Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 3:44pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agreed with the decision as well, and I don't particularly love/hate either fighter.

Neither fighter dictated the pace, hell they moved at different paces the whole fight.

Edgar was certainly the BUSIER fighter, and given the complete lack of any other clearly dominant characteristic of the fight, that got him the decision.

BJ stood in the center of the cage and acted like a turret. Returning fire when he saw an opportunity. This is solid strategy if you are scoring and doing damage. But I've watched it twice and Frankie never looked hurt. Not once. Hell, he never even slowed down. So who is to say BJ's strikes were heavier?

It is entirely valid to view the fight as BJ Penn waiting for Frankie to collide with a fist. It is also valid to say BJ was employing strategy to avoid getting into a cardio contest with what appeared to be, for all intents and purposes, a shaved badger in fight shorts.

Absent a knockout, if you fail to convincingly demonstrate the superiority of your strategy, you end up looking like punching bag and losing decisions. Granted, BJ was never in any real danger form Frankie, but he looked lazy, and frustrated, and incompetent. Whereas Frankie looked sharp, aggressive, comfortable and VERY busy.

If BJ wanted to win, he should have realized by the third round or so that the turret shtick wasn't working and that maybe his corner had a good idea when he said "take it to the ground."
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

If BJ wanted to win, he should have realized by the third round or so that the turret shtick wasn't working and that maybe his corner had a good idea when he said "take it to the ground."
    It annoys me to no end when I see fighters known for their top tier grappling use striking exclusively during their fights.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to summise:

1) BJ was a tit.

2) Frankie probably won't have the belt for very long without continued decision victories against fighters capable of stoppages (Florian, Sanchez)

3) If he still has the belt by the time BJ gets a rematch he will probably decide he was a tit in the first fight and start listening to his fucking corner
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 5:58pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't even really like Penn but I am annoyed with his stupidity, if you are as good a fighter as him, don't be an idiot.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:39am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva told Maia during their fight: “You f***ing momma’s boy, show me your Jiu-Jitsu”
    http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/04/14/s...itsu%e2%80%9d/

Speaking via GracieMag.com, Maia said:

“I just thought it was disrespectful for him to swear at me during the fight, saying things like, ‘You (explicative) momma’s boy, show me your Jiu-Jitsu.’ That type of stuff. I felt it was disrespectful and unnecessary. Aside from that, it was a normal fight.”

“He begged my forgiveness and I feel everyone makes mistakes, tha’s normal. I feel something influenced him afterwards and he came up with that statement about me having disrespected him. I never made any strong statements and, even if I had, it would have been to promote the fight, which is normal. The fight ends and the two fighters embrace.”

Real classy Anderson...

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:44am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geez ... classy of Maia though, nice to see he can rise above that ****.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 5:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't believe Penn didn't take it to the ground like his corner told him to. I'm not really partial to BJ Penn, but it's disappointing to see someone with his level of skill not fight using every tool at his disposal. I don't understand the strategy of fighting to virtual stalemate.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 9:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by heikengi View Post
    I couldn't believe Penn didn't take it to the ground like his corner told him to. I'm not really partial to BJ Penn, but it's disappointing to see someone with his level of skill not fight using every tool at his disposal. I don't understand the strategy of fighting to virtual stalemate.
    I don't get it.. its like Matt Hughes suddenly becoming a really bad mt guy

..its like they've only just figured out that grappling is for homos
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

blotter art.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 1:11pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha it really is.

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 1:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    during the fight, saying things like, ‘You (explicative) momma’s boy, show me your Jiu-Jitsu.’

Real classy Anderson...
    I'd much rather fighters did stuff like this in the ring than the usual cycle of fake hype before the fight and fake manhug after the fight. "Where's your BJJ now momma's boy!" That's pretty badass, I'm sorry.