POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 5:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF BJJ!?!?!?!?

I go home from uni in the summer and figured I'd do some gi BJJ at my old mma gym, after all its 'Basically Just Judo' amirite?

perhaps not, after watching some mundials on youtube it just seems that the standup version is virtually non-existent. One guy shoots, one guy pulls guard.. surely this isn't the case?

I'd appreciate some videos of a takedown actually occurring in BJJ just because it is mildly depressing to think my improved judo will be of no use.

this isn't a bjj vs judo thread. I just want to know what actually happens when it comes to standup in BJJ, if I dont get to use my takedowns for a whole summer I would imagine they would go to ****
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 5:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why should there be standup in BJJ when you can pull guard?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 5:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but.. BJJ is t3h de4dly! it needs takedowns!!! :(
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bjj has a takedown: the traditional shitty bjj double leg. against anybody other than wrestlers and judoka, it works pretty well.

the rules don't reward quality takedown work. which would a coach rather invest mat hours training students for:

• technical throw directly to mount, for two points
    • pull guard to sweep to mount, for six points

it's ridiculous, but that's how it is most of the time. (or was, last time i looked at the scoring. been a while)

fact is, you can't lose a bjj match due to poor take down skills. you can get put in a position to lose, sure, but... bjj is kinda about how to get out of shitty positions on the ground. THAT, we're all already training for.

(me, i'd like more practice with standup grappling in class - but every time i stand up, i get hurt)

edit: that was all more jumbled than i wanted it to be.
    Last edited by pauli; 4/05/2010 6:31am at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah wut.
    has anyone ever managed an ippon style throw in a BJJ tournament?

I take it the experience would still be worth doing as long as they start from standing though?
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good takedowns happen all the time in tournaments - by people with wrestling or judo experience, or people training under a coach with one of the above.

thing is, starting people standing up in class means you can fit massively fewer people on the mats at one time, and you have to teach people how to breakfall properly. it's MUCH easier to teach someone how to make grips, put a foot on the hip, and sit down.

also, mind two rules: no slamming (protects guard jumpers), and "deliver your opponent safely to the mat," which i have always had explained as "no projection throws" (in addition to "don't spike him on his head, jackass").

the point of a bjj tournament is ground work. getting there is pretty much secondary.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    ah wut.
    has anyone ever managed an ippon style throw in a BJJ tournament?

I take it the experience would still be worth doing as long as they start from standing though?

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    bjj has a takedown: the traditional shitty bjj double leg. against anybody other than wrestlers and judoka, it works pretty well.

the rules don't reward quality takedown work. which would a coach rather invest mat hours training students for:

• technical throw directly to mount, for two points
    • pull guard to sweep to mount, for six points
    At the tournaments I've been to you'd get two for the takedown and four for mount, for a total of six.

You'd also get nothing for guard pulling, two or three for a sweep, plus two for mount, for a total of six or seven depending on the exact tournament.

I have never read a point scheme that would result in the numbers you're talking about. The rest I agree with.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:44am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BJJ class does 30 minutes of throws / takedowns every lesson. It's not normal as most BJJ classes I went too usually started with hip escapes or other such warm ups.

Posted On:
    4/05/2010 6:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    At the tournaments I've been to you'd get two for the takedown and four for mount, for a total of six.

You'd also get nothing for guard pulling, two or three for a sweep, plus two for mount, for a total of six or seven depending on the exact tournament.

I have never read a point scheme that would result in the numbers you're talking about. The rest I agree with.
    i freely admit it to being fuzzy on the matter. what i was (poorly, it's early) trying to get at was that the point system does not reward takedowns, and especially throws, as well as it might.
    Last edited by pauli; 4/05/2010 6:54am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast