Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 8:47am

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i tend to think that your average butcher knows more about cutting than most who study martial arts.
    New crosstraining idea maybe?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm hungry.

sign me up.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 9:23am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    i'm hungry.

sign me up.
    Hey, I'm serious about not posting low content YMAS style crap in the technique fora. That includes the Armory.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oops.

sorry, boss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 2:26pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i could be wrong, but:

i tend to think that your average butcher knows more about cutting than most who study martial arts. i'm very skeptical there are many people who "do it right" in terms of learning to dice up a living human with a sword. it's been a long time since there have been a lot of opportunities to try this stuff out.
    There are plenty of Japanese sword styles that practice test cutting/tameshigiri. ARMA, and groups like it are probably learning how to properly "do it right" as well.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Yeah, it's not like people spend years and years of their lives learning to do it right or anything.

What you did is to swordsmanship what backyard wrasslin' is to BJJ.
    Doing it absolutely perfectly right isn't the same thing as being able to cause substantial injury and/or damage to a non-resisting target.

Do you think someone has to be some kind of master swordsman to grab a machete and kill a restrained pig? Unless he has the pinnacle of swordsmanship the machete somehow won't work?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 6:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    no machete?
    No...in retrospect it might have been a good idea to buy one for the occasion.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 8:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Doing it absolutely perfectly right isn't the same thing as being able to cause substantial injury and/or damage to a non-resisting target.

Do you think someone has to be some kind of master swordsman to grab a machete and kill a restrained pig? Unless he has the pinnacle of swordsmanship the machete somehow won't work?
    Hey, there was no condescension intended. My point was that you should no more expect to be able to use a sword well without training, than you should expect to grapple well without training.

If you were to post "me and my boys were wrasslin' in the yard and we discovered the guard sucks!", you'd be ridiculed. Why is this any different? The sword was the personal weapon of choice in many cultures for thousands of years, they obviously do work.

Furthermore, you shouldn't be surprised that you weren't that effective against armour, considering your total lack of even the most rudimentary experience.

But since you're being a pissy fucking ****** about it, no, you obviously couldn't kill that pig you useless twat, by your own fucking admission.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 4/06/2010 8:24pm at .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 8:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Hey, there was no condescension intended. My point was that you should no more expect to be able to use a sword well without training, than you should expect to grapple well without training.

If you were to post "me and my boys were wrasslin' in the yard and we discovered the guard sucks!", you'd be ridiculed. Why is this any different? The sword was the personal weapon of choice in many cultures for thousands of years, they obviously do work.

Furthermore, you shouldn't be surprised that you weren't that effective against armour, considering your total lack of even the most rudimentary experience.

But since you're being a pissy fucking ****** about it, no, you obviously couldn't kill that pig you useless twat, by your own fucking admission.
    Sigh, you can get your e-points, and claim that I just said something completely nonsensical in my OP like "swords don't work", I don't care. Obviously your main concern is whether or not you get to call someone a ****** on the internet.

EDIT: The restrained pig I mentioned is actually a reference to tied up pigs being killed in Micronesia for community festivals. They would be stabbed in the heart with a machete. This never required any great or special skill to be able to do. So my point is that being able to kill something with a machete isn't hard even without great skill, and being able to slice through leather with a cut has nothing to do with whether or not you could kill something by stabbing it. I mean, even the axe was bouncing off the leather. Are you now going to tell me that we had no idea how to swing an axe correctly, or that I'm construing an axe as a useless tool?
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 4/06/2010 8:58pm at .

Posted On:
    4/06/2010 9:12pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ther is lots of nasty machete violence against civilians going on in Africa right now. Several hundred people were killed in Nigeria just recently. If anyone is wondering the amount of training you need to do damage against an unarmored victim, I'd suggest looking at these conflicts.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast