Canadian light-heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...iB685-JnJs_oqg

Glad Alves is getting back into the game so soon!
    Looking forward to their rematch
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 8:49am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fitch is basically Koscheck without power. I expect Alves to take this one easily.

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 9:20am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alves is one of my favorite fighters, so I've been dying to see this one. He spent too much time dicking around on the ground looking for submissions he wasn't going to get in the first fight, but that was back in '06, and he's got more experience with grapplers at this point. I think he's learned his strength is obviously in his standup, and his takedown defense is pretty solid(as long as the other guy isn't GSP). Before GSP took him apart, he had a nice win streak going against three really good grapplers in Koscheck, Hughes, and Parisyan, and he crushed all three of them. I'd say he's learned his lesson.

I'm going with Alves. KO via face-shattering knee in the second round, after spending the first round pummeling Fitch's legs.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GSP took him apart? Yeah sure, dry humping him in his guard for 5 rounds sure was brutal way of beating him.

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 11:43am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alves by KO.

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    GSP took him apart? Yeah sure, dry humping him in his guard for 5 rounds sure was brutal way of beating him.
    Mostly I'm talking about the fact that Alves couldn't really do much to stop the takedown. Besides that, I think he had a decent shot to beat GSP, but he was so worried about getting taken down that he wouldn't throw anything standing up.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 4/06/2010 12:25pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 12:33pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    You can't deny that GSP dominated that entire fight.

Personally I give this one to Fitch, not only because I like the guy, but I really don't think anything short of a truck (or maybe Shane Carwin) can knock him out (yeah yeah, I know he was ko'ed before).
    That is one durable dude, and I definitely see him implementing a similar game plan against Alves that GSP did, to similar success.

I also think that calling Fitch "basically Koscheck without power" is far from accurate, since he's shown to have a far better chin and a much better record. Just saying, the dude's tough as nails.

So yeah, I'm saying Fitch by a hard-fought UD.

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 12:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Personally I give this one to Fitch, not only because I like the guy, but I really don't think anything short of a truck (or maybe Shane Carwin) can knock him out (yeah yeah, I know he was ko'ed before).
    That is one durable dude, and I definitely see him implementing a similar game plan against Alves that GSP did, to similar success.
    Don't get me wrong, he's obviously hard to finish, considering it's only happened twice in 26 fights. But I don't think he's fought anybody else with the kind of straight-up one hit KO power that Alves brings. I mean, look at their first fight- Alves only really lands one strike standing up(leg kick), but it knocked Fitch flat on his ass. That combined with his greater experience with wrestlers, I think, is going to get him the win.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/07/2010 7:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His ability to shut down guys with great physical attributes is impressive but hes always fighting guys that are borderline top 10-15, the only true top fighter he has faced for the last years was GSP and we know how that went.